Quad radio broadcast this week!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QUADradial

Since 2002/2003
There will be a "first" this weekend in the world of quad. I have helped put together a radio show using many of my discrete quad tapes that I encoded into the Dolby Pro Logic II matrix. We are doing a "salute to quad" if you will...on AM stereo. That's right AM STEREO! Sure...it is a gimmick...but the show will be made available for download so it can be enjoyed later if you have an mp3 player and a DPLII receiver.
It will air this Friday afternoon (2pm eastern) on 1630 KCJJ in Iowa, during the Robb Spewak show. So get your old C-QUAM radios out and listen to the 1st DPL-II AM stereo show featuring quad music. :D

Then ask yourselves...why not? I did.

Tab Patterson

Sounds very interesting.. Wish i was able to receive that station. I guess i need to do some research, because I thought the AM band was purely mono. I'll guess i'll have to wait for the download.

I am a big fan of CQuam AM stereo. I know it is a fading technology, but a few stations still broadcast in CQuam, the largest being WLS in Chicago, although WLS only uses CQuam at night, and WLS is all talk, but the break music and some of the commercials are in stereo. I have AM stereo receivers in two of my vehicles along with two that are connected to two of my Quad systems.
If any of the forum members are interested, they can find out much information about AM Stereo at this site:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amstereoforum/?yguid=288652798

MTGC (Michael)

Awesome, KCJJ in Iowa City! I'll have to tell my buddy in West Branch about it...

I had an inquiry a few years ago from a record shop owner who knew I was into quad -- a friend of his wanted to do something about quad during his regular radio show. I never did hear how it turned out, but I answered some basic questions for him and then tried to twist his arm and get him to play something in QS, telling folks to turn on ProLogicII. I think he chickened out. Quadradial's plan is much better... great stuff!! Will definitely look into downloading it.

Mark Z

Wow! Good luck, Tab. Sounds like a real interesting project.

Great one, Tab.
Are you going to try & make this a regular thing, by any chance?
(Surround Radio, I mean).
We may be able to help out with some exclusives.......

Cool idea that you got to try out there! Were listeners told to try out the DPLII to experience some semblance of quad? Or was it mostly done "stealth"?

They were told what to do and some of them tried it. The interesting mix was in the mono feed, though. They got to hear a whole different sound! Everyone is encourage to download the show later this afternoon at robbradio.com.

There will be a "first" this weekend in the world of quad. I have helped put together a radio show using many of my discrete quad tapes that I encoded into the Dolby Pro Logic II matrix. We are doing a "salute to quad" if you will...on AM stereo. That's right AM STEREO!
You mean there is still an AM station broadscasting AM Stereo? Now I know what citie's CL I need to visit with a couple of my obsolete AM ST radios!

Thanks so much for sharing this here. Downloaded the episodes a couple hours ago....

I want to point-out that DOLBY PRO LOGIC II has 2 settings Music and Cinema. I usually keep mine on the Music setting because it tends to make music sound better than Cinema.

However, this broadcast has much better separation using the Cinema setting. I'm curious to hear if someone has tested this show using the newer dolby pro logic II (ze??)..

Anyway, i had very good results. Unfortunately, never been much of a fan of dolby products in general. I noticed bleed coming in from the front center channel. Anyone else run into this??

Tab was your mix in 4.1 or 4.0??

Thanks again!

I sampled a little of it, and I was impressed with how good the introduction statements, speaker channel test, and station ID jingles sounded. Good humor, too! (y)

I noticed bleed coming in from the front center channel. Anyone else run into this??

Yeah, I'm getting that too. I just did a quick experiment by listening to it with the volume level for the center channel turned down (as close to off as I could get), but I didn't think the DJ's voice sounded as good. Hmmm.... But I find myself getting used to it. I can't say definitely which sounds better or more right or whatever. I'd have to listen to it more.

Tab,
Do you suggest the center speaker be left on or turned off?

Back