SQ Plus - Improved script available

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxforddickie

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Hi all

This is mainly aimed at the releasers of SQ encoded albums who do so for others to enjoy, but obviously will be of benefit to those who do their own personal decodes.

The reason I'm releasing this modified script is because I have problems listening to others releases that don't have the phase issues corrected, and it can only benefit everyone if they have a release that is as good as is possible.

The script is the same as the one as I've been using lately (since Santana - Lotus) and is a modified version of "Luca's" original which he released a year ago.

The issues dealt with are:

1, Harmonic distortion reduction: If your not too careful with your levels (i.e; over 30% of the music is in the +3 - 0db region) clipping will occur during the process. To help alleviate this, there is a 3db reduction applied before any processing starts.

2, Phase correction: There is an issue where the image location is severely impaired due to a phase issue. This is now corrected.

3, Rear channel phase disturbance: There is an issue where there is a phasing effect on the rear channels, this is now corrected.

I hope everyone takes this script up, allowing improved releases for all. To distinguish it from other scripts, I've called it "SQ Plus"

http://hotfile.com/dl/70817272/a1dc733/SQ_Plus.rar

OD

Thanks for the "upgraded" scripts. When I have time I'll check them out. Had to go through a bunch of hoops in order to download and decompress the "rar" files so I've put both your SQ and QS scripts in a zip folder. Thank you for your work on the scripts.

Attachments

• SQ-QS Plus.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 237
I recently tried an experiment. I downloaded an mp3 of “Open Up Wide” from the “Chase” Album. It sounded like a rip from the CD, but with a slight buzz. I ran it through the Adobe SQ Plus script. The youtube post show the level meters from the encoder at the start at the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3pNosb1Y7A

Very interesting!! I've always meant to try my cd copy through the script, but with so many albums to do...

I'll have a try myself, you never know... :)

Again, thanks

What version of audition are these meant for? I seem to recall that these plug-ins have to be used in the same version of audition as they were created.

I've not been able to get this script to work at all. I've tried the SQ one in audition 1.5, 2, and 3, and each one of them simply gives me a window that says script stopped. Am I missing something?

Nevermind, it's been a while since I've used one of these scripts. I forgot about having to save a file with a specific name in a specific folder that the script refers to. Now back to figuring out which version of adobe to use this in.

Yes, as bob said, it's for V3. If the script stops it probably means you've not saved the files as written at the beginning of the script. You need to alter the line that points to where the files you are decoding i.e: D:SQ temp and the two files needed should be called Front & Rear.

Plus you'll need the VST plugin "Phasebug" installed

Thanks for the "upgraded" scripts. When I have time I'll check them out. Had to go through a bunch of hoops in order to download and decompress the "rar" files so I've put both your SQ and QS scripts in a zip folder. Thank you for your work on the scripts.

Thanks OQG!
As always one of the most helpful members (if not the most!)....
If it's based on Luca's Sept 2009 script, what are the phase problems that were corrected?

Without going too deeply, the phase issue was to do with the phase relationship between Front and Rear sounds. I tried to write it simply for someone recently and made a bit of a mess of it, so lets just say image creation & stability between the Front & Rear is improved with the SQplus script. The improved (and still in Beta) SQ360 scripts improve that by solving seperation and phase issues between Left & Right Center.

Just thought i'd add that QS360 does the same, only better, as the original script, as good as it was, left some serious issues un-touched, ie: terrible seperation.

OD

Hi

Yes, your right, and i've never hid the fact that QSplus is a tweaked version of his original script, but QS360 takes it much, much further. Likewise the SQplus is a tweaked version of your original and again SQ360 takes it just that little bit further.

I certainly hope neither of you think i'm trying to take both of your hard work away from you.

But, the future Matrix H and Ambisonics ones..... well not long to wait...... :)

OD

A good question, and it's my fault. I've wanted to write an guide for each of them for those not fully conversed in getting the maximum quality out of them. I realise there are those who know the proccedure backwards, but i feel you need to always look at the lowest common denominator, those who may be coming to using them for the first time.

They are still beta, spending time on the UHJ procedure (and not a script in sight). I'll try and get around to doing the guides asap, and will post them on my blog.

What i do ask is that they are not posted anywhere else. That way, as and when they are improved i don't have the situation like we have now, scripts all over the place and nobody knowing what's what

OD

Good idea for a guide so more folks will be able to use the scripts. Also, sometimes we forget if it's been awhile since we've used them. I am going to wait and work on other things until they come out. Very much like the scripts you've released so far. Thanks.

The problem I have with this SQ script, is that Rear Center is 180 degrees out of phase in the Rear.wav, which is incorrect.

Forgive me, that probably sounded rude, I apologize.

I have been in Quad since the mid 70s, but just recently found this treasure trove of information on how to decode quad matrix records with Adobe Audition. I really appreciate everyone's hard work... I really do.

That being said, it's very difficult to figure out which of these different scripts is the best one (much less which ones work with which version of Audition.. I'm still more fond of 1.5 than 3, just because of it's layout). Hopefully another sticky topic will be made on what the latest and greatest scripts are. My comment about the above script, was really just a footnote for anyone else stumbling around trying the scripts out.

Thank you again for your work, your patience and for taking the time to post. :)

Back