Another odd-ball Dolby Surround situation

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
This weekend past, I found the album linked here (Handel's Messiah High Performance BMG Classics):

http://www.amazon.com/Messiah-BLEGEN-CIESINSKI-MUSICA-WESTENBURG/dp/B00000JMH6/ref=sr_1_1_twi_aud_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1443628055&sr=8-1&keywords=handel+messiah+high+performance

As you can see from the back, the cds are Dolby Surround encoded. I am wondering if anybody has experience with a disc of this type.
What is the proper setting to decode? I have tried Dolby Pro Logic and PLII Music. Both seem to just reproduce the stereo fronts in the rears and I'm not sure what is going to the center, but it is active.
In contrast, the Dolby Surround encoded DVD I found recently (The Planets) automagically selected PLII Movie on the receiver.
Google searches, to this point, have not revealed any instructions for how to play this puppy back in glorious Dolby Surround!!!
If anybody has any tips or tricks, let me know!

Hmmm... I have found a thread at the AVS forum, where some posts very confidently assert you need either a Dolby Surround Decoder or a receiver that can do PL or PLIIx.
So, it sounds like trying PLIIx is on my to-do list. Maybe more complex passages will reveal some cool separation?
Anybody else have any Dolby Surround cds?

I have several but haven't listened in quite a while, I'm sure I just PLII'd them, can't recall which mode though. We have had threads about them here and I recall there used to be a webpage that discussed them. Try a search, I'm sure others discussed playback. John

Back