• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Media Players 101: Why use a Media Player? (Pros and Cons)

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
Let me do a ‘How To‘ on tagging with Foobar and Tagscanner over next couple of days.

In the mean time look at the docs for MMH and look at its Tag and Rename tool and Split MKV to FLAC tool to get an idea of how that works.

boondocks

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Let me do a ‘How To‘ on tagging with Foobar and Tagscanner over next couple of days.

In the mean time look at the docs for MMH and look at its Tag and Rename tool and Split MKV to FLAC tool to get an idea of how that works.
Don't rush on my account. If you think others will benefit then by all means. I appreciate the help!

HomerJAU

Staff member
I use MP3Tag that has several databases to choose from
I tried MP3Tag but I found it a bit ‘clunky’. I think Tagscanner is faster and a bit more intuitive to use, but I used Tagscanner for a long time before trying MP3Tag so maybe that’s part of it. I guess everyone has their favourite.

HomerJAU

Staff member
Many of these auto lookup tagging apps use the Freedb database that I read is being closed shortly, so interesting to see what happens. DVDAE use FreeDb only I think.

Q4-Bert

Many of these auto lookup tagging apps use the Freedb database that I read is being closed shortly, so interesting to see what happens. DVDAE use FreeDb only I think.
I use MP3Tag, best feature is, it can take Tags info from Discogs. If you know the right Discogs Release ID, it takes tags including cover from Discogs. you are sure it takes the right tag and right cover.
Only problem with discogs is with tracks with more sections (chapters).

IMachine

QQ Supporter
I use MP3Tag, best feature is, it can take Tags info from Discogs. If you know the right Discogs Release ID, it takes tags including cover from Discogs. you are sure it takes the right tag and right cover.
Only problem with discogs is with tracks with more sections (chapters).
If you choose MusicBrainz as database, you have a column with chapters and can identify the correct release faster.

atrocity

Since 2002/2003
I tried MP3Tag but I found it a bit ‘clunky’. I think Tagscanner is faster and a bit more intuitive to use, but I used Tagscanner for a long time before trying MP3Tag so maybe that’s part of it. I guess everyone has their favourite.
I always wonder about that, too. I prefer to tag with Foobar2000, but is it really better or just what I know?

DistantEarth

I prefer MusicBrainz and fallback to mp3tagger for obscure releases. MusicBrainz can Identify a track with sonic lookup but I find the best way when a rip does not have the artist and album tagged is to hit the lookup in web button. That opens musicbrainz on the web, type in the artist, click the album, click the green tagger icon. That inserts the album into the musicbrainz program. Then you can just drag the untitled track on the left window to the correct track in the right window and hit save. Set it up right and it will rename the track/album and move it to your music library in the artist folder and album folder with the album art imbedded and as a standalone Poster.jpg file, also, any PDF booklet that might come with a digital release. You only need to set it up once. After that, tagging an album takes seconds.
My Nvidia Shield with Kodi + plexkodiconnect = Crazy easy file management. Use Plex to keep things organized and Kodi's audio engine + Nvidia's DAC for playback and GUI. It's the most beautiful listening experience.
I keep my multi-channel mixes separate from stereo. Plex helps with that. Otherwise, Kodi will just mix them all together. Plex will also allow you to listen remotely in lossless or lossy.

Take a day and make this happen and you will regret everyday you wasted not getting setup earlier.

Good luck. You will lose some hair...

Group builder