• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Splitting One 5.1 FLAC Album Into Individual 5.1 FLACs Per Song

timothyemerson

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
I'm an Audacity newbie and have question that I can't seem to find an answer to online:

1. I have a 5.1 album that is one FLAC and I want to split it up into individual 5.1 FLACs for each song.

2. I've downloaded Audacity (first time user) and added Labels at the beginning of each song.

3. When I File - Export - Export Multiple, it splits each song according to the Labels I positioned at the beginning of each song (which is good) but each FLAC is stereo instead of 5.1.

4. If I File - Export - Export Audio, I can see the 6 Output Channels but it just outputs the audio as one FLAC for the whole album.

I'm probably missing some simple step but can't seem to figure it out for myself. Can anyone let me know what I'm doing wrong?

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Been awhile since I've tried parsing out a single multi-channel file into individual songs, but I think what you find is a limitation of Audacity. If I recall, what I had to do (and you won't like hearing this) is take the whole file, copy and paste the first song into a new Audacity window, export that single song. One, song at a time. If you know what I mean.

JonUrban

Administrator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
Yup. That's the only way I know to do it. Manual edit/copy/paste as new

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Been awhile since I've tried parsing out a single multi-channel file into individual songs, but I think what you find is a limitation of Audacity. If I recall, what I had to do (and you won't like hearing this) is take the whole file, copy and paste the first song into a new Audacity window, export that single song. One, song at a time. If you know what I mean.
You could also just highlight the space between your labels (make sure you get all six channels) and click "export selected audio" - no need to open a new window.

Audacity_Export.jpg

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
You could also just highlight the space between your labels (make sure you get all six channels) and click "export selected audio" - no need to open a new window.

View attachment 43823
Yep, that would work. I think I cut and paste as it keeps me sure which songs I’ve done. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sukothai

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
You can also use foobar2000. Just select one track and right click on it and then click on "Convert" and then "Quick convert". Select your output format (FLAC in this case) and adjust any parameters (bit depth or FLAC level) and click "Convert". The track will be written with the original album title with the track number in brackets at the end. This method requires you have defined the tracks with a cue file beforehand.

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
You can also use foobar2000. Just select one track and right click on it and then click on "Convert" and then "Quick convert". Select your output format (FLAC in this case) and adjust any parameters (bit depth or FLAC level) and click "Convert". The track will be written with the original album title with the track number in brackets at the end. This method requires you have defined the tracks with a cue file beforehand.
How does the cue file get associated with what you're explaining in Foobar2000, and I'll give it a try; I've also got some of these types of long albums to split and I've been dreading the work in Audacity?

Last edited:

sukothai

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
You associate the cue file with "Utilities"/"Edit cuesheet".

If the "FILE" parameter in the cue file points to the correct flac file, then you can just load the cue file in foobar2000 without associating it.

atrocity

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
This method requires you have defined the tracks with a cue file beforehand.
I was going to suggest this as well. Cue sheets aren't necessarily all that easy to create, but they're probably a bit less work than the alternative.

You can also write commandline code to have SoX split things up, but unless you plan to do a lot of it, the learning curve is probably pointlessly steep.

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
I was going to suggest this as well. Cue sheets aren't necessarily all that easy to create, but they're probably a bit less work than the alternative.

You can also write commandline code to have SoX split things up, but unless you plan to do a lot of it, the learning curve is probably pointlessly steep.
Thanks guys, I've got some experience with writing Cue sheets, but was unsure how they associate. I'll definitely be trying that one.