• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Beloved Sansui 9001 for sale - pick-up, or you arrange u-ship or concierge service, or give instructions for best shipping and packing.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadgirl

QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Hi, all. It is a sort of sad revelation, but I am getting too old to lift the equipment and fully enjoy the hobby. So I am selling my quad setups. I am coming here first because I am a long-time member and have had such great help along the way from this forum: Quadlinda, Doug, Jon, and a whole slew of others. I do not want to try to ship because of the age and size, but if you have a work-around, I am open to suggestion. I am in Columbia, SC. So, I will be posting everything from my
1. Sansui 9001 - see details below - weekly driver for 20 years! diff Mod by Jim Showker (RIP), full recap restoration 2002. Below will be description, videos, etc.
2. awesome Marantz 6300 turntable
3. AT20SS cart for quad and yes I can play cd-4 without sandpaper sound through demodulators or my 9001’s Holy Grail built-in one.
4. Technics SH-400 demodulator
5. Marantz CD-4 demodulator (both work, I just alternate)
6. Dbx Snr-1 (down to just this one and has not been used in a year).
7. Dbx 200x - ditto for not used in a year - been using zektor switch box.
8. Akai CR80 DSS - also restored about 20 years ago.
9. And last, but oh so not least, my guilty, guilty American pleasure NEVER RESTORED, but working fine, (was in second system until sold those 4 speakers and sitting pretty in rack, but not used in last year) beautiful blue dials, original wood case, with ding in it from when I bought it, full, full package - get ready - COMPLETE PACKAGE: Marantz 4400 WITH SQA2B CARD INSTALLED AND WORKING, AND ICING ON THE CAKE: Marantz RC-4 REMOTE CONTROL. I want to keep this together as a nice package. Scope had movement when last in my setup, but I don’t really know what to look for as far as how it works. Once I sell 9001, I will put it in my system and recheck and play it.

So - the 9001 is a 1978 model (one of the later ones). I love this unit and have used it regularly over these 20 years. I bought it and had a full recap/restoration 20 years ago by a member of this forum. It is working well and I am attaching videos to demonstrate. It has not had de-oxit in a while, but the controls can get staticy and that helps, but also just pushing all the buttons, even on downstream equipment and then playing. Right channel can be finicky, but same thing fixes this. Also, always check cabling and such. It may need another recap soon, but plays well as you will hear and see in my videos. It is old and vintage and lovely. But, I now really do not want to worry about things breaking or needing tweaks. As noted above, Jim Showker (rest in peace), himself, did the Diff Mod on this in 2011 (QRX Restore). He was very helpful and kind and I won’t forget that. This hobby has such blessings in the people. I have copies of the manual and service manual, see pics. I like the documentation of equipment. Anyway, over the years I had cables go bad and scratchy pots and yet always got it tweaked and working. I think it likes to be played! I have been pretty trouble-free since going to the Zektor switch. I play qs, sq and cd-4 albums and q8s. All works. But again, will be selling as is and am happy to demonstrate all media through it.

Local pickup or you arrange concierge service or U-ship type of thing and I will be here for pickup and/or to schedule and demo. If you have other ideas, please share, but it is too heavy for me to pack without help. If you know how to pack the safest way, you could get me the directions and tell me exact materials and I will get a second set of arms to gently pack and ship per your instructions. You will need to pay for shipping and supplies. Please ask any questions - you can pm me or respond here. I will accept paypal friends and family or cashiers check. Enjoy the videos and pictures. I will list more things soon from above list.

Thanks for looking! GEEZ - IT SAYS MY VIDEOS ARE TOO LONG, BUT I SHOW THE DISCRETENESS OF SOUND AND FROM DIFFERENT MEDIA. THEY TRULY SHOW OFF THE 9O01. ANY IDEA HOW I CAN make them available? I will see if I can post on Youtube, but it has been a while. MEANWHILE i will try to figure this out. If interested, maybe it will let me send out to individuals. Just ask if you think this will work. A few pics to start.

