Anyone besides me have a problem with AHDN mix?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Schmilsson1969

The mix on the "A Hard Day's Night" Miramax DVD is really strange. It's the mono soundtrack with Center channel during non musical sequences and double Duophonic during the musical sequences. That is, A double mono track in the front left and right speakers and the same mono track in the rears with echo added for ambience. I have a problem with Mriamax releasing this mix just so they can say "Remastered in DD 5.1!". It's mono, fo god's sake and should be just that.. in mono.

Terry

Interesting.

Some DVD Videos I've rented with "5.1 sound" turn out to have the "Chace System" used - which is DVD-ease for electronically rechanneled to simulate surround. Yuck !

You should hear the boys at the Steve Hoffman board howling about this soundtrack. Good thing I kept my LD!

:-jon

I was just going to mention that.

It sounds like the reissue uses the Mono soundtrack and then simulates a 5.1 mix from that - with some less than desirable results.

I'm with Jon, keep that Laserdisc !

Does the LD have the original mono soundtrack? If it does, I would be forever grateful if somebody would please make me a VHS copy of it. I am so sick and tired of hearing the stereo versions of this move. Now they are "enhancing" the mono version!!!! AAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!! Leave it alone!!!!! I was going to buy the new DVD when it came out, but since they screwed it up yet again, I will go spend my money on the new "24" DVD box set.
Brian

Brian,

I beleive that the Criterion LD that I have has the "remastered stereo" soundtrack. Only the first release VHS tape has the mono soundtrack.

It was a large mistake not having the soundtrack selectable on the new DVD. It would be cool to select mono, stereo, or 5.1 from the DVD menu before watching the film.

That is what DVD should be all about...

Maybe the mono soundtrack is lost or destroyed???

:-jon

I think that's correct. I have the Criterion laserdisc.

As for the DVD, yes I'm puzzled why the "Special Edition" wouldn't have all 3 mixes. Very strange!

Maybe we need to wait for the Very Special Edition ?!

Back