"Top 3" 5.1 SACDs released in 2009

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean there were 600+ SACDs released this year, and basically, it comes down to............nothing spectacular.

WRONG! Just nothing you guys care about. :slap:

List 'em up, then. No one said they had to be pop/rock! Just looking for the best 3 surround SACDs released this year. They can be jazz, classical, choir, whatever. There have to be some good one's we've missed. (y)

Nah. Too much work but I have listed the ones I like in my column and selected a pair for our annual "best of" listing.

Also, I have a different taste in surround than most here. For example, a recent issue "The Virtual Haydn" (4 BRD, Naxos) is delightful and fascinating but nothing moves around.

C'mon Kal, we're no savages :ugham:
I myself don't mind if nothing moves around. It can be nice for certain things if not overused, but I would object it on, let say, a classical recording.
What I do enjoy is surround where the surrounds really offer something extra.

Also, I have a different taste in surround than most here. For example, a recent issue "The Virtual Haydn" (4 BRD, Naxos) is delightful and fascinating but nothing moves around.
Maybe the "Hooked On Classics" :mad:@: people will decide to do some multichannel remixing of some of their material and then we can all share the excitement together! :D

... For example, a recent issue "The Virtual Haydn" (4 BRD, Naxos) is delightful and fascinating but nothing moves around.

This is on my Xmas wishlist - I've read a few reviews and this should be more than a footnote of interest to members here. This is a BD Audio release that really utilizes the potential of BD from a technical perspective. Yes, it is solo keyboard so the notion of surround may seem a bit limited. However, without going into exhausive detail (check out the links below for that), each piece (over 14 hours worth of music) is peformed on a specific period keyboard (Piano, Fortepiano, clavichord, harpsichord, etc) in a specific historic room. Each room's ambience is presented as a critical element of the music and hence the surround environment. The acoustic science involved in this is quite fascinating. Take a minute to read the reviews to get a better informed idea of this - sounds pretty neat overall.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Virtual-Haydn-Blu-ray-Review/6978/

http://www.audaud.com/article?ArticleID=6652

This is on my Xmas wishlist - I've read a few reviews and this should be more than a footnote of interest to members here. This is a BD Audio release that really utilizes the potential of BD from a technical perspective. Yes, it is solo keyboard so the notion of surround may seem a bit limited. However, without going into exhausive detail (check out the links below for that), each piece (over 14 hours worth of music) is peformed on a specific period keyboard (Piano, Fortepiano, clavichord, harpsichord, etc) in a specific historic room. Each room's ambience is presented as a critical element of the music and hence the surround environment. The acoustic science involved in this is quite fascinating. Take a minute to read the reviews to get a better informed idea of this - sounds pretty neat overall.
Agreed (my review will be in the March issue). Note that, in addition, there is a series of live in situ performances to compare with the virtual acoustics performances and a 7x9 matrix which allows you to hear a small excerpt in your choice of the 7 instruments in your choice of the 9 venues.

Nice music, too.

I've just looked through my SACDs and have come to realize that while I did buy some in 2009, none of them were released in 2009. Now that Telarc no longer releases new SACDs, there are very few new ones that I want.

Back