Apple Mac OS crucial fault; Macs do not pass ATMOS through HDMI- any workaround to it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are several options for different speaker setups depending on how much work you want to put into it, on a pc, and with the DRP.
Even a 7.1 soundcard can do 5.1.2. Two mch capable AVR's can be connected via ASIO4ALL for same or higher configurations w/wo HDMI, though HDMI certainly makes it easier.

Yeah, there's a clue!

It looks like:
TrueHD+Atmos -> Apple MAT (which includes the still Dolby encoded TrueHD+Atmos) -> Approved Apple device supporting Apple MAT -> Atmos supporting HDMI AVR

If you don't have the Apple MAT supporting device to decode the extra layer of MAT encoding wrapping the still Atmos encoded signal, the Atmos channels get muted. They want to sell you an Apple TV or similar device.

To my knowledge, the only thing an Apple TV can do that the Mac computers can't is send encoded audio from the Apple Music streaming service to an AVR over HDMI. It will also play MP4s with lossy DD+/Atmos over the VLC app, but if I load an MKV or M4A with TrueHD/Atmos audio I get no sound.

Apple MAT (
It's Dolby MAT, not an Apple MAT.

the Atmos channels get muted.

Technically speaking, Atmos beyond the bed (5.1 streaming and 7.1 blue ray) does not have any "channels" to be "muted". Provided your AVR or Pre/Pro is at least 5.1 capable, you lose nothing. The Atmos meta data information is just that, information or bits to be read by an Atmos rendering device, i.e. an Atmos AVR, to place exsting bed sounds into Atmos speakers. If there's no rendering, nothing is moved and the bed music is heard as intended.

The Atmos Soundstage is essentially created in real time by your Atmos AVR as it is played, based on the information for the placement of "objects" programmed by the mixing engineer and the actual speaker configuration set in the AVR. Absent of the Atmos renderer, you always get the actual channels.

Sure, object elements instead of "channel elements". That get rendered on the fly to the available speaker array. And if that speaker array includes height channels, any audio directed to them gets muted by Apple software if your connected device is not recognized on the white list. (I've said "black list" before but it's actually a white list. This is also how they block the compatible computer models from loading a newer OS when they draw the planned obsolescence line.)

The fact that I can turn this on/off like a switch - and there it is working with the workaround - tells me this is purely software spoofing. The hardware obviously works - because here it is working!

I hesitate to suggest this is someone screwing up. Apple and Dolby just don't know what they're doing and screwed the whole thing up? And that screw up just happens to force people to run out and buy new hardware when they can't figure out the software? Doubt it.

These are smart crafty people! Atmos is a crafty system and it's just unfortunate they dialed up the greed to this level. It just makes it looks broken to the average user.

Sorry, just mostly ranting!
But my ultimate point is there's a software solution here somewhere that's worth pursuing! I'm talking through this in case it leads to a clue for someone.

Sure, object elements instead of "channel elements". That get rendered on the fly to the available speaker array. And if that speaker array includes height channels, any audio directed to them gets muted by Apple software if your connected device is not recognized on the white list. (I've said "black list" before but it's actually a white list. This is also how they .
I don't understand why you keep repeating this fallacy. Nothing gets muted. No part of the signal is lost. Height info just doesn't get re-directed. It stays in the 7 standard channels.

I don't understand why you keep repeating this fallacy. Nothing gets muted. No part of the signal is lost. Height info just doesn't get re-directed. It stays in the 7 standard channels.
Yes! Especially puzzling as it's so easy to verify. Hopefully I can put a pin in this once and for all...

I mentioned this in another thread, but at around three-and-a-half minutes into the song "Design" (from Gentle Giant's Interview) there's a crazy moment where everything drops out of the mix except for the hocketing vocals in the height speakers. This is a must-check-out song for anyone with an Atmos system.

I ripped the TrueHD audio from the Blu-Ray to 7.1 FLAC using DVD-Audio Extractor (which obviously does not contain the Dolby Atmos Renderer software) and those vocals are 100% still audible, at the same level and relative position (front heights to fronts, rear heights to rears). If the height information was really being muted, you'd see total silence in the highlighted area below.

GG Design 7.1.png

Back