Audio is Briefly Muted during Disk Playback

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wavelength

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I contacted the guys at Oppo Digital about this problem. They identified my Sony TV as the culprit. This was their reply:

Sony TVs (newer models) are unique in that they trigger HDMI handshakes even when they are off or in standby mode. Audio is briefly muted when a handshake takes place, and since the TV isn’t fully on, the handshake can never complete successfully, so you will have intermittent attempts (and intermittent dropouts) occur. The solution is to either have the TV turned on, or remove the HDMI cable from the player.

We have had customers report that they had success by changing the TV to a different input before turning off and also reports of success of using a HDMI switcher before the HDMI connection to the television. Unfortunately, these recommendations did not work for everyone and ultimately the TV either had to be on or disconnected via HDMI.

I contacted the guys at Oppo Digital about this problem. They identified my Sony TV as the culprit. This was their reply:

Sony TVs (newer models) are unique in that they trigger HDMI handshakes even when they are off or in standby mode. Audio is briefly muted when a handshake takes place, and since the TV isn’t fully on, the handshake can never complete successfully, so you will have intermittent attempts (and intermittent dropouts) occur. The solution is to either have the TV turned on, or remove the HDMI cable from the player.

We have had customers report that they had success by changing the TV to a different input before turning off and also reports of success of using a HDMI switcher before the HDMI connection to the television. Unfortunately, these recommendations did not work for everyone and ultimately the TV either had to be on or disconnected via HDMI.
I have a Sony circa 2018. When playing music, I keep the TV on, press the Action Menu button on the remote, go to the Display and Sound menu and select Picture Off to switch off the screen (while the TV is still on) which prevents any audio dropouts. Pressing the centre + button in the middle of the circle navigation buttons on your remote wakes up the screen again.

I have a Sony circa 2018. When playing music, I keep the TV on, press the Action Menu button on the remote, go to the Display and Sound menu and select Picture Off to switch off the screen (while the TV is still on) which prevents any audio dropouts. Pressing the centre + button in the middle of the circle navigation buttons on your remote wakes up the screen again.
Yeah, it's great to have a solution. I actually have a scenario where the TV is on and I still get audio dropouts: Playing my XBOX I feed the audio from the TV Optical Out to the Optical In on the Oppo. That gives me XBOX surround sound on the 5.1 Analog Outs. The other day I was playing and the audio just quit. So I disconnected the TV from the Oppo HDMI Out port. That worked. I was in slight panic mode before I knew about this fix because I'm going to be playing a lot of Starfield when it comes out.

Sony TVs (newer models) are unique in that they trigger HDMI handshakes even when they are off or in standby mode.
I have a similar issue with my combination of Oppo BDP-103D, LG B8, and Marantz SR6014. When I press play on a disc in the Oppo with the TV off, the input on the Marantz automatically switches to the ARC "TV Audio" input, even though the LG is off and the Oppo is set to "Split A/V" mode with HDMI 2 going directly to the Marantz (and HDMI 1 directly to the LG). The Marantz will stay on TV Audio unless and until I switch the input to the Oppo. If playback is stopped and resumed, the Marantz will once again change to the TV Audio input. Curious, and frustrating.

I have a similar issue with my combination of Oppo BDP-103D, LG B8, and Marantz SR6014. When I press play on a disc in the Oppo with the TV off, the input on the Marantz automatically switches to the ARC "TV Audio" input, even though the LG is off and the Oppo is set to "Split A/V" mode with HDMI 2 going directly to the Marantz (and HDMI 1 directly to the LG). The Marantz will stay on TV Audio unless and until I switch the input to the Oppo. If playback is stopped and resumed, the Marantz will once again change to the TV Audio input. Curious, and frustrating.
'SimpLink' is a misnomer. :)

Latest posts

Back