Portable multi-channel soundstudio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bertoa

There are not that many people who publish about multi-channel soundstudio's that can by carried in a backpack. That's exactly what I put together last month's. How I did that? Listen:
First I bought a Dell mini10v netbook and installed the latest Apple OSX operating system. Then I connected my very small 8 channel M-audio Sonica Theater audio interface to the usb port. Also my midi controller keyboard is connected to the usb port. The software programm I use is Plogue Bidule. With 2 AU softsynt's and a 4 channel recorder I make my soundscape's. Editing, moving and positioning the soundsources happens in Soundtrack Pro. As surround player I use VLC, playing ac3 files to my interface and my Zalman surround headphone. I am still constructing battery powered speakers who fit also in the backpack. So, being at home, in the camper or in my log cabin everywhere I can put my inspiration in a multi-channel sound production.

Attachments

• MusicStation..jpg
    MusicStation..jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 187
Hello Bertoa and welcome to QQ! Wow, that's one heck of a set-up. Real interesting. Being an old Apple "Mac" person I did not know one could install the latest Apple OSX on a PC type computer like a Dell. That's good news. Also at QQ we're always needing to find ways for Apple users to add Multi-Channel capabilities for their Apple computers. We get many requests for this sort of info. Thanks.

We just got a couple of the JoeCo BlackBox Recorders.

24 tracks, 24 bit 96K in a 1 U high box that you can hold in one hand.

I remember (not too long ago) when it took 3 of us to lift a Sony digital multitrack.

To quote JoeCo "The BLACKBOX RECORDER's unique technology lets you capture live multi-channel audio without taking a computer or DAW to the performance."

Now that's portable!

Here's my mobile setup for surround recording:
Macbook Pro (from early 2006)
Alesis IO26 (8 channels of phantom power, all powered via FireWire)
DPA 4006s for LR, 4011s for C, Ls, Rs
Batterygeek SPPS-200 battery pack (optional, not in pic)
Sennheiser HD 650 stereo headset (not in pic)

Attachments

• P1030338.jpg
    P1030338.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 130
Back