Two players, one receiver; how do I hook this up?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrindenver

I have a DVD-A and an SACD player that I want to play through my Denon 3802 receiver. Uh-Oh! Only one set of analog inputs!

Can I do this connection with a set of six "Y" plugs? Is there a downside (except for the possibility of accidentally running simultaneous signals? Or is there an inexpensive option -- box, switcher, whatever.

I already own a universal player -- Denon 2900 -- installed downstairs. Can't justify another uni box right now.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

mrindenver said:
I have a DVD-A and an SACD player that I want to play through my Denon 3802 receiver. Uh-Oh! Only one set of analog inputs!

Can I do this connection with a set of six "Y" plugs? Is there a downside (except for the possibility of accidentally running simultaneous signals? Or is there an inexpensive option -- box, switcher, whatever.

I already own a universal player -- Denon 2900 -- installed downstairs. Can't justify another uni box right now.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

A/V switcher from RadioShack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_003_010_011_000&product_id=15-1952

Most say that using the video connection on these as an audio connection doesn't matter. There is another solution way back using another kind of computer? switch that is on another thread. Maybe someone else can remember where this is?

What is the downside to six sets of "Y" cables? Seems to me it would eliminate the need for any switching at all, and might in fact, introduce less "noise" than a pair or trio of RS devices.

I'm not fully versed in the technical issues, but the y-cable solution creates capacitance/load issues that will adversely affect performance of the two players. You need a switch that will keep only one device physically connected at a time.

Seconded on the above technically Cai, though I'd be surprised if there was an audiable difference even if it does alter the loading.
Alternatively I think Monster did a Y splitter cable a while back, but I shudder to think of the price. What Hifi used it in their reference system I believe. You could build your own though if you fancy trying it out -analogue interconnects all sound the same anyway if properly designed (Ouch! Someone'll want to crucify me for that one, but in enginering terms it's the truth, sadly) so that shouldn't be an issue. Triple-shielded cable is cheap enough.
Good luck!
Scott

I use gold plated y cables from radio shack. It sounds fine to me, though your cables are only as good as it's weakest link. It's all a matter of $$. In my case, I have to have the power to the DVD-A on while using the SACD.

Scottmoose said:
analogue interconnects all sound the same anyway if properly designed (Ouch! Someone'll want to crucify me for that one, but in enginering terms it's the truth, sadly) so that shouldn't be an issue. Scott

I triple dog dare you to post that on another forum.

Help!

I tried doing just what was suggested above, as I have the same problem with my Sony DA333ES: only 1 set of 5.1 inputs for two players: DVD-A (Panasonic) and SACD (Sony). And when I perform this hookup, I don't get any sound at all thru the receiver from EITHER player.

Does anyone have any idea if any of this equipment doesn't like Y splitters for any reason? My brain hurts! :mad:@:

Thanks in advance...

Scottmoose said:
I think Monster did a Y splitter cable a while back, but I shudder to think of the price. What Hifi used it in their reference system I believe. Scott
I had the Monster Ys & had to return them---almost inaudible sound from both players (plugged into the 6ch input of a Yamaha DSP A-1). Went to the Radio Shack video splitters (4 of them in order to hook up DVD-A, SACD, & my quad receiver, Lafayette LR-5000). It works great.

Back