Receivers that decode 4.0 PCM/MLP recordings over HDMI

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a Marantz SR7011 and it fails to play the surround back tracks (DSOTM and WYWH Blu-rays, for example).
Around 4 months ago I opened a ticket to Marantz using their local dealer in Spain and from the scarce info I've got, they took the time to understand and reproduce the issue (I sent them some flac files). Last I heard from them was in July and since then, nothing. I'll ping them back next week.
Having said that, I've got very small expectations they will solve the problem, but let's see

I've got a Marantz SR7011 and it fails to play the surround back tracks (DSOTM and WYWH Blu-rays, for example).
Around 4 months ago I opened a ticket to Marantz using their local dealer in Spain and from the scarce info I've got, they took the time to understand and reproduce the issue (I sent them some flac files). Last I heard from them was in July and since then, nothing. I'll ping them back next week.
Having said that, I've got very small expectations they will solve the problem, but let's see
Cesar, what is the actual make of the player? Not the AVR

Cesar, what is the actual make of the player? Not the AVR
I've got an Oppo BDP 93 and a Sony UBP-X800. Behaviour seems to be independent of the player, as long as you use HDMI cable. Marantz technical support reproduced the problem with a different player (but I wasn't told which one)

I also wonder if it matters which HDMI port you're plugged into. On my Emotiva there are different versions of HDMI. Just a thought.

Maybe its something specific to my sons Xbox that allows it...IDK

I also wonder if it matters which HDMI port you're plugged into. On my Emotiva there are different versions of HDMI. Just a thought.

Maybe its something specific to my sons Xbox that allows it...IDK
No clue, honestly. I would assume that it's a decoding issue of the receivers, as the behaviour changes as soon as you add a fake silent center channel and get 5.0. My two players are connected to different ports of the AVR, I guess that also rules out that certain ports can play it or not.

So to be clear the Chicago Quadio BD's are 24/192 4.0 channel DTSHD-MAS and play quad just fine for me on my Oppo's BDP-80. I verified quad by ripping to dtshd, playing in Foobar and observing the waveform, then converting dtshd to mch wav (all with AudioMuxer) and looking at in Audition.
But mlp/DVDA 4.0 gives only 2.0 from quad with this Onkyo TR656 receiver unless played through my Oppo 103.
Don't remember now what 4.0 files do over HDMI with this receiver and can't test right now ...maybe later today or tomorrow.

My friend has been pounding away at Marantz over this for over 2 years now. They're not going to do anything. At least Onkyo did.

I got a response from Marantz support (and they closed the ticket). I will reopen it again with the help of my local dealer. Just judge yourselves:

I am very Sorry that you did not receive an answer until now. We shifted our backend of customer service and unfortunately it seems that this incident was "lost" (or simply not answered) from one of the guys who had to leave the company.

This is what we tested but was not forwarded to you:

UD5007 output set to PCM

1. 4.0 signal: SR7013 does not recognize correct input signal

2. 5.1 signal: SR7013 recognizes 5.1 and also outputs 5.1

with Oppo 203 additional tested:

1. 4.0 signal: SR7013 recognizes correctly 4.0 input signal and outputs 5,1

So finally I assume this is not an issue with SR7011, it is more an issue with PCM file which then it not correctly outputted from UD5007.

So everything is correct, except the pcm file. Maybe encoder not set correctly while ripped.

BS. The issue is that the UD5007 is putting out a proper 4.0 while the Oppo is putting that 4.0 into a proper 5.1 container (just as I can using JRiver). The answer is that the SR7013 cannot play a 4.0 bitstream.

BS. The issue is that the UD5007 is putting out a proper 4.0 while the Oppo is putting that 4.0 into a proper 5.1 container (just as I can using JRiver). The answer is that the SR7013 cannot play a 4.0 bitstream.
Hi Kal, which Oppo model began to change the 4.0 to a 5.0 container? I was really puzzled at that part of their answer, as my Oppo 93 leaves the 4.0 untouched, as one can expect from a bitstream of audio (the player should send the audio bits unchanged, leaving all the processing to the AVR)

I got a response from Marantz support (and they closed the ticket). I will reopen it again with the help of my local dealer. Just judge yourselves:

I am very Sorry that you did not receive an answer until now. We shifted our backend of customer service and unfortunately it seems that this incident was "lost" (or simply not answered) from one of the guys who had to leave the company.

This is what we tested but was not forwarded to you:
UD5007 output set to PCM
1. 4.0 signal: SR7013 does not recognize correct input signal

with Oppo 203 additional tested:
1. 4.0 signal: SR7013 recognizes correctly 4.0 input signal and outputs 5,1

So finally I assume this is not an issue with SR7011, it is more an issue with PCM file which then it not correctly outputted from UD5007.
So everything is correct, except the pcm file. Maybe encoder not set correctly while ripped.

This is exactly what I tried to explain in an earlier post.

Hi Kal, which Oppo model began to change the 4.0 to a 5.0 container? I was really puzzled at that part of their answer, as my Oppo 93 leaves the 4.0 untouched, as one can expect from a bitstream of audio (the player should send the audio bits unchanged, leaving all the processing to the AVR)
Check the Oppo and try changing the output settings. I think my Oppo 83 will pass 4.0 properly and it is a generation older than your 93

My Denon AVR7200WA can’t play 4.0. I went through a debug log generated from Kodi playing a pure quad FLAC and it showed the AVR did not HDMI handshake correctly. On initial play the player asks the AVR, ‘’can you play FR, FL, RR, RL”, the AVR replies with “Yes, I’ve opened those 4 channels and ready”, player sends quad, AVR plays stereo. It’s an AVR firmware bug.

The only workaround is for the player to send more than 4 channels.

I have a slightly older Onkyo TX-NR809, and I have all of my audio discs ripped to flac files and play them back with Kodi. All of my 4.0 flac files play back correctly as 4.0 Quad through my old Onkyo.

Sucks about the Marantz and Denons having this bug as those are my top two choices for when I upgrade to Atmos in a few months. They both have Audyssey Sub EQ HT which eq's two subwoofers independently, and I really want that feature. Onkyo and Integra downgraded their DSPs to AccuEQ, which from what I've read is nowhere near as good.

I do not know and, also, I am not sure whether César is playing a disc or a file.

As far as I know their has been 3 different chip sets for Oppo. 80 series, 100 series and 200 series. Bdp83 and 203 will not play pcm 4.0 on my Marantz SR7010.

The OPPO 103 is the only one that the bad receivers recognize properly (it was the only one to work with my Integea until the firmware fix). The 83 or 203 do not. OPPOs do not convert 4.0 to 5.0.

The OPPO 103 is the only one that the bad receivers recognize properly (it was the only one to work with my Integea until the firmware fix). The 83 or 203 do not. OPPOs do not convert 4.0 to 5.0.
I've got a Denon AVR 6500H, and never notived a problem, most of my playing is with Roon in multichannel flac, this convert to 5.1 by the software.
I played a Quadro-Surround-Musicproduction DVD-A (only quad available on disc) and this sends 4.0 and this is decoded just fine on the AVR also only 4 channels lit up in the graphics. I use Oppo203 clone to play this.

I do not know and, also, I am not sure whether César is playing a disc or a file.
Behaviour is independent of the source format, I get the same if I play the Blu-ray or a flac file (take DSOTM or WYWH as examples). I sent to Marantz a flac file and they are blaming my ripping

Back