BBC and CBS SQ

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1974-29.pdf

^^^
This evaluation is rather harsh regarding the CBS SQ matrix system.

(section 4.2 Matrix B (SQ: without logic) and
(section 4.4 Matrix D (SQ: with logic)

The only SQ decoder I have is the no logic decoder in a Pioneer QX-747,
I have some SQ encoded LPs and 2 SQ encoded LaserDiscs.
The QX-747 SQ decoder provides a vague surround effect (I don't know
if the decoder uses original SQ or 10 10 blend or 10 40 blend).

I find it interesting that CBS didn't observe the problems noted by
the BBC during the development of the SQ matrix system.

Kirk Bayne

With regard to BBC experimentation with 1970s matrix technology, the priority was to produce a system which had compatibility with monophonic radio reception, for both the FM and AM radio listener!

This was supported by the British Market Research Bureau whose listener statistics stated that some 98 per cent of the expected audience would be listening in mono only and even then not necessarily on VHF FM Band 2 but on AM frequencies.

No surprise then that CBS Laboratories would not be too impressed with the BBC findings as regards SQ.

In fact I was given to understand at the time that the BBC preferred the Sansui QS system but was forced for political considerations into a compromise called Matrix H.

When this proved to be pretty poor in practice the decision was taken to go back to a halfway house of what became Matrix HJ, having avoided the letter I, which would be confused with the figure one.

I personally enjoyed very much the year long experiment, listening to the BBC Proms and the late Alan Freeman on a Saturday afternoon.

He had Pink Floyd live in the studio, broadcast the Knebworth Festival tapes in Matrix H and a variety of others when I first bought the Sansui QRX9001 in 1977. The Matrix H inbuilt was poor by the standards of later offerings and nothing compared to the discrete four channel transmissions of the Radio 2 and Radio 3 simultaneous networking to provide four independent channels.

Happy days.[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back