DVD/DTS Poll Cave, Nick & The Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call [DTS 96-24/DD DVD+CD]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the Audio-DVD of Nick Cave & TBS - BOATMAN'S CALL

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

LizardKing

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
This (like No More Shall We Part) doesn't have an overly agressive surround mix. But it does have a very nice "plush" sound to it...

inquadwetrust

300 Club - QQ All-Star
A beautiful album and about as far removed from their early days as you get. Plush is the right word, it's a very elegant mix and is subtle in the rears but it's beautifully balanced from track to track. I think I hit play and no adjustment was required throughout. It's one of those discs that Oppo 'Pure' mode allows to breath a little more.

A 10 for me as the set is a fine document of a classic album.

JohnA

beautifully crafted, total contrast to the comedic (but unique) Murder Ballads.
this one is Lou Reed-ish, but not quite

gave it an 8 as it hasn't got even a hint of the menace and (to my ears) he went soft without compensating on another front.
surround is ambient, works fine for this minimalistic effort.

RustyStatic

QQ Supporter
What the heck is going on with “Into My Arms” though? That might be my single favorite Nick Cave song, and for some reason an alternate vocal was used for the chorus of the surround version where he loses the hard “T” in the word “into”, making it sound like “innoo my arms”... and it’s crazy how that robs the song of so much power and is so distracting! Anyone know more about this? I guess it’s minor in the grand scheme but man, did that bum me out.

azazel

What the heck is going on with “Into My Arms” though? That might be my single favorite Nick Cave song, and for some reason an alternate vocal was used for the chorus of the surround version where he loses the hard “T” in the word “into”, making it sound like “innoo my arms”... and it’s crazy how that robs the song of so much power and is so distracting! Anyone know more about this? I guess it’s minor in the grand scheme but man, did that bum me out.
100%. The song is ruined.

What's even more irritating is that the stereo mix on the same disc doesn't have the same problem. What were they thinking??