(1978-10) S R mag - Time Delay Systems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO for good reason. These units came out after the industry had killed off quad. They were just trying to reinvent the wheel. True audiophiles would never accept something that was purely artificial.

Artificial reverb is best left for the pros to use creatively in the studio. Today using digital techniques it is a breeze to accomplish, but is more of a gimmick on home systems.

Many/most of those old units used a bucket brigade delay line. The article even acknowledges that sound quality is compromised as longer delays are used.

This reminds me of an Elementary Electronics article circa 1971 about how to build a Quadraphonic synthesizer. They used a small speaker attached to a garden hose with a microphone on the end. The length of hose provided the delay, but the sound quality must have been horrendous!

I have a bucket brigade chip and a circuit board from a late seventies magazine article to build such a delay unit. I lent the magazine to a friend and never got it back so the project never got built. Since I have found a download of the magazine but I don't have a lot of ambition to complete the project. The traces on the board have all turned green and so would require a good cleaning before accepting solder.

Last edited:
These time delay systems seem geared toward classical music listeners, I don't know the %classical to %popular music ratio (in the late 1970s), it's kinda too bad that the time delay system makers didn't include Hafler "decoding" also, as sort of a backup (or for popular music) fake surround sound option.

Kirk Bayne

These time delay systems seem geared toward classical music listeners, I don't know the %classical to %popular music ratio (in the late 1970s), it's kinda too bad that the time delay system makers didn't include Hafler "decoding" also, as sort of a backup (or for popular music) fake surround sound option.

Kirk Bayne
That would be too much like quad which they had just killed. That idea (rear delay) was used with the original Dolby Surround system.

Back