Akai 280D-SS running slow

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sqapeck1990

Hi Everyone

I have recently obtained an Akai 280D-SS, everything is great and functions perfectly (y) apart from 2 playback issues. There is some hissing in some of the channels (i will fix this by using a tape head demagnetizer)and the tape speed seems a little slow and can be quite noticeable when playing pre recorded tapes, does anyone know how to solve this issue?, is it a straightforward belt replacement or does it require the adjustment of pots inside? :confused:

I would guess that the drive belt is slipping and needs to be replaced. Also, be sure you have the line voltage switch in the proper position for your location.

MTGC (Michael)

ah now changing the voltage is debatable if you live in the UK, my 280D-SS is currently set to 240v however some say the UK voltage can vary between 220v-240v so im not so sure that changing the voltage would solve the issue.

I have now ordered a belt replacement kit just to be safe as the belts inside are most likely to be the originals and are likely to stretch or break any time soon

Hi Everyone

I have recently obtained an Akai 280D-SS, everything is great and functions perfectly (y) apart from 2 playback issues. There is some hissing in some of the channels (i will fix this by using a tape head demagnetizer)and the tape speed seems a little slow and can be quite noticeable when playing pre recorded tapes, does anyone know how to solve this issue?, is it a straightforward belt replacement or does it require the adjustment of pots inside? :confused:
you say the speed is slow.

is it a steady slow speed? with no audible w/f?

or is there wow and/or flutter?

Last edited:
ah now changing the voltage is debatable if you live in the UK, my 280D-SS is currently set to 240v however some say the UK voltage can vary between 220v-240v so im not so sure that changing the voltage would solve the issue.

The UK mains voltage is 230V +10%/-6% so can be anywhere between 216.2V and 253V.

Regards,

Peter

It runs slightly slow, tape speed is constant, no wow or flutter, took a look inside earlier, it is a huge flywheel directly attached to the capstain, and it has a speed sensor (mono tape head) so therefore i think there must be a speed adjustment pot somewhere on one of the PCBs

I'd think it's a pinch roller/drag or tensioner adjustment issue. Does the deck run noticably faster towards the beginning of a reel and slow down towards the end? Typically, you won't find a real bearing on the tensioner arms - just a bushing, and that will bind over time as the factory lube collects the crap of ages. Not always an easy fix as the pivot(s) tend to be buried fairly deep in the innards of the machine. If the pinch roller(s) are still round without checks, they should do the job, but considering the age of the deck, I imagine they're not providing consistent control. Chances are also good they're gummy if anybody's ever tried to "clean" (read:destroy) them with chemical sprays and such. Rollers are hard to come by new, used are probably worse than what ya got, but yours can be rebuilt fairly inexpensively.

Not familiar with this exact model, but most of these multi-voltage Akai's have a switch for 50/60 Hz, and an adjustment for positioning of the drive belt on the motor and flywheel for correct speed. I don't know what frequency your power in the UK is. There generally is no speed adjustment for these AC "capstan motors". Their speed is governed by your power source frequency.

Hi Everyone

I Have it set to 50hz, and at 220v (Previously it was set to 240V but didn't make any difference when setting it to 220V), the tape speed is constant throughout play so I don't think it is something to do with worn out belts as i couldn't see any when looking inside the deck

UPDATE

After much consideration I have decided I will get it serviced because I don't want to try fixing it and then breaking something else in the process :( .I will get it serviced by 'Service Sound' here in the UK (http://www.servicesound.com/)

they've given me an estimate of about £140-160 to get it serviced (Inc P&P)

UPDATE

After much consideration I have decided I will get it serviced because I don't want to try fixing it and then breaking something else in the process :( .I will get it serviced by 'Service Sound' here in the UK (http://www.servicesound.com/)

they've given me an estimate of about £140-160 to get it serviced (Inc P&P)

please let us know how that works out for you. and how the deck works and sounds after.

Back