Interesting fact about denon 2910

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy77

I have just discovered that the 2910 will play back an mlp. file just like it would an .mp3 or .wma. I have tested on a cd in stereo and on a dvd in multichannel I would suspect that multi channel would not work on cd because of data rate i did not bother to test bacause you could only fit two or three track in hi rez multi channel any way. The tracks I tested were tracks that I backed up from non watermarked discs the backups from water marked discs of cource stopped after thirty seconds due to the water marks.anyway just thought it was interesting although not of much consequnce.

Very interesting.
How did you write the disc, please? I ask as I have the MLP encoders, and would like to know how the disc was created - is it a straight data disc like an MP3 one, where the disc written is a DVD-ROM, with just the MLP file dropped into it?

This is seriously interesting news.

Hey Neil

The disc was burned with nero as standard ISO just like an mp3 disc, I dropped the mlp file write on the disc and burned.
upon further testing I found out that the 2910 also plays .ac3 and .dts I have not tested dts wav or ac3 wav. I wonder if it would play dsd files but I have no way of getting a sample to try. If any one has a sample try it and let me know.

Andy.

This really is interesting!
With the .dts and .ac3, I need to ask another couple of questions.
1 - Is the Denon set to decode the DTS and AC3 streams internally, or is it passing the stream out directly to an amp/decoder?
2 - is the DTS file a genuine DTS file, or a DTS-WAV file instead?

Neil.
I'm glad to here this has exited somebody other than me.
the answer to your questions.

1.The denon is set to decode internally.It will also pass the signal digitally to my receiver.
2.the dts files are genuine dts files I have not tried the dts-wav but I will give it a shot and let you know.

One other discovery was made as I was attempting to trick the player into not looking for the watermark.(as a side note I have no intention of pirating DVD-a I only want to make a mix disc as not to have to change disc's all the time.I know its a touchy situation, Besides I am the only one in my immediate circle who even knows what DVD-a or sacd is so i couldn't make copys without buying first anyway)I took an .mlp file and changed the ext. to mp3.,wma,dts, and dts ,the file played as mlp in every instance although the player still recognized the water mark.

I must ask what about this whole thing excites you as the only thing I would be able to do is to write mlp with out having to author a True DVD-a. if you have any other Ideas please fill me in .

Andy77 said:
I must ask what about this whole thing excites you as the only thing I would be able to do is to write mlp with out having to author a True DVD-a. if you have any other Ideas please fill me in .

Think You just answered that by yourself... (At least for me..)

What is getting me thinking here - especially if the .dts and .ac3 files play through from a data disc, is that it will make the whole process much simpler for hobby users, as if it's just the music they want, it will no longer be necessary to do a full DVD-V authoring job, making it all as simple as a DTS-CD - drag files into a data project, burn - off it goes.
QC discs are suddenly simple to do, without having to buy into expensive software.

As far as watermarking goes - you'll never defeat it, so don't waste time. It's not worth the effort.
But it suddenly looks a lot simpler to burn to straight discs.
Track points are not going to happen - although it may be worth looking at individual tracks, and seeing what happens there.
Additionally - I wonder if it works across all DVD-A players, not just the Denon. If it does, car DVDA just got a lot easier - no need for visuals in a car.

Appreciate the tip, and I am going to take a good look at this as soon as the workload drops off a little.

Well, I just tried this here with a DVD-RW disc (didn't want to waste media) and it would not do anything at all.
Just sat there with "LOADING" in the display.
(Long 3.8Gb MLP Lossless file)

Created data disc, UDF/ISO type.
Just didn't work at all.

Neil.
I am sorry to hear that it did not work.three factors immediately come to mind,

1.I did not test with DVD-RW or +RW for that mater,Perhaps its not compatible(I doubt this is the case but it is a variable)

2.Maybe the player has a limitation for the size of file it is able to play.We must remember that this part of the player is designed to play compressed audio and browse pictures, its probably a mistake that it plays MLP DTS and AC3 in this manner at all.

