CD Poly Inner Sleeves--are their materials safe? Which are best to use, and can fit mini LP albums without crumpling up?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmmBopbopbop

I got some CD poly inner sleeves for various cardsleeve releases that don't protect the CD, and am wondering, are these generally acid free?

I got some of these ones from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Anti-S...id=1695597545&sprefix=cd+inner,aps,174&sr=8-3
And the material says it's LLDPE. However, I've noticed some out there are HDPE. There was a reviewer on Amazon that claimed that a similar LLDPE sleeve left milky residue on his CDs over time and became unplayable. And some claimed that HDPE affected vinyl. Do I need to switch to HDPE sleeves?

Lastly, are there any HDPE sleeves that actually fit mini lp albums without wrinkling up?

I got some CD poly inner sleeves for various cardsleeve releases that don't protect the CD, and am wondering, are these generally acid free?

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Anti-S...id=1695597545&sprefix=cd+inner,aps,174&sr=8-3
And the material says it's LLDPE. However, I've noticed some out there are HDPE. There was a reviewer on Amazon that claimed that a similar LLDPE sleeve left milky residue on his CDs over time and became unplayable. And some claimed that HDPE affected vinyl. Do I need to switch to HDPE sleeves?

Lastly, are there any HDPE sleeves that actually fit mini lp albums without wrinkling up?

I bought these very sleeves over a year ago for the same reason as you. And after seeing this topic, I pulled out the sets that I used these sleeves with, and yep, nearly all the CD surfaces have some sort of "milky" discoloration of varying degrees. I took a microfiber cloth to one and gently wiped the disc and it seemed to help some but I think it might be better to find an appropriate cleaning solution (suggestions anyone?). Oddly, of the few blu-ray discs that I had in these sleeves, they seemed to have little affect on the discs.

I'm on my second set of these poly sleeves and so far ... so good. Just checked some of my discs for that 'milky residue' and found none! Could humidity play a part? Probably. But I find these poly sleeves are a better alternative than placing the discs in a cardboard enclosure without them......keeps them from scratching.

Attachments

• Cropped.jpg
    Cropped.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 0
Proufo thats the brand I bought a year ago from amazon.
Maybe I should trash them

I also bought these about a year or two ago. I’ve checked the few I remember off the top of my head and don’t see anything abnormal. I will be real surprised if this is true but I am erring on the side of caution and have removed them. I am going to test a disc that I don’t care about and check it after a couple of years.

I took your advice Dunc and just ordered 200 of these MADE IN JAPAN poly sleeves!

I was purchasing them in packs of 20 from CDJapan but figured the AmazonUS deal [100 for $10] was a GREAT DEAL never thinking they were harmful to the discs.

Live and Learn EVERY DAY!
Did I read that right… you found them on Amazon? Do you know who manufactures them? I found some manufactured by Lucausd on Amazon, are they the ones you ordered?

I just purchased a package of the ones reccomended by Duncan too
Made in Japan.
I'll toss the Amazon ones cant take a chance on damaging irreplacable discs.

I think it was my Doobie Bros. quadio set that I noticed a residue on the discs, so I discarded the sleeves. The discs play fine, but I noticed it during my first listens, so longterm I have no idea.

I think it was my Doobie Bros. quadio set that I noticed a residue on the discs, so I discarded the sleeves. The discs play fine, but I noticed it during my first listens, so longterm I have no idea.

I can't remember whether the Doobie Quadio set came with an inner sleeve or if I put them on. I don't remember putting them on. The point is, it would be a shame if some of the discs we receive have packaging that will damage them in the long run.

Latest posts

Back