Classical Music in surround reccomendations

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blrac

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I am searching for upbeat classical music. I am not sure what they are classified as but I believe a cantata or march? I am basically trying to find a full orchestra playing as opposed to just strings or piano. I want the brass and percussion involved. Maybe this is not classical so to speak but I am not positive what exactly to categorize it under. Forgive my ignorance. I am also looking for suggestions on not just the composer and his work, but also the conductor and / or orchestra. I have seen more classical on SACD than other formats, but any type is fine by me if you have a preference. I am going to try to spend as little as possible but want to get the best I can. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated, as usual.

I suggest you listen to a classical station on the radio (via Internet or FM) and find out what types/pieces of classical music you like. Then, we can help by recommending particular recordings. Otherwise, there are too many options and too many biases.

I suggest you listen to a classical station on the radio (via Internet or FM) and find out what types/pieces of classical music you like. Then, we can help by recommending particular recordings. Otherwise, there are too many options and too many biases.

I have been and one compositon is not necessarily indicative of the whole symphony. That being said, I will certainly study more and listen more intently to narrow it down as much as possible. My point was to find if what I am seeking is even categorized, and then for some opinions on things in that category, and what that category is so I can browse correctly. I have listened to lots of classical but most of what I find is strings and piano based, not an entire orchestra. Again, maybe this is called something different and I am labelling it wrong to start. An example I can give is the 1812 Overture, being full orchestration and more upbeat. I do not mind strings and piano, but I prefer what I originally asked about.

couple of recommendations (I LOVE both of these discs)

http://www.amazon.com/Vivaldi-Seasons-Concertos-Double-Orchestra/dp/B00005JJ3R

(The Double Orchestra is the QQ-ers' wet dream here - if you're into surround music and have any interest in Classical at all - with one orchestra in the front, the other in the rear - you'll absolutely love this!).

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/247

(Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, Bernstein conducts, fantastic performances, sound quality is superb, its in surround, its sprightly populist/familiar stuff like the 1812.. 'Nuff said.).

I bought my first classical album (Biggs' Bach Organ vol 4) when I was in high school. For years, I subscribed to the Chicago Symphony. Kal's comments are as good as any advice. It goes without saying to pay attention to what composers you like.

There are thousands of classical SACD's, with multiple artists renditions of many popular pieces. Much of it is not an "aggressive mix," but rather hall ambience in the rear channels. DSP modes can create this, but the rears are usually the actual room reverberations of the performance space.

Once upon a time, you could visit a larger Tower Records store and speak with someone who was knowledgeable about the compositions, as well as best performances of them.

I've bought a few Classical surround discs. The best surround recordings (mix-wise and fidelity-wise) that I have found are produced by Tacet: http://www.tacet.de/main/seite1.php?language=en&filename=welcome.php&layout=willkommmen. They are pricey but because I am not a true fan of Classical music I am only going to buy a few and I want the best surround production I can get.

I agree with wavelength here. TACET is a great place to start with surround classical. WARNING - I am far far far from a classical expert. Kal (posting above) is the expert! :)

I just bought a bit of everything. I ordered Vanska's complete Beethoven symphonies, Ravel on the Tacet label, and Dvorak's 9th symphony, all on SACD in surround. I have spent hours listenng to things I like, and basically there isn't a definitive "category" as I hoped to decsribe what I wanted. An overture is the closest thing, but not all inclusive. Regardless, I found a few things I liked and will keep looking. Thanks for your help. On a related note the type of music I desired was something I created in my head that would be a cool soundtrack for some psychotic killer on a spree slashing through people with lots of gore and sinister expressions, where the music not only captured the intensity of the murder scene but the whimsical insanity of it. I don't expect anyone else to understand this, but it is what I modeled my search upon, if some other demented mind like mine could comprehend that.

"On a related note the type of music I desired was something I created in my head that would be a cool soundtrack for some psychotic killer on a spree slashing through people with lots of gore and sinister expressions, where the music not only captured the intensity of the murder scene but the whimsical insanity of it."

I don't suppose you've got The Carpenters SACD?

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2474

How about this 5.1 SACD:
scary+music.jpg
If that isn't scary enough, come over to my house before I put my makeup on! :yikes

...On a related note the type of music I desired was something I created in my head that would be a cool soundtrack for some psychotic killer on a spree slashing through people with lots of gore and sinister expressions, where the music not only captured the intensity of the murder scene but the whimsical insanity of it. I don't expect anyone else to understand this, but it is what I modeled my search upon, if some other demented mind like mine could comprehend that.

I do not own the Carpenters in any form, yet. I plan on buying the entire Nutcracker, and it has been on my watch list. I am not looking for scary so to speak, but hanting to the degree that you can't believe such a beautiful composition fits a psychopath's rhythmic mutilations so perfectly. Kind of picturing Nicholson dancing and killing, as he play characters to appreciate and connect the music to this dance of death. Anyway, hopefully I have something coming that fits the bill. On a side note, DO NOT plan on this killing spree myself (it is just an image created in my head)...yet.

"Night on Bald/Bare Mountain" comes to mind.

These first two have a weak surround mix:
CCF02022014_00000.jpg

These two are better as far as surround mixes go - my favorite being the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra version:
CCF02022014_00001.jpg

Which comes in DVD-Audio as well:
CCF02022014_00002.jpg
And of course there's Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor" with the added bonus of having a stellar surround mix.

Last edited:
The Tchaicovsky one I listed has some other composers in the series. All the ones I've tried have actively used the surrounds, and are fantastically clear!

Back