Burke Shelley - Budgie Bassist & frontman dies aged 71 RIP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Sadly it was announce this morning that Burke Shelley the Bassist and frontman of Budgie died last night, he was only 71. I think he had been ill for some time.
Budgie legend Burke Shelley dies aged 71 (planetradio.co.uk)
They were a Welsh band who had a tremendous following, but sadly never hit the really big time. Fans of Metallica will know them, as Metallica did a great cover of Breadfan.

I have all the albums, of which my favourite album of theirs is 1974s "In For The Kill" unfortunately I only saw them once, sometime during their 1974-75 tour when they played Hatfield Polytechnic, near where I lived.
BudgieInfortheKill19742615457DP_f.jpg
RIP Burke Shelley

May he rest in peace. I had tickets to see them in 2010 but that volcano in Iceland erupted, messed up air travel and so the tour was canceled. Great band!

My favourite album of theirs, Squawk. R.I.P
Favourite songs Young is a World and for a Rocker, Hot as a Dockers Armpit.
Unfortunately, they were labelled as "the poor mans Black Sabbath"
(How do I know ? I used to get Melody Maker every week delivered to me from the UK..16,000 km away !)

Sure . . . will check it out!!!!! On the right are listed all the songs on the LP. Again the Web proves its worthiness to the Quad Crowd by allowing us easy access to tunes mentioned that, in wild old days, may have required a trek to the record store . . . maybe the used record store for older or rare stuff . . . and either listen there or buy and take home.

The Web has made a lazy man outta' me!!

I somehow missed not only this thread but also just the news of his death. I've been a Budgie since the Seventies, when I was a teenager. I saw them once then and once in the Nineties. Great live band. I love all their albums through Impeckable, which I understand some of their fans dislike. I have one of their later albums, but it's nowhere near as good as their earlier stuff, in my opinion.

They got lots of airplay around here and even recorded a live album here in 2002.
cover.jpg

Back