Akai 1800D-SS, Q8 recorder?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadrophenia

I hope someone here can clear this up for me, maybe someone who has one of these decks. Can the 1800D-SS record Q8s, or just play them? I've heard conflicting statments both ways, but was under the impression that this deck can infact record Q8s, yet I never see it mentioned as one of the Q8 recorders available. Thanks.

-Dan

Quadrophenia said:
I hope someone here can clear this up for me, maybe someone who has one of these decks. Can the 1800D-SS record Q8s, or just play them? I've heard conflicting statments both ways, but was under the impression that this deck can infact record Q8s, yet I never see it mentioned as one of the Q8 recorders available. Thanks.

-Dan

As a rule of thumb, Q8 decks with 4 VU meters will record 4-channels, but those with only 2 meters will only record in stereo; although some will play Q8 tapes. A lot of reel decks are like that as well, although I have a Sansui unit that only plays Q4 tapes but has 4 meters. Mike.

Is that the reel to reel unit with the Q8 deck in the side? If it is, I think that is is only a playback deck that allows copying of Q8's to Reel. Of course, I may be wrong!

JonUrban said:
Is that the reel to reel unit with the Q8 deck in the side? If it is, I think that is is only a playback deck that allows copying of Q8's to Reel. Of course, I may be wrong!

Now you've got me wondering. I have one of these, but have only used the Q8 deck for playback. I always assumed it was also a recorder. I'll have to check my owners manual when I get home to confirm.

dr8track said:
Now you've got me wondering. I have one of these, but have only used the Q8 deck for playback. I always assumed it was also a recorder. I'll have to check my owners manual when I get home to confirm.

I'm glad to see all the replies! You'll have to let us know, I've been thinking I might try to find a Q8 recorder, and would keep this model in mind if it'll do the job. I think it was designed to be able to dub from one media to the other (8 track to reel I think) without external patch cords, but that really doesn't indicate if it'll record Q8s from an external source. Thanks.

-Dan

Back