CD4 Savior ?????

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surroundophile

Surroundophile
Since 2002/2003
The September issue of STEREOPHILE has an advertisement on page 34 for a Laserturntable. This may have been discussed here before, but I'm, not sure.
Anyway, checking their website, www.smartdev.com, reveals that the unit reads the groove with a laser, and can be adjusted to read a part of the groove where previous stylus damage hasn't occured. Also the specs say it's response is 20 to over 40k, so it should reproduce the CD4 carrier. Output is standard magnetic cartridge out, meaning preamp level requiring RIAA equalization. So it can be plugged into a CD4 Demodulator.
The only problem is the cost......from $10,500 to $14,300 depending on the model.
Anybody here own any oil wells, and is willing to buy it so we can transfer all CD4's in existance to DTS CDs ?

I think maybe "rustyandi" has done this. Anyone here remember, or maybe Ron can chime in.

JonUrban said:
I think maybe "rustyandi" has done this. Anyone here remember, or maybe Ron can chime in.

If they throw in a free dancing banana or two that price is definitely acceptable!!!!

I posted this info sseveral moonths ago, but it was on the other site. Anyone who remembers can delete. Anyway, I contacted the company a year or two ago. You could then get a table for about $7000 to $11,000. They assured me that it would work fine for CD4. I located someone in my area who had provided the name to the company as someone who would let you try it. I had visions of a real CD4 test (matrix too), but the local fellow said he was very busy and would call when he could arrange a time. Needless to say, no call. I think I scared him off. Still like to try one out with the Marantz flagelator.
Marc

surroundophile said:
The September issue of STEREOPHILE has an advertisement on page 34 for a Laserturntable. This may have been discussed here before, but I'm, not sure.
Anyway, checking their website, www.smartdev.com, reveals that the unit reads the groove with a laser, and can be adjusted to read a part of the groove where previous stylus damage hasn't occured. Also the specs say it's response is 20 to over 40k, so it should reproduce the CD4 carrier. Output is standard magnetic cartridge out, meaning preamp level requiring RIAA equalization. So it can be plugged into a CD4 Demodulator.
The only problem is the cost......from $10,500 to $14,300 depending on the model.
Anybody here own any oil wells, and is willing to buy it so we can transfer all CD4's in existance to DTS CDs ?

I always wondered about using one of the laser turntables for CD-4 discs. Sounds like a great idea since it wouldn't wear down the sometimes fragile 30kHz carrier tone on the discs.

bmoura said:
I always wondered about using one of the laser turntables for CD-4 discs. Sounds like a great idea since it wouldn't wear down the sometimes fragile 30kHz carrier tone on the discs.
I wasn't thinking so much about wearing down the subcarrier as much as getting ALL the signal that was pressed there originally, so as to get a good copy without any distortion to transfer to DTS cd.

I just read your notes about the laser T/Table
So I went to mine to try it out
I have never tried to play CD4 before as I thought that it would not play
Much to my supprise it lit up the carrier light and played CD4
I have not set up the seperation disc yet but it looks very good
I will play around with it some more and let you know
Ron

rustyandi said:
I just read your notes about the laser T/Table
So I went to mine to try it out
I have never tried to play CD4 before as I thought that it would not play
Much to my supprise it lit up the carrier light and played CD4
I have not set up the seperation disc yet but it looks very good
I will play around with it some more and let you know
Ron

Cool! Thanks Ron. I actually thought that you would have tried it by now.

Back