Cable TV Replacement Recommendations?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have DIRECTV. A couple weeks ago one of our family was visiting. She set up YouTube tv putting us on her account. I was impressed right away with the picture quality. There are other family members on the account (I think you can have six) and we split the bill five ways so about $15 apiece. The only channel missing is the History channel and there are new ones we haven’t tried but look interesting. So far pretty happy with YTTV.

Like many of you, I've got Directv and ESPN+ and Amazon Prime -- along with internet fees to Frontier and Verizon. We're paying way too much.

We also bought an Amazon Recast device a few years back for over the air (OTA) channels and recording. Amazon no longer sells them, but you can find them on Ebay. We absolutely love the Recast. You must use a Firestick to watch it on your TVs. A benefit of the Recast is that it has a channel guide and allows recording of shows (in advance and series recording). I've hooked up a 10 TB storage device for nearly unlimited recording.

One of the best aspects of the Recast is that we can watch the live broadcast or recordings via the internet when we're away from home or traveling via a phone app.

For the OTA antenna I have a Channel Master Extremtenna on top of my house, and I use an older Radio Shack antenna booster.

We get about 50 OTA channels using this set-up (most we don't watch) - ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, CW, Fox, MeTV, lots of sub-channels with great old shows.

The https://www.antennaweb.org is a good site to use to find the OTA antenna channels in your area, and the best type of antenna to purchase. It also shows which way to point the antenna to get the channels.

Hope this info can help someone.

I've got a little indoor small flat box amp'd antenna that gets me a couple handfuls of strong local
stations. I'd like to put up an outdoor one but living in the "lightning capital of the US" that ain't
happenin. A strike somewhere outdoors already cost me my computer/server, Marantz 7703 pre/pro, a $150 active HDMI cable and more a little over a year ago. :mad:

I've got a little indoor small flat box amp'd antenna that gets me a couple handfuls of strong local
stations. I'd like to put up an outdoor one but living in the "lightning capital of the US" that ain't
happenin. A strike somewhere outdoors already cost me my computer/server, Marantz 7703 pre/pro, a $150 active HDMI cable and more a little over a year ago. :mad:
You could install a sophisticated lighting arrester system. But you might have to sell all of the equipment that you are trying to protect to afford it. I've seem some on historic buildings that are quite elaborate.

I live in the shadow of a hill so I need a large metal pole on my chimney to lift the antenna a bit higher, still needs a high gain antenna with a built in RF amp. Not a lot of lightening here, it tends to stay out to sea (roughly half a mile way). I have something similar to this in-line with the antenna https://www.channelmaster.com/products/tv-antenna-lightning-surge-suppressor-cm-3205. As far as I know it works!

I live in the shadow of a hill so I need a large metal pole on my chimney to lift the antenna a bit higher, still needs a high gain antenna with a built in RF amp. Not a lot of lightening here, it tends to stay out to sea (roughly half a mile way). I have something similar to this in-line with the antenna https://www.channelmaster.com/products/tv-antenna-lightning-surge-suppressor-cm-3205. As far as I know it works!
Some of the comments on that link are a hoot.:ROFLMAO:

You could install a sophisticated lighting arrester system. But you might have to sell all of the equipment that you are trying to protect to afford it. I've seem some on historic buildings that are quite elaborate.

Lucky for us our house had lightning rods installed on the roof when we bought. Even luckier, never needed them. So far.

Just for a giggle....
My wife has been sorting through some old paper records of her parents. From 1986 she found a bill from Tele-cable (morphed into Spectrum years later) for a premium bundle including HBO. Cost: $29.36.

Ah the days of analog cable TV and Channel 3 RF coax hook ups.

Just for a giggle....
My wife has been sorting through some old paper records of her parents. From 1986 she found a bill from Tele-cable (morphed into Spectrum years later) for a premium bundle including HBO. Cost: $29.36.

Ah the days of analog cable TV and Channel 3 RF coax hook ups.
Adjusting for inflation that's like $827, isn't it? :unsure:

Also, I'm not particularly good at maths.

My only option for high speed internet is $80/month.
There are various specials/bundles on the brochure for less or even half but they make you include a retro cable TV style option as part of that and then the price is over $100/month again. Broadcast TV was 20 years ago now for me. Watching a live broadcast on someone's schedule is more of a special event feeling kind of thing now.

I wouldn't mind an option in between (even with half the current speeds)! Maybe let me put some of those funds toward hosting a webpage or something. With $80/month being the lowest bare bones option, it's all I can do to support just that! Kind of have to have high speed internet in this world at minimum.

Here, the OTA DTV "sub"channels also have DD 2.0 stereo sound, which means the Dolby Surround encoding is preserved (important with Comet TV [Stargate, New Outer Limits etc.] and COZI TV [Miami Vice recently]).

IMHO, the BBC makes a good case for streaming only (TV and radio) content distribution:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/dec/07/bbc-will-go-online-only-by-2030s-says-director-general

as does the CBC:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-cbc-digital-streaming/

Might be helpful - cable converting to broadband:
https://www.highspeedinternet.com/resources/docsis-3-0-vs-docsis-3-1

Kirk Bayne

Back