All Software SM?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
There are some all software matrix decoders already, I was wondering if there are plans to write an all software (probably to run under Windows) Surround Master logic directed QS & SQ matrix decoder (would also need a computer with 4 line level outputs)?

(such a decoder would alleviate hardware supply chain issues but might not be profitable due to the software piracy issue)

Kirk Bayne

There are some all software matrix decoders already, I was wondering if there are plans to write an all software (probably to run under Windows) Surround Master logic directed QS & SQ matrix decoder (would also need a computer with 4 line level outputs)?

(such a decoder would alleviate hardware supply chain issues but might not be profitable due to the software piracy issue)

Kirk Bayne
Yes there are some scripts for offline decoding but I can't think of many real time software matrix decoders, and for good reason - few PC's could host the high speed processing required. And good luck finding a PC with 4 line level outputs!

And good luck finding a PC with 4 line level outputs!
Actually PC,s have long supported 5.1 and even 7.1 audio via line level outputs. My first real computer circa 1998 even had such a card. The CREATIVE LABS Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 PCI Sound Card being one of the the best known.

The problem that I always had was that I wanted four or more inputs, common cards only had multi channel outputs and stereo inputs.
Over the years I went through the Maya 44, Delta 44, Delta 66 to what I'm now using the Digigram VX822HR to get that capability.

We are talking real Desktop computers here I have little affinity for laptops!

Real time decoding isn't a concern to me, I would like the SM version of variable matrix decoding of QS and SQ in software.

An all software DTS encoder could be used to make a DTS encoded datastream from the (4.0) SM matrix decoded .wav files of your own music (for personal use only) and recorded on CD-Rs/DVD-Rs/BD-Rs/USB to listen to on your other surround sound systems (car/home).

Kirk Bayne

Actually PC,s have long supported 5.1 and even 7.1 audio via line level outputs. My first real computer circa 1998 even had such a card. The CREATIVE LABS Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 PCI Sound Card being one of the the best known.

The problem that I always had was that I wanted four or more inputs, common cards only had multi channel outputs and stereo inputs.
Over the years I went through the Maya 44, Delta 44, Delta 66 to what I'm now using the Digigram VX822HR to get that capability.

We are talking real Desktop computers here I have little affinity for laptops!
Oh, I don't think I've seen a desk top computer for 20 years. No interest in the things, waste of space as far as I'm concerned!

Oh, I don't think I've seen a desk top computer for 20 years. No interest in the things.

Matrix (SM?) software decoding and then DTS encoding of the resulting 4.0 output then writing to a CD-R etc. could very likely be done on a laptop, just need a stereo audio input.

Kirk Bayne

Real time decoding isn't a concern to me, I would like the SM version of variable matrix decoding of QS and SQ in software.

An all software DTS encoder could be used to make a DTS encoded datastream from the (4.0) SM matrix decoded .wav files of your own music (for personal use only) and recorded on CD-Rs/DVD-Rs/BD-Rs/USB to listen to on your other surround sound systems (car/home).

Kirk Bayne
Kirk, I believe Chucky and Dave over at Involve started looking into a software VM decode; but were having issues getting it to perform to their liking. Maybe @chucky3042 could fill us in on any progress of this?

Matrix (SM?) software decoding and then DTS encoding of the resulting 4.0 output then writing to a CD-R etc. could very likely be done on a laptop, just need a stereo audio input.

Kirk Bayne
But why would you want to go with lossy DTS?

Myself I prefer decoding on the fly. IMHO a must for stereo playback anyway.

Last edited:
I was thinking about a situation where the computer doesn't have 4 line level audio outputs (only a stereo audio input), the software matrix decoding could be done in the computer and the creation of a DTS (4.0) encoded datastream could also be done in software in the same computer (the 4 .wav files would also be stored in this same computer).

This way, with a CD-R/DVD-R writer, DTS 4.0 encoded discs could be produced which would allow your matrix decoded music to be played on your other home or car surround sound systems that have DTS decoders but lack matrix decoding.

I realize that DTS isn't lossless, but my method would likely work (non-real time software matrix decoding - software DTS encoding - CD/DVD writing) on a laptop.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Yes there are some scripts for offline decoding but I can't think of many real time software matrix decoders, and for good reason - few PC's could host the high speed processing required. And good luck finding a PC with 4 line level outputs!

Plenty of PCs (laptops included) have HDMI out. If all the surround decoding is done in the PC, and the output is 4 PCM channels, HDMI is entirely sufficient. If the multichannel audio is encoded to DTS or DD surround, even an optical connection would suffice.

I'm in the process of making (original) Dolby Surround encoded (by my Sony Blu-ray/MCH SACD player) DVD-Rs (for personal use only) of my MCH optical discs (DD, DTS, DSD) so I can listen to my MCH content on my bedroom surround sound system (which is 3 speaker Hafler/DynaQuad only, no QS, SQ, DD, DTS etc.).

My proposal about software matrix decoded -> DTS encoded -> recordable optical disc scheme is to make it easy to play your matrix decoded music on your other surround sound systems (no HDMI cable or optical cable needed).

Kirk Bayne

Kirk, I believe Chucky and Dave over at Involve started looking into a software VM decode; but were having issues getting it to perform to their liking. Maybe @chucky3042 could fill us in on any progress of this?
Encode actually, only problem is that it sounded not right and we have not had the time/ budget to work on it........we really want to!

Back