A modern A/V receiver as an alternative to buying a vintage quad receiver: Denon AVR-3802

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vjdave

I wanted to share a positive experience I had with purchasing a modern A/V receiver as an alternative to buying a vintage quad receiver.

For those who are wondering why I would consider a modern A/V receiver over a vintage quad receiver, the reasons are initial cost and repair/maintenance and probably better sound quality with newer technology in general.

I found a Denon AVR-3802 at a local flea market.

This had ANALOG multi-channel inputs and ANALOG multi-channel pre-outs as well. Also, when selecting the multi-channel input mode, the receiver will let you control the volume AND still let you use the bass and treble controls. The pre-outs can be set to be variable or fixed output too. All "surround sound" modes are automatically-disabled when in multi-channel analog mode which is fine by me. I want pure/discrete quad.

Keep in mind this solution is only good for DISCRETE QUAD sources that do not require any decoding. Examples: Quad reel-to-reel or Quad 8-track. (Even though you could certainly add external decoders such as CD-4 or SQ if you wish).

I paid $60 for this receiver that is being used ONLY for my QUAD sources. I am very happy with the sound quality of my quad reel-to-reel tapes through it.

I feel this saved me a LOT of time/effort/money for this quad solution. I also used a dual-amp speaker selector switch so I could use my current home theater speakers that are connected to my other home-theater receiver so I didn't have to buy more speakers for this solution.
20231115_083506.jpg
20231115_083543.jpg
20231115_083605.jpg

Attachments

• avr-3802-owners-manual-global.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I wanted to share a positive experience I had with purchasing a modern A/V receiver as an alternative to buying a vintage quad receiver.

For those who are wondering why I would consider a modern A/V receiver over a vintage quad receiver, the reasons are initial cost and repair/maintenance and probably better sound quality with newer technology in general.

This had ANALOG multi-channel inputs and ANALOG multi-channel pre-outs as well. Also, when selecting the multi-channel input mode, the receiver will let you control the volume AND still let you use the bass and treble controls. The pre-outs can be set to be variable or fixed output too. All "surround sound" modes are automatically-disabled when in multi-channel analog mode which is fine by me. I want pure/discrete quad.

Keep in mind this solution is only good for DISCRETE QUAD sources that do not require any decoding. Examples: Quad reel-to-reel or Quad 8-track. (Even though you could certainly add external decoders such as CD-4 or SQ if you wish).

I paid $60 for this receiver that is being used ONLY for my QUAD sources. I am very happy with the sound quality of my quad reel-to-reel tapes through it.

I feel this saved me a LOT of time/effort/money for this quad solution. I also used a dual-amp speaker selector switch so I could use my current home theater speakers that are connected to my other home-theater receiver so I didn't have to buy more speakers for this solution.View attachment 98300View attachment 98301View attachment 98302

Congrats! At $60 what a deal! And it looks brand new. I think this model came out over 20 years ago so it to is borderline "vintage".

I spy an HTPC or music server underneath the Denon. Tell us about that.

I've had a 2802 (not sure what the difference is) for over 20 years. It started as the main living room unit, then moved to the bedroom, then sat for a while and ultimately has been on 24/7 connected to my computer for many years. Has never given me the tiniest bit of trouble. In fact, I think it's probably safe to say that it's the most trouble-free bit of electronics I've ever owned, certainly in recent decades.

I'd say that's a perfectly good solution as long as you don't need SQ or QS decoding. Definitely a money saver. I do keep my old quad receivers around though just because I think they're cool, not that they're the best solution to the problem. I have thought, however, about using outboard amps on my 4270 to make One Quad to Rule Them All and in fact have two big Adcoms on the project pile... I'm sure my housemates and neighbors would love that :)

I've had a 2802 (not sure what the difference is) for over 20 years. It started as the main living room unit, then moved to the bedroom, then sat for a while and ultimately has been on 24/7 connected to my computer for many years. Has never given me the tiniest bit of trouble. In fact, I think it's probably safe to say that it's the most trouble-free bit of electronics I've ever owned, certainly in recent decades.

Pretty sure that if this follows the same conventions as a few years later that both of your units were 2002 "model years" and the 3802 is a higher end, more featured model than a 2802. I've had a 3310ci (2010 "model year") and fixed up a used 2313 for a friend's dad. I think Marantz did something similar, as I also had a SR5008 which I believe was in fact released around 2008. Somehow my ex ended up with both the 3310 and 5008 though although I'll say that I still win because I have a QRX7001 and a 4270 :)

Congrats! At $60 what a deal! And it looks brand new. I think this model came out over 20 years ago so it to is borderline "vintage".

I spy an HTPC or music server underneath the Denon. Tell us about that.
You spy correctly. It is a HTPC I built. It serves multiple purposes in my home theater room. Using a 4 channel sound interface (Behernger UMC404HD) I can record stereo or quad source material to digital. I currently record analog material to 24bit/192kHz uncompressed, but I would like to get the Korg DS-DAC-10R so I can record analog to DSD format in the future. I do have an external DSD DAC (Topping E30II Lite) for DSD audio playback off the HTPC.

