Audition 3.0.1 Surround Encoder Hangs When Creating WAV Files Over 4GB

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berninahusq

Hi All,

I couldn't find anywhere here or on internet searches where anyone had this same problem. I use the Audition 3.0.1 Surround Encoder to create quad and 5.1 interleaved, 6-Channel Windows PCM Waveform Audio - 32-bit, normalized float (Type 3) 96 kHz/24 bit WAV files. What I find is that the Surround Encoder Export process will hang if the resulting output file will be over around 4GB in size. I say this because the export works fine for me when the Surround Encoder exports to a WAV file that is less than 4GB in size. Consequently, the only way to continue on with Audition 3.0.1 after it hangs is to go to Task Manager and end the task. Has anyone experienced this? I have tried this export process writing to a hard drive, SSD or NAS with plenty GBs (or TBs on the NAS) of available space. A workaround is to save the Audition session into two separate sessions with shorter track clips.

The Encoder works fine if I export to a Windows Media Audio 9.2 Lossless - VBR Quality 100, 96 kHz, 24 bit file. However I would need to convert the WMA file to a WAV file so that I can edit it (select and export the song tracks to separate FLAC files) in Audacity. Audicity will not import WMA files. I am ripping my SACDs to FLACs so that they are easily accessible on my NAS with the rest of my FLAC CDs, quad conversions, etc. The SACDs are currently in my Sony DVP-CX995V 400-Disc Player, but content is only accessible by the receiver that it is connected to.

I am running a Dell i7 Desktop, Windows 8.1 64-Bit, i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16.0 GB RAM, Samsung 1TB SSD.

Thanks,
Ed

Can you save to individual mono wav files & then combine in another tool?

I don't have it, its circa 2009-10 I think. It could it be running in a compatibility mode under Windows 8.1 as its not a native 64bit program, which might have file size limitations?

By any chance the destination disk is formatted in FAT?

Proufo is prob correct there is a 4 GB file size limit on FAT32 formatted discs..............where as NTFS does not. If it is an external drive or USB stick, maybe reformat to NTFS, but you would have to move your files...........once you start a reformat on the external drive or usb stick you will lose all your data.

Snood has run into this problem with large movie files

Hope ya get it figured out.

I think I figured it out. WAV files have a 4GB file size limitation. According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV):

The WAV format is limited to files that are less than 4 GB, because of its use of a 32-bit unsigned integer to record the file size header (some programs limit the file size to 2 GB). ...The W64 format was therefore created for use in Sound Forge. Its 64-bit header allows for much longer recording times."

So that explains when I saved a multi-channel audio file as WAV in Sonar X3 Studio which exceeded the 4GB limitation, that Sonar would save it as a W64 file rather than a WAV file. I can use Sonar X3 Studio instead to record 6-Channel SACDs, but it won't so far export the complete SACD clip into a FLAC or W64 file, just partially. But that's another story....

BTW, I said that my SSD is 1TB. It is formatted in NTFS because you cannot format a disk that size in FAT32. And like on my NAS devices (Netgear ReadyNAS and Synology RS3416xs) I can write files greater than 40GB+. So that proves my file systems do not have any file size limitations, at least for 4GB files.

So my workaround in Audition 3.0.1 is to export the audio file as a 6-channel WMA file (which results in a smaller file size than WAV), and then convert it to FLAC or W64 so that Audicity can read it. I just like the simplicity of the Export Selection function Audicity has to save the entire file into separate tracks. I also use Audicity to save the exported Audition multi-channel WAV files from SQ script decoded recordings into separate tracks. There have been a few instances where I had to save the recording of one side of an SQ album to two WAV files so that I could export the decoded mutli-channel WAV files without Audition hanging up because of the 4GB WAV limitation.

Thank you guys! Appreciate your help. :) Although your helpful suggestions were not the issue, it made me think that WAV files must have a size limitation. Hope this tidbit of information helps you all.

Ed

PICT0065.JPGPICT0066.JPGPICT0067.JPG

I have come into the computer age
I have put on pictures

Attachments

• PICT0068.JPG
    PICT0068.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Back