Who has Dave Mason "Let It Flow" SQ Quadraphonic Record?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Quad Guy

Quadraphonic Preservation
Staff member
Damn, Damn Damn! Another title I sold to Rasputin's Records in 1980. I have not seen this title on eBay in the last 9 years - been looking for it to show up so I could bid on it - and I do not see it in any of the Quadraphonic Discography listings anywhere. Issued at the end of the Quad era, late 70's around 1977. Not as rare as Blue Oyster Cult's "Agents of Fortune" SQ Quad from the year before, because I saw it for sell at many of the regular retail stores here in the San Francisco Bay Area. But it was sold in very small quantities - from what I saw. I remember seeing 2 or 3 here, 3 or 4 there amongst the Stereo versions, but it sold out fairly quickly. By "quickly" I mean quick by 1970's standards, a couple of months or so. I never thought it was THAT rare of a record at the time although it was rare as new titles were not being released so much anymore (if at all) by major artists. It had a great mix and the hit's "We Just Disagree" and "Let It Go, Let It Flow" with the usual SQ Quad logo in White at the top front of record, in the red strip. The same logo type as Aerosmith's SQ "Rocks." It also did not have the Columbia records "Promotional" stamp on the back, it looked like a regular SQ Quad release.

I hope someone out there has this in Quadraphonic...

Attachments

• Dave_Mason_Let_it_Flow.jpg
    Dave_Mason_Let_it_Flow.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 220
Jim,

I don't recall this one ever coming out in SQ quad. It's number is certainly "in the scope", as this wuold have been PCQ-34680 and there was a PCQ-34682 (Return to Forever/MusicMagic). However, the prior PCQ release was PEQ-34462, some 200 albums before it.

If anyone has this one, please post a scan! I know I've never seen it.

In 1977, I would not buy any newly released CBS stereo release, waiting for the SQ version to come out. The last time that worked was for Loggins & Messina-Native Sons. It didn't work for Boston, Bat Out Of Hell, or Let It low, none of which came out in SQ, signaling the death of the format. I broke down & bought all 3 in 1978.

Hey does anybody remember the quad mix of Dave Masons' Alone Together?
Now that was a great record! Another one I sold to Rasputins Records in 1981. Too bad they never made a DVDA of that one! :(

Jim,

I don't recall this one ever coming out in SQ quad. It's number is certainly "in the scope", as this wuold have been PCQ-34680 and there was a PCQ-34682 (Return to Forever/MusicMagic). However, the prior PCQ release was PEQ-34462, some 200 albums before it.

If anyone has this one, please post a scan! I know I've never seen it.

Thanks Jon for the info. At least the numbers supports some sort of "prima facie" evidence that it was released. It had to have come out about the same time PCQ-34682, "Return to Forever/Musicmagic" 1977 did with PCQ-34680.

I would add that as one who worked at 3 different record stores in 1976-78 and before and after that checked the catalogs at the record stores for product, many titles were not in them. So one can't go by old record catalogs alone for everything released in Quad in the 1970's. It's also not like Dave Mason never released anything in Quad and "Let It FLow" - if you're to believe that there were some floating around here in 1977 - was his forth Quad record to be released in a row following the previous three:
1973 It's Like You Never Left
1974 Dave Mason
1975 Split Coconut
1977 Let It Flow

Dave Mason Wiki Discography:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Mason#Discography

I post this thread today because I just checked the QQ and Mark Anderson's Quad Discography today and did not find it in the Discography's. I checked them - assuming it was already listed there - because of this Quad eBay listing: DAVE MASON - All 3 Quadraphonic lps - Columbia SQ Promo. 250476427681.

The numbers before "Let It Flow” 34680 and in between PCQ-34682, "Return to Forever/Musicmagic" were:

1977 - Walter Egan - Fundamental Roll - PC 34679
1977 - Timberline - The Great Timber Rush - PE 34681

I did not find any numbers for 34683. 1977 was pretty much the “drop dead” year for Quad in the 70’s IMHO, although you could see it coming the year before. I remember being frustrated that there were no new titles that I wanted, so Stereo we had to go with. Seeing Walter Egan's records again reminds me of that. I thought they would have sounded great in Quad, but one knew it just wasn't going to happen by then. The record companies were making too much money with Stereo records and cassettes to go to the "trouble" of doing Quad mixes. At least that's how I remember it.

