(1979-01) R E mag - Quad FM status report

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
https://www.worldradiohistory.com/A...0s/1979/Radio-Electronics-1979-01.pdf#page=47^^^
The Zenith system also uses an encode/decode noise-reduction system, similar to the Dolby system, in order to maintain a lower overall noise level...

This is the first time I've heard about adding NR to quad FM.

I meant to ask Louis Dorren if he ever considered adding NR to the newly added subcarriers in his quad FM broadcasting system proposal.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
As with AM Stereo the adoption of an FM standard came much too late.

In the early seventies there was much optimism that quad would quickly take over from stereo. While that optimism was countered by the public's' apathetic reception of quad and the fact that the technology was still in its infancy, there was still that strong initial push. In hindsight had the developers chose to work together a decision might have came in sooner. Soon enough to make a difference? We will never know.

I have always thought that the idea that CD-4 records would be a reliable source of quad source material was a bit unrealistic. The (discrete) idea was a bit ahead of the technology. Lou Doran was a main proponent of both CD-4 and of Discrete Quad FM broadcasting, he helped to develop better technology in an attempt to make that "dream" happen.

Matrix had been a source of FM quad for some time and didn't require a new standard for broadcasting. I think that attempts to make SQ or QS an a actual FM broadcast standard was a bit ridiculous and just added to the infighting and helped to delay any decision.

Worry about SCA music service being disrupted is rather laughable today, is it still used anywhere anymore?

Quad FM - sounds like a job for the Electro-Voice Universal Matrix - kinda SQ, kinda QS, but not invented by CBS or Sansui, could be logic enhanced (tech used in the SM for example).

Possibly use the USQ technique of optional additional subcarriers (FM only) to increase the channel separation.

(of course, E-V UM quad could be done today on FM and AM stereo radio)

Kirk Bayne

Back