Geez - forgot price. Asking $2500 or realistic offer for a regularly used and cared-for working awesome receiver. Please see youtube short videos I put up to hear it in action. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2914.jpeg
    IMG_2914.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2915.jpeg
    IMG_2915.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4614.jpeg
    IMG_4614.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4461.jpeg
    IMG_4461.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2670.jpeg
    IMG_2670.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2920.jpeg
    IMG_2920.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2919.jpeg
    IMG_2919.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2918.jpeg
    IMG_2918.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Okay - got 3 videos up on Youtube - My handle is Bothsoundandgearlover. I don;t know how to tell you to access, but think I put 9001 in title. Also, since I have cosmic slop and jefferson airplane music to demo, not sure how long it might last up there. This is all new to me, so please try and see videos if interested and if you have time, let me know if that worked. Older three videos from 2 years ago show surplus equipment I sold then on ebay. Thanks and sorry for the hassles. I thought being under 1:15 seconds, the videos would post here. Again, user-error probably on my part.🤪

Finally - I think you can find videos by titles: 1. Sansui 9001 quad, 2. More 9001, 3. 3rd video showing 9001. Thanks for persisting!

Attachments

• IMG_0462.png
    IMG_0462.png
    620.3 KB · Views: 0
Hi, all. It is a sort of sad revelation, but I am getting too old to lift the equipment and fully enjoy the hobby. So I am selling my quad setups. I am coming here first because I am a long-time member and have had such great help along the way from this forum: Quadlinda, Doug, Jon, and a whole slew of others. I do not want to try to ship because of the age and size, but if you have a work-around, I am open to suggestion. I am in Columbia, SC. So, I will be posting everything from my
1. Sansui 9001 - see details below - weekly driver for 20 years! diff Mod by Jim Showker (RIP), full recap restoration 2002. Below will be description, videos, etc.
2. awesome Marantz 6300 turntable
3. AT20SS cart for quad and yes I can play cd-4 without sandpaper sound through demodulators or my 9001’s Holy Grail built-in one.
4. Technics SH-400 demodulator
5. Marantz CD-4 demodulator (both work, I just alternate)
6. Dbx Snr-1 (down to just this one and has not been used in a year).
7. Dbx 200x - ditto for not used in a year - been using zektor switch box.
8. Akai CR80 DSS - also restored about 20 years ago.
9. And last, but oh so not least, my guilty, guilty American pleasure NEVER RESTORED, but working fine, (was in second system until sold those 4 speakers and sitting pretty in rack, but not used in last year) beautiful blue dials, original wood case, with ding in it from when I bought it, full, full package - get ready - COMPLETE PACKAGE: Marantz 4400 WITH SQA2B CARD INSTALLED AND WORKING, AND ICING ON THE CAKE: Marantz RC-4 REMOTE CONTROL. I want to keep this together as a nice package. Scope had movement when last in my setup, but I don’t really know what to look for as far as how it works. Once I sell 9001, I will put it in my system and recheck and play it.

So - the 9001 is a 1978 model (one of the later ones). I love this unit and have used it regularly over these 20 years. I bought it and had a full recap/restoration 20 years ago by a member of this forum. It is working well and I am attaching videos to demonstrate. It has not had de-oxit in a while, but the controls can get staticy and that helps, but also just pushing all the buttons, even on downstream equipment and then playing. Right channel can be finicky, but same thing fixes this. Also, always check cabling and such. It may need another recap soon, but plays well as you will hear and see in my videos. It is old and vintage and lovely. But, I now really do not want to worry about things breaking or needing tweaks. As noted above, Jim Showker (rest in peace), himself, did the Diff Mod on this in 2011 (QRX Restore). He was very helpful and kind and I won’t forget that. This hobby has such blessings in the people. I have copies of the manual and service manual, see pics. I like the documentation of equipment. Anyway, over the years I had cables go bad and scratchy pots and yet always got it tweaked and working. I think it likes to be played! I have been pretty trouble-free since going to the Zektor switch. I play qs, sq and cd-4 albums and q8s. All works. But again, will be selling as is and am happy to demonstrate all media through it.

Local pickup or you arrange concierge service or U-ship type of thing and I will be here for pickup and/or to schedule and demo. If you have other ideas, please share, but it is too heavy for me to pack without help. If you know how to pack the safest way, you could get me the directions and tell me exact materials and I will get a second set of arms to gently pack and ship per your instructions. You will need to pay for shipping and supplies. Please ask any questions - you can pm me or respond here. I will accept paypal friends and family or cashiers check. Enjoy the videos and pictures. I will list more things soon from above list.