3. It maybe that you have a different firmware than I do. my firmware is as follows.

Ess 6720d
makeday 902
drv 030825
system 6768-2
dsp6770

I can pull up this information on the player if you are not familiar with how to do this here are the instructions

Remove any disc's you have in the player and turn off the master power button(the small one )

Hold the play and open/close buttons on the front panel and turn on the master power.

Once LOADING appears on the front panel you should see Play and Pause icons, release the buttons.

Then on the remote press Menu, 3, 2, 6, 5, Menu.

You should see ESS and a number. the digit after the hyphen is the version.

Just turn off the player to get out.

I think that covers the variables.if you check your firmware so we can cross that off the list I will see if I can get the player to choke on a larger file. I doubt the DVD-RW thing is the problem but i will see if i have one to test the theory anyhow will report back when i have something to report.

One other thing the disc must be finalized the player will go nuts trying to read an unfinalized disc.

Neil.

I think I know why it didnt work iso standards dont allow files larger than 2gigs. burn with udf type only. I tried with a 3.5 gig file on dvd-rw wriiten in in the udf standard and it worked.
Let me know if you get the same results.

Odd.
The disc I tried was ISO/UDF hybrid.
Definitely didn't work at all - the 2910 just sat there saying "Loading" and nothing more.
I will check the idiot setting (leave session open for multisession) as it is possible this is ticked. I'm certainly stupid enough to forget that check.

Will try again thisafternoon in pure UDF, with that box triple checked.

Andy.

That set of instructions does not seem to work here at all.
All I get is the default blue screen, and the tray opens up.
No icons, no nothing.

I am going to call Denon UK - I wonder if it is because your player is the US firmware, and mine is the UK model?

Last edited:
Neil.

I thought you might have trouble with the firmware thing.Lets see if I can make it a Little easier .

Turn the player on and take out any disc that might be in the player.

Now close the tray and turn off the player with the small power button the one with out the light.

Hold in the play button and the open/close button at the same time.
While still holding the button turn on the player with the small power button.
wait for the blue screen (you should see the pause and play icon on the LCD screen light up. with the remote press 3 2 6 5 followed by the menu button. now on the LCD screen you should get your ess number. It took me a while to get it right but I eventually got it.

I guess the udf thing did not work. What an odd thing. You must think I am crazy but it worked for me. What are you using to burn the disc's. I used Nero to burn the disc Have you tried straight .mp3 files to see if at least that was working. I used Nero to burn the disc. Perhaps you could try a smaller .mlp file to see if it works in hybrid mode or just try straight ISO.

Maybe we could get some other 2910 owners to try this to see if they can get it to work.

well anyhow I hope you get it to work. I hope dennon has an answer for you keep me posted as to what they say.

Andy.

The method of checking the firmware is not working here.
All I get is the blue screen, and the tray opens.
Followed instructions as written, and I assure you it is not working here.

MP3 files will play from CD, not ever wasted a DVD on MP3 files though.
I always burn with GEAR Pro Mastering. IDO/UDF Hybrid type, ISO or straight UDF are also options. For this one, I tried straight UDF I believe - although it might have been UDF/ISO. I will try again to an RW in UDF only, just to be sure.
It could be the RW thing though.
Or it could be the european model is slightly different?

I will be calling Denon UK today anyway, as I have another thing to talk too them about.

neil wilkes said:
I will be calling Denon UK today anyway, as I have another thing to talk too them about.

What would that be Neil? Remember careless talk costs lives....(!)

Patrick Cleasby said:
What would that be Neil? Remember careless talk costs lives....(!)

I don't know why I didn't ask you first, actually Patrick.
I need to know if there are any reported issues with playing back DVD+R DL discs, and specifically through the layer break. I am having a lot of trouble in this area, and want to know
A - are there any known issues, and
B - why I cannot find out what my firmware revision is.

