(1977-03) Audio mag - (matrix) Quad Broadcasts

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/70s/Audio-1977-03.pdf#page=30^^^
...BBC...80 quadraphonic programs per year, of
which 90 per are encoded in SQ.

I still wonder why the BBC developed Matrix H, the SQ matrix was developed to fold down to mono (except CB) and without phase shift between L(t) and R(t).

Kirk Bayne

I believe that reference from Ben Bauer on SQ , is regarding 1976 prior use for Transcriptions Services , which are made available for overseas markets.
There may have been one or two transmission in Britain, but they would have been secretly done , so unofficial.

Matrix H broadcasts commenced April 30 , 1977 on the BBC .

BTW I personally find that total of SQ programs incredible, and I agree with Ben Bauer that CBS should have been doing a better job informing the quad loving public of these SQ encodes. As a further source of SQ encoded music programs these would have gone a long way to bolster SQ matrix credibility.

Back in 1973 ? CBS had a quad newsletter, for the general public and unfortunately I never got to see any . It would have been a great asset to have along with your quad music collection.

Last edited:
Back