EPI M202 speakers in a quad setup - anyone use vinage EPIs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmorit01

QQ Supporter
Hello everyone,

I have two quad setups one version is a Sansui QRX-7500 with Sansui SP-2500 and the SF-2 omnidirectional table speaker. Also, picked up an Sansui QRX-5001 and use Sansui LM series (made for 2 years in the 70s) -- LM-220s in front and LM-110s in the rear. I like these more than I expected and paired with subwoofers are very nice.

Saw a craigslist ad for EPI M202. Basically, they are selling the cabinets and woofers need refoam or replacement -- probably a full rebuild as they are basically selling the cabinets as the drivers need work. The EPI M202 is two-sided speaker with an 8" woofer and tweeter on each side of the "front". Unique and I have never heard a pair but was wondering if any of you have used them -- impressions, recommendations. I see regulars sales of the EPI 100 series as they must have sold lots of those. They seemed to experimented a bit by placing pairs of woofers and tweeters on the sides or even facing upwards. Any other EPI models I should potentially look at ?

I have been studying Human Speakers as they have replacement drivers and cross-overs.

Thanks for any input - Bob

"twsided" speaker -
epi202.jpg

Hello everyone,

I have two quad setups one version is a Sansui QRX-7500 with Sansui SP-2500 and the SF-2 omnidirectional table speaker. Also, picked up an Sansui QRX-5001 and use Sansui LM series (made for 2 years in the 70s) -- LM-220s in front and LM-110s in the rear. I like these more than I expected and paired with subwoofers are very nice.

Saw a craigslist ad for EPI M202. Basically, they are selling the cabinets and woofers need refoam or replacement -- probably a full rebuild as they are basically selling the cabinets as the drivers need work. The EPI M202 is two-sided speaker with an 8" woofer and tweeter on each side of the "front". Unique and I have never heard a pair but was wondering if any of you have used them -- impressions, recommendations. I see regulars sales of the EPI 100 series as they must have sold lots of those. They seemed to experimented a bit by placing pairs of woofers and tweeters on the sides or even facing upwards. Any other EPI models I should potentially look at ?

I have been studying Human Speakers as they have replacement drivers and cross-overs.

"twsided" speaker -
epi202.jpg
Hi Bob, I have owned a few pair of EPI 100's over the years along with a couple of others. My friend used to own a pair of these speakers so I got to listen to them many times at his house. One time in particular he had his along with another friend's 202's setup in a quad configuration at one of his many party's back in 1975-1976 timeframe. I remember being fascinated with the sound produced by these 4 speakers, one in each corner of his room, just rocking out great tunes all night long. As far as being used as part of a quad system, I would give them high praise but remember, that was nearly 50 years ago.
I also have experience with Human Speakers. I have used his crossover replacements in a couple of my 100's and they sounded quite good. Huw is a really nice person to deal with and seems to know what he is talking about. I wish you well in your endevor.

Hello everyone,

"twsided" speaker -
epi202.jpg
I have two different thoughts about those speakers. Firstly they look very cool and refoam speaker kits are not expensive. Even to replace the drivers (with something similar) won't necessarily break the bank. So if you can get the cabinets cheap it might be worthwhile.

My second thought is that it is not a good design. Back in the day I experimented with creating an omnidirectional speaker, by placing identical drivers on each of the four sides. My hope was that the drivers would have good enough dispersion so as to create a truly omni directional soundfield. It did not work, it exhibited severe lobing, that is it sounded loud standing in front of a side but as you moved around to the corner of the speaker the sound was almost gone.

So would these speakers be any good in an actual system, I don't know. You would have to try to find out. If you do please post the results!

Back