Thanks for looking! GEEZ - IT SAYS MY VIDEOS ARE TOO LONG, BUT I SHOW THE DISCRETENESS OF SOUND AND FROM DIFFERENT MEDIA. THEY TRULY SHOW OFF THE 9O01. ANY IDEA HOW I CAN make them available? I will see if I can post on Youtube, but it has been a while. MEANWHILE i will try to figure this out. If interested, maybe it will let me send out to individuals. Just ask if you think this will work. A few pics to start.

Geez - forgot price. Asking $2500 or realistic offer for a regularly used and cared-for working awesome receiver. Please see youtube short videos I put up to hear it in action. Thanks.
Meant to say, I will always be a participant here and enjoy hi-rez m/c music - just on lighter weight equipment. Also, I guess I will resort to ebay in a week or so if it does not sell to a quad friend here. Just would have felt bad putting it up on ebay without someone here having a chance to get a better price on a known unit. I keep getting re-attached to it, so do need to let it go. Happy Memorial day and thank-you to all the Veteran’s here!

Hi Quadgirl,

I'm sorry to hear of your situation. As we all grow older (I'm 71), we will all face these kinds of decisions. I have a lot harder time lifting my Advents than I did even a few years ago.

You have some great equipment and I hope you are able to receive their true worth in terms of money.

Most source components are relatively lightweight and hopefully, you would still be able to move them around. I have a Blu-Ray player and the quad discs available now are incredible. Of course, you could still have CD-4. You just need lighter weight amps. Maybe class D ones? A separate tuner instead of a huge receiver?

Anyway, good luck in continuing your quadraphonic/surround endeavors.

Doug

Hi Quadgirl,

I'm sorry to hear of your situation. As we all grow older (I'm 71), we will all face these kinds of decisions. I have a lot harder time lifting my Advents than I did even a few years ago.

You have some great equipment and I hope you are able to receive their true worth in terms of money.

Most source components are relatively lightweight and hopefully, you would still be able to move them around. I have a Blu-Ray player and the quad discs available now are incredible. Of course, you could still have CD-4. You just need lighter weight amps. Maybe class D ones? A separate tuner instead of a huge receiver?

Anyway, good luck in continuing your quadraphonic/surround endeavors.

Doug
Thanks, Doug. You are so right about getting older. My other issue is that I have developed an auto-immune disease that creates some bad days and weeks where I cannot even enjoy my hobby and I have become concerned that if I were to die, nobody would know what to do and would be saddled with selling or throwing away what they don’t understand. I am only 61 and have exercised and eaten right and stayed in great shape all my life in plans to enjoy retirement, but stuff happens and I am adjusting. I am enjoying m/c and quadio releases, so I can stay in the hobby with less worry if equipment failures and excess and would rather someone who “gets it” enjoy what I spent my teacher pay on for my entire career. I sure have enjoyed it and I plan to live long and be as healthy as possible and I think letting go will ultimately give me peace. Knowing someone else can enjoy this stuff and continue to take care of it will help alot. I think I just realized That down the road I won’t be able to get things freshened up and kept working. So, all in all, this really is a good step. I appreciate your kind comments and help over the years in my connections and diagrams! I have made great cheat-sheets from your help with what goes where in combining all the various equipment! Sorry this got long and personal, but I am sure we all face certain points in life like this. I will sleep better as this all unfolds.

Thanks a bunch! I too, hope to get fair deals with my sales. Take care!

Call the neighbors .
Edit: I have never heard of anyone at anytime selling quad/surround gear because it was too heavy.
Well, if you consider that things may need to be recapped or otherwise get professional care from a knowing and capable tech, and I live where there are none of these and would thus have to box up, ship, receive back and get it back in place, it does matter. Not sure why you needed to comment on this, but to each her own.

