List of 3 Channel SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobacci

QQ Supporter
Just recently I have listened systematically to the (few) 3 Channel SACDs I have. Mostly Analogue Productions RCA Living Presence titles, but also Oscar Peterson's 'We get requests' and Dave Brubeck's 'Time Out'.
I am blown away by the sound quality these SACDs provide and the big step made by adding a center speaker.
I am aware that Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue' and 'Spanish Steps' were done in 3 Channels, but only 'Spanish Steps' was issued on SACD. 'Kind of Blue' was remastered from the three track tapes to Dolby Atmos. It has been issued only as streaming on Apple Music but never on physical media. AFAIK, the three channel tapes were never issued on SACD.
I would be very grateful for more information from the experts.
Is there a definitive list somewhere of recordings that were done using three channels and available on SACDs?

I am aware that Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue' and 'Spanish Steps' were done in 3 Channels, but only 'Spanish Steps' was issued on SACD. 'Kind of Blue' was remastered from the three track tapes to Dolby Atmos. It has been issued only as streaming on Apple Music but never on physical media. AFAIK, the three channel tapes were never issued on SACD.
Kind of Blue does have a 3-channel SACD as far as I know...commonly misrepresented as 5.1 with ambience in the rears by people...unless I'm wrong...

Kind of Blue does have a 3-channel SACD as far as I know...commonly misrepresented as 5.1 with ambience in the rears by people...unless I'm wrong...
Unfortunately it seems the KOB MCh SACD is 5.1 and not 3 Channel. See here
At the Sheer Pleasure of Sound Workshop in Basel in 2019 I spoke with Steve Genwick at length about the Dolby Atmos remaster of KOB and he insisted that their team had been the first to be given access to the original 3 channel tapes by the Miles Davis estate. I am hoping Analogue Productions will get access at some point as well.

Just recently I have listened systematically to the (few) 3 Channel SACDs I have. Mostly Analogue Productions RCA Living Presence titles, but also Oscar Peterson's 'We get requests' and Dave Brubeck's 'Time Out'.
I am blown away by the sound quality these SACDs provide and the big step made by adding a center speaker.
Is there a definitive list somewhere of recordings that were done using three channels and available on SACDs?
https://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&start=21 &saleid=448 &CategoryID=395

I bought the Oscar Peterson years ago and love it, but very slim pickings at Acoustic Sounds aside from classical.

I consider the Kind of Blue 5.1 to be three channel for all practical intents & purposes, and appreciate the bass in the center.

1709058059380.png

Attachments

• 1709058022922.png
    1709058022922.png
    670.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I don't know (remember) if there's a list anywhere, however, I've always liked the AP Nat King Cole SACD 3-channel below. Too bad they aren't listed as such in discogs.com or https://www.hraudio.net/ (IINM, only listed as 'Multichannel'.)

https://www.discogs.com/release/5000296-Nat-King-Cole-The-Nat-King-Cole-Story

Thanks, guys. In the meantime I have found out that Chad Kassem is the owner of both Analogue Productions and Acoustic Sounds, so the List of AP SACDs on Acoustic Sounds should be complete.
This seems like a good listing on Discogs for the Living Stereo SACDs (filter for SACD). From the list it seems the vast majority of RCA SACDs were published between 2004 and 2007 and the AP SACDs from 2014 on.

Last edited:
FWIW, I have a few Living Stereo 3 channel SACDs. My Oppo shows them as 5.0 but the rears seem to be silent, so I donā€™t believe they have necessarily been ā€œenhancedā€ when they were transferred to DSD. Iā€™m pretty sure thereā€™s no 3.0 standard for SACD.

FWIW, I have a few Living Stereo 3 channel SACDs. My Oppo shows them as 5.0 but the rears seem to be silent, so I donā€™t believe they have necessarily been ā€œenhancedā€ when they were transferred to DSD. Iā€™m pretty sure thereā€™s no 3.0 standard for SACD.
SACD can only transfer 2.0, 5.0, and 5.1, so anything that isn't traditional stereo will be marked multichannel by the player and most online databases.

There is at least one Rock recording in this category.

The Doors - The Doors

Previously Available on DVDA and also an APP SACD .

Now it does say 5.1 but for all intended purposes the rear channels have minimal ambience .

I have Kind Of Blue 5.1 dualdisc , and it has 3channels L,C,R. but I notice the ambience on this recording.
Same goes for : Glenn Gould 1955 Bach Goldberg Variations , I do notice distinctive ambience.

Last edited:
Miles Davis' SKETCHES OF SPAIN was also an original three chaannel recording but it was never relesed as a 3 channel SACD .....

Supposedly, some Frank Sinatra Capitol albums were also recorded three channel but AFAIK never released in that format...and The Beatles Live At The Hollywood Bowl!

Read Post #2 on the Steve Hoffman Forum:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/sinatras-home-hi-fi-presto-reel-to-reel-etc.28325/
There's a multichannel Sketches of Spain SACD I assume that's the 3-channel mix?

There's a multichannel Sketches of Spain SACD I assume that's the 3-channel mix?
Yes, from Monster Music. They actually had access to Columbia's original three channel masters and derived the center and surrounds from that analogue master! The surround is DTS 5.0 and MM also supplied a Lossless 96/24 Stereo remaster on a DVD disc

Primary

Last edited:
Yes, from Monster Music. They actually had access to Columbia's original three channel masters and derived the center and surrounds from that analogue master! The surround is DTS 5.1 nd MM also supplied a Lossless 96/24 Stereo remaster on a DVD disc

Primary
Ah darn I got it confused with Seven Steps to Heaven...similar-looking covers...excuse the brainfart.

Yes, from Monster Music. They actually had access to Columbia's original three channel masters and derived the center and surrounds from that analogue master! The surround is DTS 5.1 nd MM also supplied a Lossless 96/24 Stereo remaster on a DVD disc

Primary

I have this dvd from Monster , and it's actually a pretty good surround disc in DTS 5.0.
I still hold out some shred of hope that Monster Music will release another good surround album........sometime ?
They really have a talent on how to create surround sound from pre -70's recordings .

I have this dvd from Monster , and it's actually a pretty good surround disc in DTS 5.0.
I still hold out some shred of hope that Monster Music will release another good surround album........sometime ?
They really have a talent on how to create surround sound from pre -70's recordings .
I LOVE and own all their remastered surround discs but unfortunately they haven't released anything in years!

Sketches of Spain was released in 2001 by MM!!!!!!!

I LOVE and own all their remastered surround discs but unfortunately they haven't released anything in years!

Sketches of Spain was released in 2001 by MM!!!!!!!

Sketches Of Spain was released in 2011 , but I definitely understand your point.

It's a sad thing that they have stopped.

Oh , and another 3channel release , which I missed out on , was one by
The Weavers , on APP.

Back