Your Best Surround Demo Song On SA-CD (Pick One Only)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on what the person is familiar with, it's usually one of these:

Billy Joel - Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
Elton John - Levon
NIN - The Becoming (Mad multi-channel mix, intense, never gimmicky)
John Mayer - Clarity
Peter Gabriel - I Grieve
The Police - Walking on the Moon
Dire Straits - Why Worry?
Depeche Mode - Policy of Truth
Joe Satriani - You Saved My Life

Babylon Sisters from Steely Dan's Gaucho. Great sound, great mixing. Often are those who have listen to the song in the original 2-ch stereo quite sceptical to surround, wondering "how can it possibly sound any better?"

Then they understand. :)

Babylon Sisters from Steely Dan's Gaucho. Great sound, great mixing. Often are those who have listen to the song in the original 2-ch stereo quite sceptical to surround, wondering "how can it possibly sound any better?"

Then they understand. :)

you obviously have not listened to kamakiriad dvd-audio cut.

I like to play "Someone Save my Life" off of Capitan Fantastic or "Take a Chance" off of Avalon.

My favorite today is Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Melissa Etheridge, Joe McBride "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes" from Long Walk to Freedom.

Chris

My favorite today is Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Melissa Etheridge, Joe McBride "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes" from Long Walk to Freedom.

Chris

The Ladysmith Black Mambazo Surround Sound SACDs are amazing! A real Surround Sound showcase.

Ditto for the LA Guitar Quartet's Surround Sound SACD LAGQ: Latin.

The Ladysmith Black Mambazo Surround Sound SACDs are amazing! A real Surround Sound showcase.....

I agree. They only make the listener yearn for the 5.1 Graceland mix that's out there somewhere. :(

I agree. They only make the listener yearn for the 5.1 Graceland mix that's out there somewhere. :(

Yes, Graceland is far and away my favorite Paul Simon album, it would be a great title for surround. Joe McBride is a better singer than Paul so the version of "Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes" on "Long Walk to Freedom" is really good as well.

Chris

Hello,

My favorite stand alone song on SACD comes from a "Heads Up" sampler called "Jazzin' Surround". It too is a Joe McBride song called "Woke Up This Morning". It doesn't hurt that it is such a high profile song in the sense that it gets used in the soundtrack to "The Sopranos" television show in the opening credits. The TV connection always helps to garner a few points when demonstrating surround to the uninitiated. When I demo'd this song to QuadBob he leaped out of his chair to grab the liner notes. I didn't understand why he was so excited about the song until he exclaimed that is was from a television show that he watched regularly. I told him that I wasn't aware of the TV show, just that this was such a great surround song that I thought he should hear it. I'm sure he has his own copy by now.

Of course it doesn't hurt that it is also a killer mix that makes this song to die for compared to the stereo version.

Attachments

• joe.jpg
    joe.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 323
Hello,

My favorite stand alone song on SACD comes from a "Heads Up" sampler called "Jazzin' Surround". It too is a Joe McBride song called "Woke Up This Morning". It doesn't hurt that it is such a high profile song in the sense that it gets used in the soundtrack to "The Sopranos" television show in the opening credits. The TV connection always helps to garner a few points when demonstrating surround to the uninitiated. When I demo'd this song to QuadBob he leaped out of his chair to grab the liner notes. I didn't understand why he was so excited about the song until he exclaimed that is was from a television show that he watched regularly. I told him that I wasn't aware of the TV show, just that this was such a great surround song that I thought he should hear it. I'm sure he has his own copy by now.

Of course it doesn't hurt that it is also a killer mix that makes this song to die for compared to the stereo version.

That is a good one. And the Heads Up folks were never shy about immersive Surround Sound mixes!

It depends on what I'm trying to demonstrate. For pure surround I use "Madman Across the Water" from Elton John's Tumbleweed Conection. For sonic's and surround I use Hiromi's Sonicbloom "Led Boots" from Beyond Standard. For sonics I use Mark Knopfler "Back To Tupelo" from Shangri-La.

Hello,

Thanks....Just snagged one off Ebay for 10 bucks delivered (y)

For a surround demo song on SACD format, I pick "Zoom!" by Super Furry Animals. The song is plodding, but really good and demonstrates perfect use of surround with something different coming from every speaker in a tasteful way. The album as a whole is mixed really well and the material is to me far better than their previous surround DVD, "Rings Around the World".

Back