One other thing about the Quadraphonic version of this title. It did not have a gold label (there is a Stereo Red Columbia label), but one with the with white and blue label (see below). Also, you could tell the Quad and Stereo versions apart by the thick red bar around the edges of the front and back of record, like on the CD version at the first post. Thus the Quad version somewhat ruined the effect of having different sides of his face on each side of the cover because they made the art smaller to fit the art within the red bars on the front and back cover on the Quad version. I remember that. The red bars were created so the SQ Quad logo in White at the top front of record would fit on the cover or look right – that was obvious by seeing the cover why the bigger red bars surrounding the edges were on the front and back.

There are 2 CD versions of this title that came out in 1990 and 2008. I’m curious to buy them and run them through a decoder. I’m also curious why the CD versions have the same red bars - just like about the same size as the Quad record. Why didn't they just follow the Stereo version and ruin the effect of his face on each side of the cover? I'm still looking for the Quad version of this record.

Attachments

• FundamentalRoll.jpg
    FundamentalRoll.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 169
  • Timberline.jpg
    Timberline.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 170
  • DAVEMASON1.JPG
    DAVEMASON1.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 186
One other thing about the Quadraphonic version of this title. It did not have a gold label (there is a Stereo Red Columbia label), but one with the with white and blue label (see below). Also, you could tell the Quad and Stereo versions apart by the thick red bar around the edges of the front and back of record, like on the CD version at the first post. Thus the Quad version somewhat ruined the effect of having different sides of his face on each side of the cover because they made the art smaller to fit the art within the red bars on the front and back cover on the Quad version. I remember that. The red bars were created so the SQ Quad logo in White at the top front of record would fit on the cover or look right – that was obvious by seeing the cover why the bigger red bars surrounding the edges were on the front and back.

There are 2 CD versions of this title that came out in 1990 and 2008. I’m curious to buy them and run them through a decoder. I’m also curious why the CD versions have the same red bars - just like about the same size as the Quad record. Why didn't they just follow the Stereo version and ruin the effect of his face on each side of the cover? I'm still looking for the Quad version of this record.
This is not true. All stereo copies had the red bar (which is why the CD has it), & first stereo pressings (and maybe the next few) had the custom "blue wave" label. My stetreo copy has both features. The "face effect" was ruined on all covers.

This is not true. All stereo copies had the red bar (which is why the CD has it), & first stereo pressings (and maybe the next few) had the custom "blue wave" label. My stetreo copy has both features. The "face effect" was ruined on all covers.

Agreed. But what I'm referring to is the Quad version had the red bar "exaggerated," thicker than the thin bar as seen in the above photo of the Stereo record, making the cover art slightly smaller to fit into the red bars which were about half inch to an inch thick. All Stereo versions - the one's I've seen - have a thin red bar around them. I've never seen a Stereo record version with a thick bar. Compare the CD with the record please. The CD looks very much like how I remember the Quad cover. The SQ logo fits perfectly there on top in the red bar. I feel sick over this... I wish I had the records to share and prove they existed.

Attachments

• Dave_Mason_Let_it_Flow.jpg.jpg
    Dave_Mason_Let_it_Flow.jpg.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 175
  • davemason2.JPG
    davemason2.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 170
Agreed. But what I'm referring to is the Quad version had the red bar "exaggerated," thicker than the thin bar as seen in the above photo of the Stereo record, making the cover art slightly smaller to fit into the red bars which were about half inch to an inch thick. All Stereo versions - the one's I've seen - have a thin red bar around them. I've never seen a Stereo record version with a thick bar. Compare the CD with the record please. The CD looks very much like how I remember the Quad cover. The SQ logo fits perfectly there on top in the red bar. I feel sick over this... I wish I had the records to share and prove they existed.
I always assumed that the thick border on the CD was just a random LP-CD difference. Maybe it is a CBS case of the quad layout taking over, like Full Sail.

I always assumed that the thick border on the CD was just a random LP-CD difference. Maybe it is a CBS case of the quad layout taking over, like Full Sail.

Wow! I never knew that about "Full Sail." If this is the CD you're referring to:

http://www.amazon.com/Full-Sail-Loggins-Messina/dp/B00000251I

And this is the CD I'm referring to:

http://www.amazon.com/Let-Flow-Dave...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1249370855&sr=1-2

According to the info at Amazon both CD's were released at almost the same time by Sony. "Full Sail" CD October 25, 1990 and "Let It Flow" CD August 20, 1990.

