Carly Simon's "No Secrets," Mixed for Atmos by Frank Filipetti, Coming Soon?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for understanding! I almost forgot to let y'all know that there are 3 other Carly tracks in Atmos. These were also mixed in Atmos by Frank Filipetti and mastered in Atmos by me.

Anticipation:

You Belong to Me:

Mockingbird:
So nice! (I'd love to have heard the call-and-response vocals on "Mockingbird" divided across two or more channels, but who am I to quibble with Frank Filipetti?)

It'd be great to see Carly's other quads get Atmos upgrades--or at least the remaining tracks on Greatest Hits!

So nice! (I'd love to have heard the call-and-response vocals on "Mockingbird" divided across two or more channels, but who am I to quibble with Frank Filipetti?)

It'd be great to see Carly's other quads get Atmos upgrades--or at least the remaining tracks on Greatest Hits!
This I can answer! Carly and James' vocals were tracked on 1 mic so no separation possible, within reason.

So what's happened? 😵‍💫
Did a lone listener get a false impression back in September that the Apple Atmos mix for this song was not up to snuff?

Nobody bothered to listen closely enough to confirm or dispute that opinion at the time because it came from a respected "influencer"?

Or was there truly an earlier flawed mix withdrawn and replaced last week when the entire album came out?

Just wondering. :unsure:
I can help with this too. Originally "You're So Vain," "Mockingbird," "You Belong to Me." and "The Right Thing to Do" were slated to be released on Dec. 2nd. For some reason they delayed the release but Atmos was "enabled" for "You're So Vain" which applied some algorithm to the original stereo mix. It sounded awful but nothing was resolved until the entire album was released. It was unfortunate but these things happen. I'm just happy the real Atmos mix is now available.

I can help with this too. Originally "You're So Vain," "Mockingbird," "You Belong to Me." and "The Right Thing to Do" were slated to be released on Dec. 2nd. For some reason they delayed the release but Atmos was "enabled" for "You're So Vain" which applied some algorithm to the original stereo mix. It sounded awful but nothing was resolved until the entire album was released. It was unfortunate but these things happen. I'm just happy the real Atmos mix is now available.
Thanks for that explanation. (Although the idea that an algorithmically synthesized track could so easily get past Apple's ostensible prohibitions against such things is sort of dismaying.) I think those other tunes were also released last fall with dubious "Atmos" mixes. Wonderful that they've now been replaced with the real McCoy.

Last edited:
Back