Music subwoofers with quad system

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmorit01

QQ Supporter
I purchased my quad system from the orginal owner -- Sansui QRX-7500 with two sets of speakers - a pair of Sansui SP-2500 and a pair of the omni-directional SP-SF-2 Sansui speakers. QRX has been gone through by my technician. Along the way as I have picked up vintage items I have acquired two Miller & Kreisel MX70B subwoofers. They are push/pull with two 8" woofers and are very musical. They have high level inputs and I have used them with the 2500s in a stereo to get a bit deeper base.

I also have an OPPO BD-103D as a universal player for SACD and blu-ray Quadio (plus bluray movies) which I connect to the 4 channel aux and I place the receiver in discrete channel mode. My turntable is stereo only.

My question is that I would like to add the the subwoofers into the quad setup -- Note these are not LFE subwoofers and I would not use the sub out on the OPPO for them they are high level inputs -- I can put one subwoofer in the front splitting the L/R and I could do the same for the rear.

Alternatively, I could run the subwoofers on the front speakers (one connected to the right and the other to the left). One day I will find another matching set of SP-2500s.

Thanks for input and let me know if I am overthinking this - as I was just going to try each configuration to see what sounds good. Thanks for any input - Bob

I would put them on the front, or try them that way first. Much quad and nearly all modern 5.1 releases put the base in the front anyway.

Some, mostly discrete quads can have appreciable bass in the rear as well. So you might want to experiment with one in front and the other in the rear.

I don't use a sub myself but rather just four large full range homebuilt towers that put out as much bass as any sub would.

I would put them on the front, or try them that way first. Much quad and nearly all modern 5.1 releases put the base in the front anyway.

Some, mostly discrete quads can have appreciable bass in the rear as well. So you might want to experiment with one in front and the other in the rear.

I don't use a sub myself but rather just four large full range homebuilt towers that put out as much bass as any sub would.
What are your towers, I find that highly doubtful, but you can work wonder with some DIY builds.

I have a small system in my room and 4 pioneer wall speakers that put out minimum bass and 1 bose passive sub.
The sub left goes to left front and the right goes to right back. This covers most quads where
bass is in front and rear, but also covers mixes that have bass in the rear,such as Doobie Brothers

I am putting together a new quad setup with powered speakers and am on the fence with how many subs I should get. I have 2 subs now (1 for each pair of fronts and rears, need 1 more for a 5.1. I have 4 matching full range speakers ( 5 actually, one more for a 5.1 center channel) that have outputs that work with a same brand sub. The sub has 2 inputs so you can put one sub with 2 speakers or one sub for each full range speaker. I haven't set it up yet to test but can't help thinking one sub with each main speaker would be really cool for Quad, but expensive. Especially if I extend that out to the 5.x and eventually Atmos. I would need to buy 3 more subs instead of just one more for 5.1.

Last edited:
I thought that I had posted pictures in the "Show Us Your Gear" thread but I only see my "wall of tubes" amplifier. I'll get around to posting pictures soon.

The cabinets are about four feet tall, 18" deep containing two 12" Philips branded woofers. They also contain four Philips dome midrange and four tweeters. I built them around 1978 or 1979. I doubt that many commercially offered speakers/sub will give more/better bass.

For the living room I wanted something to take up less space so my cabinets there are still four feet tall but only 14" deep and wide. They contain a 10" MAX Pentivent woofer in a "transmission line" enclosure. I use a single Morel dome mid and tweeter. Those speakers are not "boomy" at all but do reproduce very low bass if present.

I bi-amp as well, that is the best way to go to ensure deep clean bass with an undistorted top end.

So you see I feel that I have the bass fully covered, no need for a separate sub. If I was to build one I would want something truly massive. There are many interesting DIY ideas out there.

Edit: Here is the link to my basement speakers.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/show-us-your-gear.6450/page-33

Last edited:
I purchased my quad system from the orginal owner -- Sansui QRX-7500 with two sets of speakers - a pair of Sansui SP-2500 and a pair of the omni-directional SP-SF-2 Sansui speakers. QRX has been gone through by my technician. Along the way as I have picked up vintage items I have acquired two Miller & Kreisel MX70B subwoofers. They are push/pull with two 8" woofers and are very musical. They have high level inputs and I have used them with the 2500s in a stereo to get a bit deeper base.

I also have an OPPO BD-103D as a universal player for SACD and blu-ray Quadio (plus bluray movies) which I connect to the 4 channel aux and I place the receiver in discrete channel mode. My turntable is stereo only.

My question is that I would like to add the the subwoofers into the quad setup -- Note these are not LFE subwoofers and I would not use the sub out on the OPPO for them they are high level inputs -- I can put one subwoofer in the front splitting the L/R and I could do the same for the rear.

Alternatively, I could run the subwoofers on the front speakers (one connected to the right and the other to the left). One day I will find another matching set of SP-2500s.

Thanks for input and let me know if I am overthinking this - as I was just going to try each configuration to see what sounds good. Thanks for any input - Bob
The Involve Audio Surround Master sounds like exactly what you need for this setup. (I have no financial interest in this, just a fan). It decodes matrix LPs and has a sub output if you want to use it. You may have to configure some switching to allow both the SM and the Oppo to connect to your amps, but that’s fairly straightforward.

I was reading an atmos article somewhere, talking about using subs in the ceiling too

has anyone tried a sub in the ceiling for a quad setup? I guess you could call it a superwoofer instead of a subwoofer

I am putting together a new quad setup with powered speakers and am on the fence with how many subs I should get. I have 2 subs now (1 for each pair of fronts and rears, need 1 more for a 5.1. I have 4 matching full range speakers ( 5 actually, one more for a 5.1 center channel) that have outputs that work with a same brand sub. The sub has 2 inputs so you can put one sub with 2 speakers or one sub for each full range speaker. I haven't set it up yet to test but can't help thinking one sub with each main speaker would be really cool for Quad, but expensive. Especially if I extend that out to the 5.x and eventually Atmos. I would need to buy 3 more subs instead of just one more for 5.1.
More. MORE. MOOOOORRRRRREEEEE!!!!!

I was reading an atmos article somewhere, talking about using subs in the ceiling too

has anyone tried a sub in the ceiling for a quad setup? I guess you could call it a superwoofer instead of a subwoofer
Plaster might rain down along with the sound. You'd need to vacuum after everything you listen to!

I can put one subwoofer in the front splitting the L/R and I could do the same for the rear.
My opinion, this would be the best in your particular situation.
I think one important factor is your room. If you are listening in a 4 wall closed room, then this would be the choice to hopefully take out the bass nulls in your seating area.
If you have an open concept room than it would be more of an experiment.
It's a deep dive question because ultimately it comes down to the room and the reaction to the bass.
My go to will still be one for the fronts and one for the rears, and experiment from there.
Good luck, and keep us posted.

Why not bodyshakers with a 30cm Bass in Sofa? Any 5.1 amp or preamp can give you the mix for a subwoofer amp and will not distort the 4 main channels.
(have 2 bodyshakers and one 30cm in sofa, powered by a 150W FosiAudio 20Hz...200Hz = feels very good)

That's going to cause a lot of leakage into adjacent spaces, upstairs, or to other rooms via attic space. Don't know if that's a problem in your situation.

That's going to cause a lot of leakage into adjacent spaces, upstairs, or to other rooms via attic space. Don't know if that's a problem in your situation.
I put mine under a staircase behind the media area. Acts like a funnel.

Latest posts

Back