Quad equipment quest

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hz79hc

I’m new here and on a quad audio equipment quest. I need means to handle my quad tape decks. I’ve been unable to buy a quad receiver (or the more IDEAL SOLUTION quad preamp—they seem even more rare). THANK YOU for any help—more info follows…

Two-channel solutions exist for stereo equipment lacking tape monitor connectivity in the form of -external- tape monitor/selector solutions (such as: dbx 200 Program Route Selector) but I’ve never seen any external quad equivalents

My current quad setup has been a great playback solution and also avoids HDMI by using disc player that decodes quad & up to 5.1 to analog outputs connected into my all-analog preamp: Sony TA-P9000ES preamp designed before HDMI
( I have an AVR but prefer staying away from it and HDMI for most multi-channel audio. I love the Sony & love my separate power amps)

That Sony-controlled setup doesn’t provide for tape decks (in/out loop x 2 or more) so recording mix tapes etc requires moving wires around—with no good way to listen during recording since I have to disconnect interconnects from the Sony to my power amps and connect those wires to the quad deck inputs!

Help please! Thanks very much
Warren

The Russound QT-1 is the solution for adding multiple quad tape decks and other equipment to a Quad receiver or any all analogue system. They are now rather hard (not impossible) to find. Myself and others here have them in our systems. Search through the threads here their a fair bit of information about them, many are my posts.

You can find the manual on Hifi Engine. The main drawback is that they are not very intuitive to use. Every time I haven't used mine In awhile I scratch my head a bit at first, before figuring it out!

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/russound/qt-1.shtml

I'd recommend staying away from the Russound. Spent a bunch of money on one, only to receive a completely non-functional piece of crap that is impossible to repair. Absolutely no signal flowing through anything, and it's not a case of operator error or not knowing how to use it, it's a case of it being built with such crappy components signal cannot get through anything anymore. I'll never be able to do anything with it, and it just sits on a pile of stuff in my basement that someone will eventually throw out, and I'm out the cash I spent on it.

Absolute garbage.

I'd recommend staying away from the Russound. Spent a bunch of money on one, only to receive a completely non-functional piece of crap that is impossible to repair. Absolutely no signal flowing through anything, and it's not a case of operator error or not knowing how to use it, it's a case of it being built with such crappy components signal cannot get through anything anymore. I'll never be able to do anything with it, and it just sits on a pile of stuff in my basement that someone will eventually throw out, and I'm out the cash I spent on it.

Absolute garbage.
I've had no trouble with mine. You do need the correct cables, some plugs don't fit right (too loose). Not impossible to repair either they contain nothing but input and output jacks along with a few slide switches. You might need to DeOx them, or just give them a quick spray with an electrical contact cleaner.

I don't know who you paid to do what with yours but sorry it sounds like you got ripped off!

If you are into DIY you could build something similar using better components, likely not a feasible option for the average guy.

Absolute garbage.

It's a passive unit, so I have no idea what someone might have done to destroy your QT 1 , but maybe it was under water ?
I had one and it worked great , and it was used. I bought it from an audio store that was using it for multiple stereo systems , and no longer in use.

Also I think Russound made a new unit for modern AV systems , but for the life of me I can't remember it's unit number.

But now it would seem the way to go is the Zektor route .

Back