Black Sabbath Tony Martin-era box set... finally

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackwood

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
https://blabbermouth.net/news/black...rdings-anno-domini-1989-1995-to-arrive-in-may

The Martin-era was my intro Sabbath. While his time in the band isn’t often claimed as anyone’s favorite era, it is mine.

There’s been talk of this set for years, and now we finally have a release date. The Forbidden remix should be interesting to hear given the general negativity to the original.

Eternal Idol would have been a nice inclusion, but at least we’ve had a deluxe edition of that album. The Cross Purposes Live video and album would have been nice, too. At least I can get rid of the low-res versions of the bonus tracks I had downloaded off the Internet years ago.

No surround, but that was ever expected.

I hope Tony gets some money from this.
He genuinely seems like a nice bloke unlike the other greedy bastard that sang for them

Kudos to Iommi. I’ve only done a spot listen to his remix of Forbidden after getting the box set today, but you certainly won’t mistake it for the original mix. It does sound a lot better to me.

The best way I can describe it is that there’s been a layer of film between your ears and the original mix that now feels removed.

Comparing the original five second drum intro on Sick and Tired... well, somewhere Cozy is smiling.

DR values aren’t anything to write home about (mostly 7s and one 8) so I may stick with my original I.R.S. CDs when I feel the need to pull a CD out. But this box was probably worth it to me just to have the remixed album.

I assume we’ll now go back to whatever Ozzy or Dio-era sets they might have planned. However, a good-quality, full-show Cross Purpose Live CD/BD release would not go unappreciated.

DR values aren’t anything to write home about (mostly 7s and one 8) so I may stick with my original I.R.S. CDs when I feel the need to pull a CD out. But this box was probably worth it to me just to have the remixed album.

Yeah, I was quite disappointed about the compressed sound when I heard the few tracks they posted online before the boxset was released. I have the original CD editions. I'd like to have the book that comes with it, but I won't be getting the box just for the book. And I can live without owning the remix of Forbidden in physical format. I'll stream it on Tidal. I'm reading mostly very positive reactions about the remix, so I'm looking forward to checking it out myself!

It's nice anyway that these great and somewhat underrated albums are available again for anyone who's interested.

My Black Sabbath- Anno Domini 4 CD Box Set from Rhino arrived, this will be fun.
BlackSabbath_AD1989-1995_4CDproductshot (1).jpeg

Enjoying this 4 CD Stereo box set. Tony Martin comes very close to Dio, I can see why they hired him.
I do like Tony Marin with Black Sabbath better than Dio with Black Sabbath, more straight ahead and not so much middle earth stuff.
Plus discs 1, 2 & 4 you get the late great Cozy Powell.
First three discs are remasters whereas Forgotten Disc 4 is a remix, by Tony Iommi.
Keeping my Black Sabbath box sets intact by adding this latest edition.

71Yqnn6fyYL._SL1500_.jpg

Back