Everybody's Gone To The Rapture Soundtrack - PS4 7.1 Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Failed Muso

800 Club - QQ All-Star
I'm not sure how many of you are avid gamers, but I wanted to share with you an exquisite soundtrack, available in 7.1 via the Sony Playstation 4.

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture is a game that was launched about 18 months ago and is quite unique in the gaming world. Described by many as a 'walking simulator', it tells the story of the end of the world. Well, to be more accurate, you have to piece together the events that led to global apocalypse by exploring the quiet, English country village of Yaughton. The village is home to a large observatory that somehow is at the centre of the events that led to "the end". It's really difficult to explain in words what this game is, but I prefer to describe it as an experience rather than a game.

Anyway, aside from being one of the most riveting, enthralling and engaging titles on the PS4 (that has won numerous awards, including BAFTA's), it has the most incredible score, composed by Jessica Curry. It's a blend of English pastoral composition and classic movie scoring that delivers true spine-tingling moments. It's a huge part of the game itself. And so when I saw the soundtrack was available to buy on vinyl, I nabbed myself a copy. But I yearned to be able to listen to it outside of the confines of my home and discovered that it was available on the Sony Playstation store for a mere £3.99! The great thing about buying music like this on the PS Store is that you are able to download it as MP3s to a USB stick and transfer to the digital media player of your choice.

But imagine my delight when I played it back via the PS4 to find that it was a full on 7.1 mix! Naturally, the in-game audio is in multi-channel, but I was blown away to see that the soundtrack was also available as such!

So, if you have a PS4, and you love multi-channel music, this is a real treat!

I've contacted the developers to see if a Blu Ray, multi-channel release is on the cards, but haven't heard anything back. Firing up the PS4 to listen to it is no big chore, but i'd love to be able to have this on Blu Ray. If you enjoy the soundtrack, feel free to hassle the developers!

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...now:null:EP0006-CUSA02387_00-BATTLEFIELD01000

can you access the 7.1 soundtrack without a PS4?

Sadly, no :(

There doesn't appear to be any separate physical or digital release in multi-channel, hence my begging emails to the devs/Sony. It is only available on vinyl, CD and regular digital formats (MP3, FLAC, AIFF, WAV, ALAC), but all stereo only.

No indication of surround on the PS4 store? It's unfortunate, maybe there's other releases in surround?!

And I agree, the game (or the interactive experience, there's no real challenge) is really great!

No indication of surround on the PS4 store? It's unfortunate, maybe there's other releases in surround?!

And I agree, the game (or the interactive experience, there's no real challenge) is really great!

I can confirm that it the soundtrack is indeed in 7.1 48KHz PCM. When these soundtrack albums play on the PS4, they are contained within their own little application that acts as a player and presents a slideshow of screenshots as the music plays. It's a pretty simple interface and one has the option of choosing surround or stereo.

You're right that it doesn't state anything on the PS Store page, which is a shame but not really a surprise so I guess the only way to find out is like I did... by surprise ;)

I'm thinking of buying the soundtrack to 'Journey' too (the game, not the rock band!) so I will report back if that comes as a surround package too. I don't see why it shouldn't as most PS4 games are delivered with 7.1 audio so the soundtracks should already be mixed as such. I'm also going to tweet the composer of EGTTR, Jessica Curry, to see if she can shed any light on a standalone release.

I've attached some screenshots to show the surround options as mentioned above...

IMG_8941.jpg

IMG_8942.jpg

IMG_8943.jpg

Sadly, no :(

There doesn't appear to be any separate physical or digital release in multi-channel, hence my begging emails to the devs/Sony. It is only available on vinyl, CD and regular digital formats (MP3, FLAC, AIFF, WAV, ALAC), but all stereo only.
I am sorry, but I do not fully understand what you are saying. The download from the PS4 store is a stereo only flac, but turns into a 7.1 played back using a PS4?

I am sorry, but I do not fully understand what you are saying. The download from the PS4 store is a stereo only flac, but turns into a 7.1 played back using a PS4?

Ok, so when you buy a soundtrack album on the PS Store, it comes wrapped up in an application that operates a bit like a standalone Blu Ray. You get a front end, player controls, slide show of stills, etc. When played back via this PS4 application, you can choose between a stereo or 7.1 PCM output via the PS4's HDMI. You also have the option of downloading the album as 320kbps MP3's to a USB stick which you can then copy over to your computer to use in the MP3 player of your choice (e.g. iTunes).

The soundtrack album can also be bought as a regular MP3 download, CD or vinyl, as well as hi-res stereo AIFF/WAV/FLAC/ALAC. But no standalone multi-channel that can be played outside of a PS4.

I loved Jessica Curry's work on "Dear Esther". I have yet to play "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture", but I love how beautiful it looks in the screenshots and videos. I can imagine that the music must be truly beautiful!

I loved Jessica Curry's work on "Dear Esther". I have yet to play "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture", but I love how beautiful it looks in the screenshots and videos. I can imagine that the music must be truly beautiful!

I love Dear Esther too! I was so gutted that I couldn't go to the live performance of the show a few weeks back :(

You must play "'Rapture" as soon as you can. It is currently free to PSN members this month, and is also available for Windows PC via Steam. The soundtrack is available on most popular streaming services too, if you fancied whetting your whistle ;)

I love Dear Esther too! I was so gutted that I couldn't go to the live performance of the show a few weeks back :(

You must play "'Rapture" as soon as you can. It is currently free to PSN members this month, and is also available for Windows PC via Steam. The soundtrack is available on most popular streaming services too, if you fancied whetting your whistle ;)

Definitely on my - very very long - list ;-) It looks simply gorgeous, and I love those contemplative "Walking Simulators". Especially with a good friend, we always get into great conversations. Gone Home is another one I adore.

Back