20231115_165744.jpg
20231115_165733.jpg
20231115_165927.jpg

I feel this saved me a LOT of time/effort/money for this quad solution. I also used a dual-amp speaker selector switch so I could use my current home theater speakers that are connected to my other home-theater receiver so I didn't have to buy more speakers for this solution.View attachment 98300View attachment 98301View attachment 98302
I use a Denon AVR-3300 for my quad system. It does an excellent job, as your 3802 does. The main difference between them is the 3802 has Pro Logic II, while the 3300 only has the original Pro Logic. No matter; I have a Surround Master to handle matrixed quad, and a switchbox allows me to include a CD-4 demodulator, and a DVD-A/SACD player. The only thing you lose, with either receiver, is use of the bass and treble controls, when the 6 channel external input is selected. I bought my 3300 new, in 2000, and it still sounds as good today as it did then.

If you're interested in older gear that handles multichannel analog well, take a look at the Rotel 1068. It was the only processor I had with the ability to do bass management entirely in the analog domain for multichannel. It was a 100Hz crossover iirc. So, if you want bass management without additional AD - DA conversions in there, might be interesting to you.

I use a Denon AVR-3300 for my quad system. It does an excellent job, as your 3802 does. The main difference between them is the 3802 has Pro Logic II, while the 3300 only has the original Pro Logic. No matter; I have a Surround Master to handle matrixed quad, and a switchbox allows me to include a CD-4 demodulator, and a DVD-A/SACD player. The only thing you lose, with either receiver, is use of the bass and treble controls, when the 6 channel external input is selected. I bought my 3300 new, in 2000, and it still sounds as good today as it did then.
I confirmed that my bass and treble controls on my AVR-3802 do actually work when using the 6 channel external analog input. That was one thing I really liked about it. It just disables the surround modes/processing...but bass and treble tone controls still work.

I have very recently replaced my AVR-2801 with an AVR-X2800H. It can do the same as your 3802, as it also has the analogue ins and pre-outs.
Still have it, but do not have any of these old Quad players. After having had it for a mighty long time I somehow cannot part with it…
Has ondeed always worked flawlessly.
IMG_5736.jpeg
IMG_5737.jpeg

Pretty sure that if this follows the same conventions as a few years later that both of your units were 2002 "model years" and the 3802 is a higher end, more featured model than a 2802.
2002 sounds about right for sure. So it's been going for 21 years now, which I can't say about any other receiver I've ever owned.
I think Marantz did something similar, as I also had a SR5008 which I believe was in fact released around 2008. Somehow my ex ended up with both the 3310 and 5008 though although I'll say that I still win because I have a QRX7001 and a 4270 :)
I've got an SR5008 gathering dust right now. Bought it used when my Onkyo HDMI board (of course!) died and couldn't be replaced, but within a few months the Marantz gave out and I wound up getting a new NAD. I definitely plan to get the Marantz serviced and hang onto it as a backup, but I'm pretty happy with the NAD, which does have multichannel in.

If you're interested in older gear that handles multichannel analog well, take a look at the Rotel 1068. It was the only processor I had with the ability to do bass management entirely in the analog domain for multichannel. It was a 100Hz crossover iirc. So, if you want bass management without additional AD - DA conversions in there, might be interesting to you.
What about the bass and treble controls? Do they still work with the multichannel inputs?

What about the bass and treble controls? Do they still work with the multichannel inputs?

Alas it's been so long since I owned it, I don't recall. I just remember it was one of the few pieces of gear that didn't convert things into the digital domain to do a multichannel bass roll off to the sub. And I know some people are concerned with conversion artifacts. I remember really liking it at the time. I think I had it paired with a Denon 1920. You can probably find something in the manual for the Rotel. Sorry I don't have a quick answer.

Tangent: the Rotel RMB 1075 I bought with it is still doing Atmos duty.

That is a very useful feature. For many years I used an Outlaw ICBM in my system to accomplish the same thing. I hated having to digitize my LPs just to get that bit of sub output. Analog bass management should have caught on more than it did.

This is exactly why I had to pick up this one at the flea market. I can't justify the price tag for multi channel analog inputs and outputs on the VERY few AVRs available today that have them.
This is why I found this forum. $50 analog multichannel 5.1 receivers at the flea market. Found 'em 12 years ago and still finding 'em. Stopped buying them after a couple because the first one (a Sherwood of all things!) is still working.

My Maranz pre/pro has a single set of MCH analog audio inputs, which is currently connected to my Oppo 105. I’m slowly bringing my “legacy” gear back to working order, so I expect I will be facing some challenges getting a couple of quad decoders hooked in.

I see the 3802 also has a single set of MCH audio inputs (at least I think that’s what I saw in the manual), so I suspect @vjdave will have a similar concern.

My Maranz pre/pro has a single set of MCH analog audio inputs, which is currently connected to my Oppo 105. I’m slowly bringing my “legacy” gear back to working order, so I expect I will be facing some challenges getting a couple of quad decoders hooked in.

I see the 3802 also has a single set of MCH audio inputs (at least I think that’s what I saw in the manual), so I suspect @vjdave will have a similar concern.
My Anthem pre/pro also has only one set of MCH analog inputs. I have 4 MCH sources. The solution is a Zektor. Many posts about it here.

This is why I found this forum. $50 analog multichannel 5.1 receivers at the flea market. Found 'em 12 years ago and still finding 'em. Stopped buying them after a couple because the first one (a Sherwood of all things!) is still working.
Don't underestimate those Sherwood receivers. I used to sell them; they were cheap, but they worked very well.

Back