Achtung Baby in surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnG

I was wondering if anyone has heard the U2 Achtung Baby DTS mix thats floating around?

That must be a fantastic album to hear in a surround format.

It must be. I've seen it at a torrent site. Don't know anyone who has heard it.

But I love that album.

I have one of the conversions. I like the separation from front to rear but it suffers from the same problem a lot of the stereo upmixes have. That is - in order to extract the rear information from the front and take away some of the extracted rear information from the front for more discreteness, some people have been using a product called ExtraBoy or ExtraBoy Pro. It basically does the same thing that Center Channel Extractor does in Audition. Sometimes it works pretty well, other times, not so good. Anyway... the problem is that the drums and other percussive sounds tend to sound soft. Instead of a "tick tick tick" on the hi hat it will sound like "sick sick sick". Snare drum hits get soft as well. Even some percussives like the pluck of a guitar or the attack of a piano note will sound soft from an attack standpoint. The conversion I have is better than some in that the separation is really good. The bad part is there are some of the soft artifacts I listed. I can listen to it sometimes but usually the artifacts win and creep into my head.

If it's an upconversion, I'll pass. If I want to hear synthesized fake surround, I'll put the CD through DPLII.

You may feel like that about upmixes. I would say, though, that there are two "up mixers" that you should look out for. One is TOUP, the other is GART. If you see either of those listings you are in for an aural treat! The guys doing these conversions really go the extra mile to make them sound good.

Bob Romano said:
there are two "up mixers" that you should look out for. One is TOUP, the other is GART. If you see either of those listings you are in for an aural treat!

Some of the TOUP Beatles stuff is unexpectedly nicely repositioned from stereo into 5.1.

Worth a listen.

zabble said:
Some of the TOUP Beatles stuff is unexpectedly nicely repositioned from stereo into 5.1.

Worth a listen.

I've listened to some of these, and usually on first listen I find them kind of interesting. But, as with any of the stuff converted from stereo to 5.1, I always go back to the stereo cd. Something about them never seems quite right. Always reminds me of a Silverline mix where I wonder why they bothered.

K

Coincidence...just heard this today in ProLogic II Music mode. Works real well and will hold me over until we get a true re-mix.

Back