Blood Sweat & Tears - and confusion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boojidad

In Mark's discography, the first entry for the classic Blood Sweat & Tears album is

Columbia PC-9270 (DY) {Only one cut,"Spinning Wheel", is encoded}

For one thing, I think the catalog number is switched and should be 9720 instead of 9270. But more importantly, this seems to refer to the standard stereo issue, which came out a few years before its quad counterpart. So what's the story? That later issues of the stereo had a quad/matrix mix of 'Spinning Wheel'? Or was it there from the beginning?? If it is somehow there, is it the same edit on the SQ album that is based on the 45? Is this a reference to a non-U.S. release? Something ain't adding up here.

I noticed that too, Boojidad, but didn't want to bust Mark's chops. CS 9720 came out in late '68, which predates SQ. It is one of my 10 favorite albums. If it decodes nicely in SQ, it must be purely serendipitous. BS&T Greatest Hits and self titled (2nd album-9720) were released in Quad in late '72, early '73. I talked Lafayette into giving me Greatest Hits for free when I bought my CR80-DSS in February '73. And it was on sale for $239.

Linda
In Mark's discography, the first entry for the classic Blood Sweat & Tears album is

Columbia PC-9270 (DY) {Only one cut,"Spinning Wheel", is encoded}

For one thing, I think the catalog number is switched and should be 9720 instead of 9270. But more importantly, this seems to refer to the standard stereo issue, which came out a few years before its quad counterpart. So what's the story? That later issues of the stereo had a quad/matrix mix of 'Spinning Wheel'? Or was it there from the beginning?? If it is somehow there, is it the same edit on the SQ album that is based on the 45? Is this a reference to a non-U.S. release? Something ain't adding up here.

I think that came from Larry Clifton's Multichannel Review 'Quad Incorporated' listings.
Could it be that the track was one of the first to demonstrate DY encoding? I seem to recall that they were playing around with 4 channel stuff in the second half of the '60s. Could have been a secret test of some sort.
Larry would know, but he hasn't checked in here in years, sadly.

Back