Apogee Symphony I/O "Symphony Control" software-perfect way to monitor Atmos mixes' output, along with the Ginger Audio "Ground Control" Sphere

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I know that not a lot of folks have the almost $6K to spend on their setup, UNLESS you are a studio owner (so that you can deduct it from your taxes as an expense) but in my kinda weird setup I have 2 very helpful programs to help me monitor my Atmos outputs..
This time I am talking about Apogee's "Symphony Control" program.
Since my main computer is a Mac and it does not let you output ATMOS thru HDMI I had to come up with an "off the cuff" solution;
How do I do it?
My Mac mini is connected thru Thunderbolt to the Apogee (which then goes to my Adams and the Genelec Sub) to monitor my Logic Pro ATMOS output.
My 2 Oppos and my cheapo Sony BD player are HDMI connected into the ToneWinner AT-300 ATMOS processor (also handles the TT and Cassette outputs) whose Balanced outputs (hence the need to have all the 12 discrete outputs in Balanced AND RCA, only ONE of them can be used, though) go INTO the Apogee inputs which then can be selected using the Symphony Control. I know it's weird but, hey, it works!
Here is the main Window where you can see the outputs and also can tell if an ATMOS mix has outputs in all 12 channels, and of course their respective levels. The Apogee has 16 ins/outs just in case, I use 13 and 14 for the TT.
Screenshot 2024-06-09 at 6.49.06 PM.png

Of course , you need a crash course on how to route all of the outputs but it's very good. The great thing about this window is that the MAIN volume at right (either the Speakers or Headphone levels) are controlled by the up and down arrows in your keyboard, as well as a touch sensitive display in front of the rack unit (and ALSO through the separately sold desktop controller, about $400).

You can see peeking out in the back the Ginger Audio "Ground Control" Sphere software which also helps with the routing and even control the delay in each speaker to avoid phase issues:
(on the window to the right, in the time travel screen capture):
Screenshot 2024-06-09 at 7.15.19 PM.png

Hope this helps any QQer trying to set up their ATMOS studio... ;)

Back