Simon & Garfunklel's "Bookends" - a Columbia SQ release that never made it!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Check out Jim Reeves website. He lists his "resume" of the past 40 years. He actually remixed many of the great Columbia SQ LPs, like Sly & the Family Stone's greatest hits, Jeff Beck Rough & Ready, Bloomfield, Kooper and Stills, and among his quad remix credits....

BOOKENDS - Simon & Garfunkel!!!

How about that? :smokin:mad:@:

http://www.reevesaudio.com/references.html

PAUL REVERE & THE RAIDERS - Quadraphonic - Produced and Mixed by Jim Reeves
LAURA NERO "BEADS OF SWEAT" - Quadraphonic - Produced and Mixed by Jim Reeves
SIMON & GARFUNKLE - "BOOKENDS" - Quadraphonic - Produced and Mixed by Jim Reeves
BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS - Quadraphonic - Produced and Mixed by Jim Reeves
EDGAR WINTER "WHITE TRASH" with Jerry LaCroix - Quadraphonic - Produced and Mixed by Jim Reeves
JEFF BECK "ROUGH & READY"- Quadraphonic - Produced and Mixed by Jim Reeves
AL KOOPER, MIKE BLOOMFIELD, STEVE STILLS "SUPER SESSION" - Quadraphonic - Produced and Mixed by Jim Reeves
SLY & THE FAMILY STONE "GREATEST HITS" - Quadraphonic - Produced and Mixed by Jim Reeves

"Mrs. Robinson" in Quad, cool. (y) I wonder what that sounded like or if the recording still exists?

SIMON & GARFUNKLE - "BOOKENDS"
1. Bookends Theme
2. Save The Life Of My Child
3. America
4. Overs
5. Voices Of Old People
6. Old Friends
7. Bookends Theme
8. Fakin' It
9. Punky's Dilemma
10. Mrs. Robinson
11. A Hazy Shade Of Winter
12. At The Zoo
13. You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies
14. Old Friends

Listen to a sample of the Stereo version at Amazon US here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B00005NKKY/ref=pd_krex_dp_a

Sure he's not just mis-remembering and meant to say Bridge over troubled Water? He lists himself as the Remix engineer on Indian Reservation but Larry Keyes is credited on the album jacket.

BOOKENDS, however, would have been a logical followup to BOTW...very logical, indeed. The mono mix of the album--uncommon, but not rare--suggests it could have been very enjoyable, indeed, since there are many differences relative to the more common stereo edition(best sound, IMO: MFSL CD edition). And yes, the multis exist for this one, so a 5.1 remix could be done.

That said, "You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies" was a B-side left off BOOKENDS, and did not appear in stereo until the OLD FRIENDS box set; don't remember, until then, seeing it on any album anywhere.

ED :)

So is the Simon & Garfunklel's "Bookends" - a Columbia SQ release that never made it OR NOT ????

I guess I missed this thread when it first appeared. I emailed Jim Reeves quite a few years back when I ran into his site by chance (this was even before I became a member here) . He confirmed that he mixed "Bookends", but that CBS confiscated the masters before he could make himself a copy of it.

With respect to the Paul Revere quad, he doesn't claim to have mixed "Indian Reservation". He said CBS asked him to mix something for an upcoming convention for the "new sound" market, which happened to be quad at the time. He chose the Raiders Greatest Hits to mix. According to Jim, his mix "won the quad wars at the convention", but was never released.

Necroposting, but: Interesting to think that what were once "lost" Quad albums have recently surfaced?? White Trash and Laura Nyro's 13th Confession. :)

"Mrs. Robinson" in Quad, cool. (y) I wonder what that sounded like or if the recording still exists?

SIMON & GARFUNKLE - "BOOKENDS"
1. Bookends Theme
2. Save The Life Of My Child
3. America
4. Overs
5. Voices Of Old People
6. Old Friends
7. Bookends Theme
8. Fakin' It
9. Punky's Dilemma
10. Mrs. Robinson
11. A Hazy Shade Of Winter
12. At The Zoo
13. You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies
14. Old Friends

Listen to a sample of the Stereo version at Amazon US here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B00005NKKY/ref=pd_krex_dp_a

Jim:

I agree "Mrs. Robinson" could be an enjoyable mix as would "At the Zoo".

Justin

We'll never get the dedicated mono mix any better than the old Columbia Lp, let alone a quad/5.1 of BOOKENDS. Too bad, it really woulda been fun to hear, don'cha think?

ED :)

Back