Beach Boys Surf's Up Album - DY Playback

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

we12x42

I didn't see this one listed,but may have missed it.
I had a Dynaco SCA-80 Stereo amp kit I built around 1971,and a friend had the Dynaco Quadapter.We connected it up to 4 speakers,and played the album Surf's up.
It was fabulous. It really showed a much better presence than just plain stereo.
You can still hear the songs on YouTube. The best ones are Surf's Up and I Feel Flows.
Also Disney Girls.I don't think the 4 ch sound would come out on YouTube.

I think there were two DY surround LPs released on the Brother label. "Surf's Up" and one by another aritst that I can no longer recall. But yes, this is a good one.
The DY encoded reel usually sells for good bucks on eBay too.

The other Brother Lp is "The Flame" .... featuring Ricky Fataar and Blondie Chaplin who would both go onto performing with the Beach Boys on their next 3 releases....

not to mention Ricky Fataar's involvement in Tim Finn's (crowded house/split enz) "Escapade" lp....or The Rutles..

and their are 2 different versions of the Surfs Up.. lp...the UK EMI centennary Lp issue has a different mix of Take a load of your feet,...so far not found anywhere else.

Just want to pop into this old thread to mention that the alternate mix of "Til I Die" on "Endless Harmony" was possibly mixed with Dynaquad in mind. It sound pretty good with QS decoding.

J. D.

It will also decode excellently with the RM switch on the Sony SQD2020, not that I think they planned it that way.

Here's my question to all: Surf's Up was issued worldwide. Assuming the same masters were used (and I know the cover notes were the same), is the Dynaco encoding present all on issues? Or are some just straight stereo and nothing else (which would mean a separate non-Dynaco'd master)?

To the best of my knowledge the original master stereo copies used should all contain DY encoding regardless of country.

As a side note are you aware that there are some SIX or SEVEN other titles mixed in DYNAQUAD mostly by Steven Desper in the BEACH BOYS canon.

Were any of the other DY masters noted in the album credits, or was that only Surf's Up? Was Desper trying to sneak it in there?

The only other disc that even mentions quad that I know of is:

CARL AND THE PASSIONS-SO TOUGH

but THE FLAME....says quadrophonic on the album front cover

the others;

SUNFLOWER (NO)
LOVE YOU (NO)
15 BIG ONES (NO)
KEEPING THE SUMMER ALIVE (?)

and by the group:SPRING-THE SPRING (?)

derek

All of the previously mentioned discs have been confirmed to be DYNAQUAD encoded by Steven Desper.

LOVE YOU (only 2 tracks) and SUNFLOWER (only 2 tracks)

one disc ,KEEPING THE SUMMER ALIVE, was mixed/encoded/recorded in 1980 or 81! Rather a testament to keeping quad alive!

and there still remains a quad encode of DENNIS WILSON-QUADRAPHONIC SYMPHONY (1970) collecting dust in the BEACH BOYS tape vault.

Just want to pop into this old thread to mention that the alternate mix of "Til I Die" on "Endless Harmony" was possibly mixed with Dynaquad in mind. It sound pretty good with QS decoding.

J. D.

So that's where this version is found! So it does sound good decoded, that answers my question I started in another thread. It sounds great in stereo headphones, sounds like there is something extra going on, it sounds more real, more immersive, than most recordings. I need to hook up my old Marantz and check it out. I know I'm replying to an old post, but thanks!

Back