'70s TV Series, "The Midnight Special" gets it's own You Tube Channel.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5.1 4 Life

300 Club - QQ All-Star
From BestClassicBands.com-
At last! An official YouTube Channel has been created for The Midnight Special TV series, celebrating the legendary late-night TV show that featured the biggest names in music, comedy and entertainment from the 70s and early 80s. The March 6, 2023, launch comes from producer Burt Sugarman.

From Musical legends like Tina Turner, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Elton John, The Beach Boys, Fleetwood Mac, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Johnny Cash, and Olivia Newton-John, to comedians like Steve Martin, Billy Crystal, Richard Pryor and George Carlin, The Midnight Special showcased many of the industry’s biggest artists between 1972 and 1981.

One of the first clips shared on The Midnight Special YouTube channel comes from Oct. 12, 1973. The Bee Gees served as hosts at the taping in Burbank, Calif., singing many of their own songs. The trio were in somewhat of a cold spell and without a Top 10 U.S. hit since 1971. (They would return to the top of the charts in a big way in 1975 with “Jive Talkin’,” which paved the way for their enormous success throughout the rest of the decade.

On this night, their guests on The Midnight Special included King Crimson and Lee Michaels. But their most noteworthy performer was none other than Chuck Berry. Following the surprising success of 1972’s “My Ding-a-Ling,” his first hit in nearly a decade, Chess Records had issued a newly recorded live version of his 1957 favorite, “Reelin’ and Rockin’,” as a single and it ultimately reached #27.

On this occasion Berry, clad in fabulous multi-colored patchwork trousers, begins to perform his composition with his song. It’s not until the 2 1/2-minute mark that he’s joined by Barry Gibb, Robin Gibb and Maurice Gibb as the now-foursome brings it home, followed by a reprise.

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=272822
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadruplex_videotape
I saw an infomercial a few years ago containing segments from The Midnight Special programs - the sound quality was excellent for a mono soundtrack (apparently) recorded on the 2 inch tape "quad" professional videotape machines the broadcast networks used.

Although present day audio processing can reduce the tape hiss, it can't reduce distortion or extend the frequency response of an audio signal, I had never seen the audio specs of the "quad" VTRs - so I asked about it in the above link - fortunately the audio specs were quite good.

Kirk Bayne

Wow.

I got a lot of the DVD rips too but if they had the Faces 'It's All Over Now' performance I missed it.

Truly hilarious footage.

The camera zooming in on Rod's ass.

Rod letting Ronnie know there was a bit of coke on his nose when they sang together at the mic etc.

On this night, their guests on The Midnight Special included King Crimson and Lee Michaels. But their most noteworthy performer was none other than Chuck Berry. Following the surprising success of 1972’s “My Ding-a-Ling,” his first hit in nearly a decade, Chess Records had issued a newly recorded live version of his 1957 favorite, “Reelin’ and Rockin’,” as a single and it ultimately reached #27.

er...not to me, given that guest list

I notice the KC segment hasn't been posted to their Youtube channel yet, though.

Back