Audio Technica AT33SA

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grajay

Has anyone tried the at33sa especially re CD4 and its overall sound balance. The specs say it goes up to 50000k but unfortunately no graphs. the few reviews out there do state it has great tracking ability.
My trusty Denon dl-160 is reaching about 600 hrs and unfortunately is not available any more. I don't know if I was just really lucky but it has probably been one of the best CD4 cartridges I've had in recent years.

I'd expect a lot more than 600 hours out of a decent stylus. Is this something to do with picking up the carrier frequency?

isn't it an elliptical rather than shibata or microline?
thought these weren't any good for CD-4 records?
maybe the extra tough CD-4 vinyl is knackering the stylus quicker than it should?

I'd expect a lot more than 600 hours out of a decent stylus. Is this something to do with picking up the carrier frequency?
Its the cartridge failing to pick up the carrier properly. I've always found that especially with MM cartridges (the old Audio Technica CD4 (shibata stylus), JVC X1, X2 etc al started to give problems after about 400 hours when playing CD4 records, they were still good for stereo for probably another 400 hours. Back in the mid seventies when the JVC X1 came out I complained to JVC about this. Eventually they gave me a new stylus as a goodwill gesture but sent me the main CD4 specification docs which stated that the anticipated life of a CD4 cartridge would be 3-450 hours before carrier problems.
BTW all my CD4 records still play really well, some have been played 100's of time on all sorts of turntables mostly good but some bad, all play well when a stylus is within those hours.

isn't it an elliptical rather than shibata or microline?
thought these weren't any good for CD-4 records?
maybe the extra tough CD-4 vinyl is knackering the stylus quicker than it should?
The Denon is elliptical it was by chance I tried it and was really surprised when it worked and worked really well! Shure v15 etc and other ellipticals never really worked even if they switched on the carrier.
I am wondering if a good tracking moving coil handles the high frequencies better than MM cartridges, thats why I was thinking of trying the at33sa as it has a shibata stylus but unfortunately is pretty expensive and would need a transformer especially if it I get it wrong!

The Denon is elliptical it was by chance I tried it and was really surprised when it worked and worked really well! Shure v15 etc and other ellipticals never really worked even if they switched on the carrier.
I am wondering if a good tracking moving coil handles the high frequencies better than MM cartridges, thats why I was thinking of trying the at33sa as it has a shibata stylus but unfortunately is pretty expensive and would need a transformer especially if it I get it wrong!

this is fascinating.. and you've reminded me I read something both here and at the Hoffman forum sometime about how it was discovered a Denon HOMC cart was able to retrieve the ultrasonic stuff and track the 30khz CD-4 signal successfully despite it not having the right stylus profile!

I wonder what characteristic it is about the DL-160 that is different from other ellipticals that it works with CD-4!?

when my AT 440MLb bites the dust I'm going to get some form of MC again I think, used to love the rounded sound of my old Denon HOMC.. the AT is a bit bright sometimes.. it's probably the extended highs I'm hearing from the AT, I acknowledge that but I think I prefer a smoother sound even if it's resolving less high frequency detail maybe.. how much would an AT33sa set you back in $$?

I just ordered a working SL-701 minus the cart (supports quad playback internally) and plan to install my AT33SA to it to try out my CD-4 and why not some SQ records too. I had previously picked up a Panasonic RS-888S 4-CH All In One Stereo System to use which ironically only supports the 8-track player for quad, it actually doesn't support quad record playback! However I can use it as a 4CH receiver for the 701. So I'll have not one but 2 players side by side to try this out. Good thing is both have working record exchangers so I can load them up and relax. I'll report back my findings if this works. Anyone else try this out since the last post in 2009?

Just wanted to report in, it works! I can flip back and forth between the two amps! Still waiting on the RCA switch for the subwoofer and another RCA splitter from the turntable into both amps. Here's what it looks like right now.

Attachments

• PXL_20230315_025728220.jpg
    PXL_20230315_025728220.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230315_025621797.jpg
    PXL_20230315_025621797.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I pulled this up from a bookmark and seems I posted above in the wrong thread! Trying to navigate this forum on a phone has been wonky, I can write up a reply and a week later come here and it's cued up in the reply section over and over, seems to do this often if you use the Alerts bell up on the top bar.

About the AT33SA, it works very well for CD-4. Keep an eye out of Amazon for open box deals I got one for about 550 that looked like it the box was opened but otherwise well cared for. AT claims they will replace it when the needle wears out for about 40% cost on a brand new one. I have not experienced how well they honor this just yet when I'll have to show it was not bought new, but the last I talked with their reps about if this would work for CD-4 they didn't know but I also asked about the warranty which they said they shouldn't consider if you have the receipt or not as you have to mail the old one to them first. I have put about 200 hours on this thing, so far so good.

Back