Beatles to release expanded "Red" and "Blue" compilations in Dolby Atmos, including brand new song "Now and Then"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many of us don't have Atmos, nor do we want it. Yet we DO want 5.1. I'm also not a fan of downloads. I prefer a medium I can hold in my hand, knowing it's always going to be there. Downloads are fine for those who want them, but if their computers, or media players crash, there's the potential of losing a favorite recording. Sure, you can back up your system, but what if the files become corrupted? With a properly handled BD-A, or SACD, you have it at your fingertips.
I have had three disks fail me. I have never lost a file. Even when my NAS failed, I was able to replace it and restore my HDs with backups. I think backed up files are definitely more reliable than optical discs, and much more convenient.

Because discs aren’t susceptible to damage or outright failure, right? :LOL:
Can you honestly tell me downloads aren't susceptible to system crashes, that can cause loss of data? (Oops... I forgot to back it up!) And can you honestly say that, in all cases, the downloads are completely lossless? Once again, I say, give me the disc!

I have had three disks fail me. I have never lost a file. Even when my NAS failed, I was able to replace it and restore my HDs with backups. I think backed up files are definitely more reliable than optical discs, and much more convenient.
I still prefer something tangible, that I can hold in my hand. Something that can also give me liner notes. I could say that's just me, but I believe there are a number of us on this forum who agree with me.

Can you honestly tell me downloads aren't susceptible to system crashes, that can cause loss of data? (Oops... I forgot to back it up!) And can you honestly say that, in all cases, the downloads are completely lossless? Once again, I say, give me the disc!
If the user doesn't have the foresight to back up their data, that's on them - especially considering how cheap additional storage is these days (a 4TB external drive will run you less than $100).

...and yes, all the authorized surround download sites I'm presently aware of (Immersive Audio Album, NativeDSD, Surround Music One, etc) offer lossless files. The only places you'll find lossy multichannel nowadays are the streaming services and DVD-V discs.

Downloads aren't susceptible to system crashes if you have a backup strategy. Which is good to have, period.

In terms of lossless downloads, why would a lossless download not be lossless? Other than when the source was lossy, which would be the case if it was on disc too.

Downloads aren't susceptible to system crashes if you have a backup strategy. Which is good to have, period.

In terms of lossless downloads, why would a lossless download not be lossless? Other than when the source was lossy, which would be the case if it was on disc too.
I never back up. I always move forward!

Do you have any critical important file in your system? Something like accounting excel or other file that will cause you problems if you lose it? Do you forget backup that file?

If a downloaded music file is important to you, why not give it the same importance as the accounting excel?

I think we are used to keeping important things in safes. It's just a matter of understanding how important a downloaded file is and acting accordingly. It's not very hard.

Let's look at the Blue Album ATMOS mix of Hey Jude....
So we know a surround mix existed from "1", but that source was from one of the David Frost recordings.
Also we know "Love" has a version with some radical isolations, etc that were used, so we know when Hey Jude was recorded and overdubbed, those isolations exist as I think it was recorded onto a 8-track recorder from Olympic Studios?
Therefore - in my opinion I think Giles could have made a MORE DISCRETE surround mix if he wanted...but did not to make this song match the other songs on the red and blue album.

So we know a surround mix existed from "1", but that source was from one of the David Frost recordings.
Also we know "Love" has a version with some radical isolations, etc that were used, so we know when Hey Jude was recorded and overdubbed, those isolations exist as I think it was recorded onto a 8-track recorder from Olympic Studios?
Therefore - in my opinion I think Giles could have made a MORE DISCRETE surround mix if he wanted...but did not to make this song match the other songs on the red and blue album.

8-track, Trident.

I believe the session for Hey Jude was the first time the Beatles had access to 8-track equipment. Early August 1968. At that time EMI still only had 4-track.

I believe the session for Hey Jude was the first time the Beatles had access to 8-track equipment. Early August 1968. At that time EMI still only had 4-track.

Yes and no. EMI did have two 8-track machines, and one was set aside in case The Beatles wanted to use it (while the second was undergoing modifications), but George Martin decided to wait until a modified machine was ready. That is, until everyone realized that 8-track was the way to go and they finally started using it after being introduced to it at Trident.

Yes and no. EMI did have two 8-track machines, and one was set aside in case The Beatles wanted to use it (while the second was undergoing modifications), but George Martin decided to wait until a modified machine was ready. That is, until everyone realized that 8-track was the way to go and they finally started using it after being introduced to it at Trident.
I did not know that, very cool!

Back