Well, if you consider that things may need to be recapped or otherwise get professional care from a knowing and capable tech, and I live where there are none of these and would thus have to box up, ship, receive back and get it back in place, it does matter. Not sure why you needed to comment on this, but to each her own.
We didn't know about your health issues, sorry for that. Hate to see people having to part with their beloved gear, it just seemed like an odd reason to do so. Wish you well! Hopefully your gear finds a good home.

I’m so sorry to hear about your health issues and what they are forcing you into doing.

I’m nowhere near you, so local pickup isn’t something I can do, but I hope you get a pretty penny from all that gorgeous gear.

Thanks, Barfle. I appreciate it. And I am not trying to blame my diagnosis, but feel maybe it just put me in a p,ace to do what all quad and other audio lovers must do at some point in a lifetime, especially if they don’t have heirs or others to leave it to. Ultimately, I am eager to begin moving to a simpler system that also lets me keep my enjoyment of quad and multi-channel music. I have tons of Dutton-Vocallion’s and many Rhino Quadio’s, so my life may be richer in other ways. I am fortunate to have come into the hobby in time to enjoy all of it and gain all the insight from all of y’all here on qq. I never could have even assembled good equipment, much less hook it up and use it properly, without y’all. So all is well in the end! I appreciate your well-wishes! Take care.

What a gorgeous looking 9001 and a lovely list of all your other gear. Love the Klipsch speaker it's stood on.

You must have collected second hand gear to get all that lot, because I'm 58 and I missed the original quad era by way more than our 3 year age difference. There'd have been almost no chance putting that lot together in the UK, quad barely made a ripple here.

WoW, sorry to hear about your health. issues. But we all have to do, what we have to do. When I first saw your add, I thought......Did I make a post?

Sansui 9001 & a Marantz 6300 is what I have, bought new in 75/76, really can't remember that far back. I personally think your selling price is on the low side. Jims son, has my 9001 now for the full restore with all the available bells and whistles.

I called them up and ordered their custom made box for the 9001, for shipping them mine.
It was in the neighborhood of $85, I believe. I just remember I couldn't buy the foam and two cardboard boxes for the cost of just buying the box from them......but beware the shipping is a killer. While UPS charges by the pound, but also the size

Best of Luck to you Quadgirl

What a gorgeous looking 9001 and a lovely list of all your other gear. Love the Klipsch speaker it's stood on.

You must have collected second hand gear to get all that lot, because I'm 58 and I missed the original quad era by way more than our 3 year age difference. There'd have been almost no chance putting that lot together in the UK, quad barely made a ripple here.
Thanks, Owen Smith! I did collect on a teacher’s salary, but spent all my money on this hobby for 20 plus years. I also missed the original quad era, but knew I loved all music of that era and always would, so it has been fun! I had a friend named Paul in the UK and years ago, he would order quad stuff from US and send it to me and I would send it on to him. I think he saved money this way. Alas, when someone terribly packed a rtr player, we sort of stopped this as it did not make the trip intact. I hope you can still enjoy the heck out of it now. And thanks about the Klipsch LaScala’s. I got early and excellent advice about them working well with 9001 for quad. I use Heresy;s for the rears. Was lucky and found a seller within a few hours of me way back when. Anyway, thanks!

WoW, sorry to hear about your health. issues. But we all have to do, what we have to do. When I first saw your add, I thought......Did I make a post?

Sansui 9001 & a Marantz 6300 is what I have, bought new in 75/76, really can't remember that far back. I personally think your selling price is on the low side. Jims son, has my 9001 now for the full restore with all the available bells and whistles.

I called them up and ordered their custom made box for the 9001, for shipping them mine.
It was in the neighborhood of $85, I believe. I just remember I couldn't buy the foam and two cardboard boxes for the cost of just buying the box from them......but beware the shipping is a killer. While UPS charges by the pound, but also the size

Best of Luck to you Quadgirl
Gosh, Bruce00! Funny, but I was going to ask and see if they would sell me a box to use to ship it to the new owner when it sells. I also lost alot, ALOT, of sleep thinking I may rather have one of my receivers made perfect by somebody good like QRX Restore for Sansui or I think there is someone on my side of the Country, maybe in Pennsylvania that does the 4400s. I would love to discuss how you mad your choice and if perhaps you might recommend a different path for me. I will reach out if I can see how to do it. Thanks!

Back