The Guess Who original (released) Quad?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandrix

Senior Surround Collector
QQ Supporter
I'm calling upon my more Quad educated friends to please tell me what quad recordings were released originally by The Guess Who.
Yes I've searched, but there are many people here that know more than I or any Google search will bring.
Why all this, boon? you ask.
Well I ran upon this, uh, "listing" and want to verify it's veracity. Simple as that, and I don't know a better bunch of folks to ask.

http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadpall.htm

IMG_5583.PNG

"Artificial Paradise", "Flavours", and "Power In The Music" all sound like fake quad to me. For my money, the best mixes are "Road Food" and "Best of Vol. 2".

The early ones ("Wheatfield Soul" to "Best of Vol. 1") are early experimental quad mixes with lots of gimmicky panning effects. I personally like them ("American Woman" sounds great on the Japan pressed CD-4 LP), but those used to modern surround mixing might not be so impressed.

Last edited:
Thanks, sjcorne, and especially thanks for your comments on fake quad.
...for some of the recordings I heard, I felt that way myself!
Thanks also to the folks backing up sjcorne's post!

But anyway the recordings I heard were supposed to be :
Share The Land-[SACD]
American Woman-[SACD]
Canned Wheat-{SACD]

I thought at first they must be upmixes, as the sound was nowhere near discrete on all music. But it is what it is, and I will make an offer on the discs.

Thanks, sjcorne, and especially thanks for your comments on fake quad.
...for some of the recordings I heard, I felt that way myself!
Thanks also to the folks backing up sjcorne's post!

But anyway the recordings I heard were supposed to be :
Share The Land-[SACD]
American Woman-[SACD]
Canned Wheat-{SACD]

I thought at first they must be upmixes, as the sound was nowhere near discrete on all music. But it is what it is, and I will make an offer on the discs.

No problem! Check your PM.

Yes, Artifical Paradise is for the most part a minor quad mix full of echo .

The rest are pretty good , I think anyways . Musically their last 2 quads did not impress me . That'd be Flavours and Power In The Music .

And SACD in surround (QUAD )would be just three albums (so far ) , Best (vol one ), #10 , and Road Food .

And a solo effort .....Not a very good quad but musically ok is the debut from Burton Cummings , self titled album. .

In 5.1 they have a 90's reunion concert disc (DD ) live in Winnipeg. "Running Back Thru Canada ". I think I should finally pull the trigger and pick it up . It was filmed during a thunderstorm in the downtown baseball park (open venue ).

Back