The layer break one is well weird.
It triggers too early, yet picks up layer 1 at the exact right place.
Funny part is that if I play the final chapter in layer 0 all the way through off the chapter menu, it plays through correctly - so the info is definitely written to the disc. It is just in the "Play Alll" it triggers 48 seconds too soon.
LB setting is definitely correct, so either
1 - the burner wrote it wrong
2 - the media is fatally flawed
3 - the denon cannot correctly read the disc.

I figure Denon may know - and they told me that these DL discs arre more trouble than they are worth and this is most likely the case.

Hi there!

Does any of you have a Denon A11, 2910 or 3910 player and can confirm that this DVD-Audio actually works on these machines.
I had the DualDisc version and on my 3910 the Advanced Resolution mulitchannel mix did not have any picture along and had sound dropouts about every 40 seconds before freezing the player completely in the middle of track 2 :(

My friend has the same problems with his copy on his A11, and it was suggested somewhere else that this might be due to a copy protection scheme, where something with the directory structure on the disc is not according to the standard (n)

I sent my copy back, and before I get the DVD-Audio version - in the hopes that this was released before the DVD-Audio pirating paranoia started in the industry - it would be great to hear from someone with a Denon if this disc works.

Best regards,
Oliver

Hi Neil,

neil wilkes said:
@ Oliver (El Guapo)
This is playing perfectly on both my 2910 and my 3910. No trouble whatsoever. I have the DVD-A version, not the DualDisc though.

Thanks! But I forgot to update this: I have since gotten the DVD-Audio version and my Denon 3910 also have no problems with it... or so I thought!
At least the trouble I had with the DualDisc is gone (and since this happened with two different copies of the DualDisc on both my 3910 and my friends A11, I guess this is really some copy protection theme (playback protection scheme seems more like it! :eek: ) on the DualDisc.

But I seemed to run into a different effect: I treated myself to a new 4306 last weekend, and set up the Denon Link connection. And I experienced some dropouts in the sound when playing the hires multichannel track. I have to check again, now that I better understood the setup (I think it's easier to fly a helicopter than to properly set up this thing; I need to get a degree in 4306 operation ;) ). Maybe I just had some dirt on the disc? At least I didn't experience anything like this with all the other discs I played since, and I have run everything over Denon Link.

Are you using Denon Link by any chance? Any problems with it?

Best regards,
Oliver

El Guapo said:
Hi Neil,

Thanks! But I forgot to update this: I have since gotten the DVD-Audio version and my Denon 3910 also have no problems with it... or so I thought!
At least the trouble I had with the DualDisc is gone (and since this happened with two different copies of the DualDisc on both my 3910 and my friends A11, I guess this is really some copy protection theme (playback protection scheme seems more like it! :eek: ) on the DualDisc.

But I seemed to run into a different effect: I treated myself to a new 4306 last weekend, and set up the Denon Link connection. And I experienced some dropouts in the sound when playing the hires multichannel track. I have to check again, now that I better understood the setup (I think it's easier to fly a helicopter than to properly set up this thing; I need to get a degree in 4306 operation ;) ). Maybe I just had some dirt on the disc? At least I didn't experience anything like this with all the other discs I played since, and I have run everything over Denon Link.

Are you using Denon Link by any chance? Any problems with it?

Best regards,
Oliver

Have a look at this link to some earlier info on upgrades to the Denon Link:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5472&highlight=denon+link

The link through to the US upgrade site is now:

http://usa.denon.com/ProductUpdatesUpgrades.asp

I'm not sure if us Europeans need or can get the same upgrade as Denon UK don't seem to have a download facility and they haven't answered any of the e-mails that I've sent to them about this. Very frustrating!

Hi Matt,

mattB2 said:
Have a look at this link to some earlier info on upgrades to the Denon Link:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5472&highlight=denon+link
Thanks! But both my devices are already equipped with Denon Link 3 (otherwise I would not be able to play SACD DSDs through DL).
My 3910 already had DL3 when I bought it last October, and I have upgraded it to the E-Firmware since (Multiregion of course :D ).

I will check the disc again when I find the time; I still hope this was just some dust...

Best regards,
Oliver

Back