Beatles Rock Band Extractions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently, they're using some kind of multi-billion dollar sound extraction program to separate each part of the recordings.

I've always enjoyed some of the harmonies the Beatles created.

I thought there was access to multi-tracks for the project anyways? This was interesting, thanks for posting.

Relatedly, the current issue of Electronic Musician has an article entitled Unmixing that discusses ADX (Audio Dynamix eXtraction) DSP algorhythm from audionamix.com. No commercial release and this: "In it's current state of development, the software takes days or even weeks to process a 1 hour file, depending on the complexity of the project."

Was used on films, 400 Blows and Wes Craven's Nightmare on Elm Street....

Apparently, they're using some kind of multi-billion dollar sound extraction program to separate each part of the recordings.

I've always enjoyed some of the harmonies the Beatles created.

Only for the early twin-track stuff. It was all 4 and 8 track after that.

I thought there was access to multi-tracks for the project anyways? This was interesting, thanks for posting.

Yep, there was. The songs were remixed from scratch for the game by Paul Hicks and Giles Martin.

The game was not cracked. The guy explains the whole process:

These trax use the Beatcomber sets of "no bass no drums," no bass no guitar," and "no drums no guitar" to isolate some of the instruments in the various Rockband songs. Pretty much done at random in the order I did them. There is some minor phasing and artifacting but most of it is covered up by mixing some of the instruments back in, so what you have is less an "isolation" and more of a "featured instrument" with other instruments in the background. The Abbey Road DLC songs came out the best.

Artwork, such as it is, is also included.

Just to be clear, the game hasn't been cracked and possibly never will be. These aren't moggs or stems or anything like that; they're cce'd and oopsed from Rockband recordings made with instruments missing; in other words, Beatcomber starts the drums but doesn't play anything, only presses the controller every few seconds to keep the song from stopping, and you end up with a stereo track without drums; repeat the process with guitar and bass, then with the combinations of 2, then with all 3

Only for the early twin-track stuff. It was all 4 and 8 track after that.

IIRC 4-track was used through the end of the Let It Be/Get Back sessions.
Only Abbey Road was recorded to 8-track, but not all songs were. The boys raided the EMI Storehouse and liberated the untested 8-track equipment when they found out that EMI had been sitting on it for a few months.

I thought there was some 3 track in there early on but then again I haven't read the big book (Sessions) thoroughly in a long time...

IIRC 4-track was used through the end of the Let It Be/Get Back sessions.
Only Abbey Road was recorded to 8-track, but not all songs were. The boys raided the EMI Storehouse and liberated the untested 8-track equipment when they found out that EMI had been sitting on it for a few months.

(Puts Beatles geek hat on)...

White Album was first appearance of 8 track.

The sessions for The Beatles were notable for the band's formal transition from 4-track to 8-track recording. As work on the album began, Abbey Road Studios possessed, but had yet to install, an 8-track machine that had supposedly been sitting in a storage room for months. This was in accordance with EMI's policy of testing and customising new gear, sometimes for months, before putting it into use in the studios. The Beatles recorded "Hey Jude" and "Dear Prudence" at Trident Studios in central London, which had an 8-track recorder. [11] When they learned about EMI's 8-track recorder, they insisted on using it, and engineers Ken Scott and Dave Harries took the machine (without authorisation from the studio chiefs) into the Number 2 recording studio at Abbey Road for the band's use. [11]

Back