A strange issue with my "new" Sansui QRX-9001. Any ideas?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any idea is worth a try and, at this point I don't consider anything too crazy. :geek:

The house is only 4 years old and we kinda watched it being built. I don't think there's anything behind that wall that should be causing it. But who knows? 🤷‍♂️
Spirits. Spirits & demons. Call the Ghostbusters:
1-800-555-2368

Yeah, I was anal enough that when they were building my house about 16 years ago (damn, been that long now!) that I took digital photos of the wiring in the walls of most rooms before they put up the wallboard.

How about just outside the house, any large equipment like A/C units etc.?

And what about any adjacent rooms?

The interference must be coming from somewhere.
It's upstairs in our "bonus" room. There's nothing on the other side of that wall it's against. It's the upper level of the high living room and hallway. The AC unit is on the other side of the house in the attic.

It's definitely coming from somewhere! 🤨

Did you have pre amp out and power amp in jacks installed? When I had my first QRX7001 "restored" by QuadBob I had similar issues ubtil I removed that wiring.

I don't think there's that option.
PXL_20201014_224146057.jpg

Just a guess, do you have WIFI? Try unplugging/moving the router.
And YOU WIN! :SB:LB:SG

The WiFi is probably 15 feet from the receiver, but that was it.

I also tried connecting the receiver to a grounding and it caused even more hum.

Now I have to figure out how the heck am I going to move that router. :unsure:

Thank you ALL for your help. This group has been a godsend.

Attachments

• thankyou40-9926fa5b179745a2592e34cf7b03c959.png
    thankyou40-9926fa5b179745a2592e34cf7b03c959.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 85

I also tried connecting the receiver to a grounding and it caused even more hum.

Glad it worked! I was watching a Techmoan video the other day about a tape recorder and he apologized for the WIFI interference due to his wife teleconferencing, so he couldn't shut it off. I immediately thought of that video when you said that it worked in a different location, I can actually hear WIFI in certain parts of the room when I turn my head a certain angle(or maybe I'm just cazy!)

Glad it worked! I was watching a Techmoan video the other day about a tape recorder and he apologized for the WIFI interference due to his wife teleconferencing, so he couldn't shut it off. I immediately thought of that video when you said that it worked in a different location, I can actually hear WIFI in certain parts of the room when I turn my head a certain angle(or maybe I'm just cazy!)
Nice job, I feel I learned something important today; that I would never have thought of.

I'm wondering what part in the Sansui is susceptible to this, and if qrxrestore should have seen the faulty or un-protected part when they restored it, or is that something that would be typical in most Sansui gear? I don't have a router near mine; just an extender maybe 25-30 feet away.

Nice job, I feel I learned something important today; that I would never have thought of.

I'm wondering what part in the Sansui is susceptible to this, and if qrxrestore should have seen the faulty or un-protected part when they restored it, or is that something that would be typical in most Sansui gear? I don't have a router near mine; just an extender maybe 25-30 feet away.
Whatever it is, it's on the left side, center of the panel. Whatever is behind that. But I'm not adventurous enough to open it up at this point

Whatever it is, it's on the left side, center of the panel. Whatever is behind that. But I'm not adventurous enough to open it up at this point
Righto - they sent me a detailed list of what they did to mine and what a hassle it is to get one of these spread open and out to work on - sounded pretty scary!

Three cheers to @furui_suterioo ! He saved an expensive shipment back to QRXRestore. And they wouldn't have found the problem anyway!

Three cheers to @furui_suterioo ! He saved an expensive shipment back to QRXRestore. And they wouldn't have found the problem anyway!
Gracias guys, my QSD-2 is currently in Oregon now approaching 8 weeks, I've been holding off playing my Japanese DSOTM QS the whole time so that I can hear it on the Sansui before the Involve, so anxious!

It's not just Sansui equipment. Modern digital electronics is the bane of classic, analog gear.

I'm glad I don't have WiFi or any of that s**t. It's bad enough that my DVD/CD player sometimes interferes with my CD-4 demodulators.

Doug

Our beloved 1970s vintage electronics weren't designed for modern interferences. I stopped trying to use my JVC 4-DD5 because if my CRT TV or computer monitor was on the radar was too.

@furui_suterioo I hear things others don't too. My biggest pet peeve is woefully out of date but I could hear the flyback transformers in soon to fail black and white vacuum tube televisions and could adjust my last 1950s TV vertical hold by ear.

Try restoring an old AM radio these days, you never really know if it's working correctly. I used to be able to pull in a large number of stations even during the day on all but the cheapest unit, now so many stations are gone and the remainder I just can't receive at all, too much interference from modern electronics! I recall back in the day that even fluorescent lights would interfere with the radio. I'm sure LED lightbulbs cause interference as well, add in a cable modem, multiple computers, video games, etc. ,etc. .etc.

Yes the horizontal oscillator in the old TV sets, not only could I hear it (I doubt if I still could hear it today) but it also caused interference my favourite station (15750Hz x 40 = 630 Khz).

Sometimes It seems that I'm still hearing that flyback transformer, but it's only tinnitus!

Last edited:
An update on my situation. I tried again and unplugged everything. Still there. Sometimes louder than others. There are no wires in the wall near there that I know of, so it's likely not that.

I dismantled the entire setup and moved the receiver to another room and.......quiet as a mouse. :cautious: So, it's something near it, but what? I have no idea.

Someone in one of the Facebook groups suggested grounding the unit from the phono connection to the screw in a wall outlet. That's next on my list. If that doesn't work, I'll need to find something that mimics my hand near the left panel. Moving it to another place in the room isn't an option, unfortunately. :cry:

You might try getting a meter that will detect electrical fields. I use a TriField meter model 100XE, and I’m sure you can get something like that from Amazon. Something like that could detect what is electrically going on that you just don’t know about.

And when you moved the unit into the other room, was anything else hooked up to it? You must’ve had headphones or speakers hooked up or you couldn’t hear the silence! Lol!
Were the speakers hooked up after you moved it? Was a source hooked up? I would start with speakers hooked up. Then add a source, then add something else as before. If your noise shows up then that is what it is. If not, then maybe the location in the other room, etc.

if you find it is the previous location, and an electric meter as I described finds interference, you may have to call out an electrician to see what is going on.

You might try getting a meter that will detect electrical fields. I use a TriField meter model 100XE, and I’m sure you can get something like that from Amazon. Something like that could detect what is electrically going on that you just don’t know about.

And when you moved the unit into the other room, was anything else hooked up to it? You must’ve had headphones or speakers hooked up or you couldn’t hear the silence! Lol!
Were the speakers hooked up after you moved it? Was a source hooked up? I would start with speakers hooked up. Then add a source, then add something else as before. If your noise shows up then that is what it is. If not, then maybe the location in the other room, etc.

if you find it is the previous location, and an electric meter as I described finds interference, you may have to call out an electrician to see what is going on.
It's all solved. It was the WiFi in the house, so I moved the router and modem.
@furui_suterioo solved it. Odd, though, since the router wasn't all that close to the receiver. I'm just super happy it's "solved." 😁

Hey, welcome to the QQ @GaryA -
yes smarty pants @furui_suterioo figured it out in post 27.

But I’ll check out that meter you recommended.

🤠

Back