DVD/DTS Poll Cave, Nick & The Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads [DTS 96-24/DD DVD+CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Nick Cave & TBS - MURDER BALLADS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments on Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads (DTS96/24 Dolby) DVD(y)(n)

Attachments

• nick cave murder ballads.jpg
    nick cave murder ballads.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 599
Just finally getting around to the new Cave discs...

hwkn - the mix was done byKevin Paul with ex-Bad Seed Mick Harvey (it seems Mick's been basically in charge of this whole project even though he's not in the band anymore).

Okay, this is one of my fave Nick Cave albums so I was looking forward to the 5.1 mix, and it does not disappoint. Most definitely not an ambient mix, the rears are well used. The piano and organ stabs in Stagger Lee, "la la la" backing vocals in Lovely Creature, harmonies in choruses of Wild Roses, organ inMillhaven etc etc

This was always a decent sounding album but the 5.1 mix really brings it a whole new life. I heard so many little subtleties that were lost before. Very little movement in the mix, just placing things around the room and giving them room to breathe makes a huge difference.

Very happy with this one.

This one hasn't really grabbed me... I prefer No More shall We Part..

......This is not an album that you can play with children around..

actually you probably can't play it in front of alot of women either..

but it's a great album...and a great mix...

highlight is probably "Stagger Lee"...which is possibly the most vulgar track on the disc

This one is that rara avis - a prefect 10.
Sonically, it has never sounded better to me and the 5.1 mix is absolutely stonking.
Obvious highlights are "Where The Wild Roses Grow" with the delicious Kylie assisting her fellow colonial on vocals & looking gorgeous in that water.....wet silk & Kylie....I think it might be cold shower time, but I digress.....
As Christopher says, not an album to play in front of children - but the best single sentence to describe this is quite simply "What's not to like?"

Sonically, it has never sounded better to me and the 5.1 mix is absolutely stonking.
Obvious highlights are "Where The Wild Roses Grow" with the delicious Kylie assisting her fellow colonial on vocals & looking gorgeous in that water.....wet silk & Kylie....I think it might be cold shower time, but I digress.....
As Christopher says, not an album to play in front of children - but the best single sentence to describe this is quite simply "What's not to like?"

Stonking? Please: for the Americans, define that word?

Not a "perfect" disc for me, but very close. Certainly a really enjoyable listen. Still trying to decide whether I prefer this one or "The Good Son" as they both stood out as the better two of the four Nick Cave discs I recently purchased (but "Tender Prey" is a close bronze medalist for sure).
Now the question remains, which ones to buy next? There are still a lot of them out there to buy, not to mention all of the other high-res discs floating around that I have yet to catch… :)

Now the question remains, which ones to buy next? There are still a lot of them out there to buy, not to mention all of the other high-res discs floating around that I have yet to catch… :)

Difficult choice for sure - I can recommend "Nocturama" highly (especially the 15 minute epic "Babe, I'm On Fire" that closes this) or the double album "Abbatoir Blues/Lyre Of Orpheus".
I like them all a lot - very under rated.

Difficult choice for sure - I can recommend "Nocturama" highly (especially the 15 minute epic "Babe, I'm On Fire" that closes this) or the double album "Abbatoir Blues/Lyre Of Orpheus".
I like them all a lot - very under rated.

"Nocturama" sounds like the choice for me out of those 2, but I may go for some of the others first, as they are currently selling for a slightly cheaper price on amazon. :)

Holy bump resurrection.
I got introduced to Nick Cave last year, and I started from the latest to a few back, but not thaaat back, the farthest I got was Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!
What should I listen from the 5.1 options available?

ScoreArtistTitleFormatVotes10987654321Outliers
8.79Nick Cave & the Bad SeedsMURDER BALLADS[ADVD]1445320000000
8.38Nick Cave & the Bad SeedsBOATMAN'S CALL[ADVD]1616720000000
8.38Nick Cave & the Bad SeedsTHE GOOD SON[ADVD]1324430000000
8.31Nick Cave & the Bad SeedsDIG, LAZARUS, DIG!!![ADVD]1305710000000
8.00Nick Cave & the Bad SeedsLET LOVE IN

I would spin the Best Of to see which Nick speaks to you and roll from there. Murder Ballads from that list though.

*EDIT to keep Marpow off my back ;-) *
Surround Mix: Not as adventurous as I like but solid. 7 = 2.1
Audio Fidelity: The fidelity is much better than my old CD. 7 = 2.1
Content: The album is dark, but often times hauntingly beautiful. 9 = 2.7
Package: Simple yet easy to use, no reason to bang them for it being exactly what it claims to be. 8 = .8

Surround 7 (2.1)
Audio 7 (2.1)
Content 9 (2.7)
Package 8 (.8)

7.7 rounds to 8, which is fair for this release; worth having and getting the occassional spin.

Last edited:
Back