Wow! I never knew that about "Full Sail." If this is the CD you're referring to:

http://www.amazon.com/Full-Sail-Loggins-Messina/dp/B00000251I
Well, yeah, but it wasn't only the CD. When Full Sail stereo LP was originally released, the title was much larger & went up to the top of the LP (and did not overlap the picture). The quad version was in large letters across the top (no gold border--this was after they abandoned the gold borders), thus shrinking down the title & moving it downward on the cover. All subsequent stereo LPs (and all CDs) kept the smaller & lower title & just erased the SQ logos (on the pic of the CD you can see the remaining blank space). The same thing may have happened to Let It Flow (even if the quad LP never actually came out, the cover change still could have taken place).

Never released. If you follow some of the abc artists with the releases after the last quads, they do exist. I have Shades by Keith Jarrett, which is a qs encoded lp. Does not say so. That being said, these were single issues, unlike Sony which did both stereo and sq titles. And by then, Sony quad at Stamford was being dismantled(1977). My guess is if it was way into production it got released(return to forever), but anything else was canned. This could have been one, and write dave or go to a show and ask. Not that he would know!

Never released. If you follow some of the abc artists with the releases after the last quads, they do exist. I have Shades by Keith Jarrett, which is a qs encoded lp. Does not say so. That being said, these were single issues, unlike Sony which did both stereo and sq titles. And by then, Sony quad at Stamford was being dismantled(1977). My guess is if it was way into production it got released(return to forever), but anything else was canned. This could have been one, and write dave or go to a show and ask. Not that he would know!

I see, so by 1977 Columbia's Quad mixing studio would have started to be or was completely dismantled. That makes sense since the year before 1976 we started to see less titles or to "Stereo only" releases. You can see the decline of Quad here and by 1978 one could forget any major titles by anyone - just going by memory. Quad was effectively dead in 78, but strangely enough, people installing stereo cassette decks into their cars used 4 speakers, 2 for the front and 2 for the back as most decks – as I remember it – had the wiring for 4 speakers. Well some people didn't want to cut holes in their doors! :) Just no Quad cassettes or any new Quad material. But four speaker’s front and back still remain today as standard equipment in new cars, as a friend just found out with a new Ford “focus.”

Doing more research in the last few days what’s not mentioned on Wiki is that Dave Mason’s record company released “Certified Live” in a sort of like Peter Frampton pose like on “Frampton Comes Alive” to cash in on said record. And why not? Both records are similar types of music and this was a great live record. Point being though, no Studio album that year in 1976. Here is Dave Mason’s e-mail from his Official website: http://www.dave-mason.com/contact.html

Speculation:
So it would be interesting to find out when “Let It Flow” was recorded. According to Amazon, It came out in April 1977. I’m guessing he was still recording new studio stuff in 1975 / 76 since the release of 1975’s “Split Coconut.” And since the previous 3 records of his were mixed into Quad and he was a major artist they were still doing the Quad mix. A few copies were released, but perhaps the label didn’t print as many as say an Aerosmith Quad record because the demand was low - because it was 1977 - and the record companies were more interested in pushing the Stereo product as one of his biggest hit’s up to then was “We Just Disagree” on "Let It Flow." They played the shit out of that song on AM radio!

Almost same situation – I’m speculating – happened with the Blue Oyster Cult’s "Agents of Fortune" Quad release. Although I only saw 2 copies EVER at Wherehouse records in Concord on Willow Pass Road and I bought one of them, Blue Oyster Cult was also having its first AM break though hit with “Don’t Fear The Reaper.” Why bother confusing the market with Quad product when lots of people, pot smoking teenagers, are all of a sudden discovering this "new" act and buying lots of stereo records. Perhaps in both cases contractually Quad mixes had to have been produced as in both artists cases their previous releases were released in Quad, but were not released for one reason or another (like a mix being rejected) and a few copies made it out of the plant by mistake or were released in very small numbers just to fulfill the contact.

Not Speculation:
I am absolutely positive I owned these 2 records. I remember too many small details about each, including the way the mixes sounded. Like Patty Smith’s voice coming from the right rear speaker. I owned no more rare Quad records and did not sell anything to Rasputin's Records between late 79 to 1980 that you can’t find today on eBay fairly easy. I do remember going to “Rather Ripped Records” in Berkeley and seeing a few items that claimed to be such and such, but I didn’t own them so I can’t say what was on them or not. “Rather Ripped Records” had the Quad Who and Rolling Stones Bootlegs we’ve seen on eBay. They also had many Japanese CD-4 Quads and different test pressings and the Brazil ELO record.

My only motive in posting about these 2 records is if anyone has them or seen them. And if not, if we could track them down or gain more info about their existence.

Back